“Top Drawer” 5 of 5 stars

Certificate of Excellence 2014
Des Moines, Iowa
“Top Drawer”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 20, 2010

I had the pleasure of staying at this hotel with a friend over Valentine's Day weekend. I got an amazing deal via priceline. This was my second stay here and this place is awesome. Although it's an extended stay hotel, it covers all the bases and would be good for any type of traveler.

This hotel has a lot of freebies. There's a free breakfast buffet, a free dinner reception on certain nights during the week, free wi-fi, free internet in the business center, free fountain soda and coffee anytime, free USA Today, etc. There's a swimming pool, basketball court, gym, DVD player, and cable with lots of channels.

The breakfast buffet is very good. I've paid for worse buffets. There are scrambled and hard-boiled eggs, waffles, bagels, toast, yogurt, oatmeal, fresh fruit, french toast sticks, cereal, muffins, pastries, milk, juices, and either bacon, sausage, or corned beef hash. This buffet tided us over to dinner so we didn't have to worry about lunch. And if someone were staying for an extended period of time, there's enough variety that he or she could have something different everyday.

One minor gripe about the buffet is that I couldn't find any trays. I wanted breakfast in the room, so I had to make multiple trips. It wouldn't been nice to have a tray to transport the food and drinks. Another minor gripe about the buffet this time was there was no bacon, which is my favorite food. I hate sausage and that was the breakfast meat for all 3 days. There was enough other stuff. I just wish they would've changed it up with some bacon or taylor ham-anything but sausage.

The hotel is quiet and cozy with a fireplace greeting you when coming in from the cold outside. The rooms are nice. We just had a small studio room, but the hotel offers suites with 2 bedrooms and 2 baths that are huge. They all have full kitchens with things someone might need if they wanted to cook for themselves. It was nice to have a big refridgerator to store our leftovers in and to have plates and utensils to eat with. They have menus for Baldwins (really good pizza) and TGI Fridays if you want to order in. We used the DVD player to watch a lot of movies and the free wi-fi was fast.

There were a few minor problems we had with the room. We both agreed that the pillows were bad. They're too soft and not firm at all. We also found the pullout couch to be more comfortable to than the bed because it was right next to the air vent. We slept a little better over there.

The walls were thin. We could hear a baby crying next door (which didn't bother us) and we were very loud so I'm sure they could hear us too. The hotel wasn't very busy when we were there and we wondered why they put people so close together. Selfishly it would've been nice to have a few rooms between us and others so no one had to hear us, but I'm sure it's good for cleaning purposes to have everyone together. My friend was also disturbed by the black curtain that was there for decoration and wouldn't shut because she wanted the room as dark as possible.

Check-in and checkout were a breeze and all of the staff were friendly. Free Internet in the business center was nice for printing out directions and boarding passes even though nothing ever printed out quite right. There didn't appear to be any security. Anyone could come over, walk right in, enjoy the free breakfast buffet, and do some free laundry without anybody catching them. Everytime I walked in or out there wasn't anyone at the front desk. I didn't feel unsafe. It's just something I noticed.

The hotel is located very close to I-80, but it's secluded, there's no sign for it. and you'd easily miss your turn if you didn't know where you were going. I wouldn't recommend this as a New York City destinaton hotel. It's doable either by car or train, but that commute's a killer. It might be a good hotel to go to if you just need to go to the city once or every now and then.

Despite my very minor issues with the hotel, I would strongly recommemd this place to anyone because of the aforementioned amenities. None of the problems I had were dealbreakers and I will definitely stay here again. For the price I paid I coudn't do any better. It was cheaper than lower-rated hotels that offered no amenities and offered more amenities than higher-rated, way more expensive places, so staying here was a no-brainer.

• Stayed February 2010, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (26)
Livingston
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 19, 2010

Staybridge was the next best thing to home while we were renovating our house for over 4 mons. We are a family of 4 and stayed at a one bedroom. I loved that there was a separate bedroom from the living room. The entire staff, Genevieve, Mary Ellen and both Vanessa was always so friendly and accomodating in anything we needed. All the available amenities including the breakfast and dinner certainly helped out too. I was actually sad when we checked out as it felt like home.

I usually don't take the time to give my reviews on anything but I felt compelled to do so because our stay really alleviated alot of my anxiety in a very long and stressful situation. I would definitely recommend this hotel whether it be a short or long stay.

• Stayed February 2010, traveled with family
Phoenix, Arizona
4 of 5 stars Reviewed December 10, 2009

A good stay. Wasn't too hard to find, sandwiched between Rts 46 & 80. Got this hotel off of Hotwire for $65/nite. The suite was clean - with full kitchen. Was missing a can opener and called down to receive it within the hour. Glasses, plates, silverware, pots, pans, dish detergent, towels, soap, iron, ironing board etc, all provided.

The breakfast buffet is good - belgian waffles with topping, bagels, cereal - hot & cold; eggs - hard boiled and scrambled, sausage, fruit salad, juices, muffins, pastries, donuts and hot drinks.

The reviewer who mentioned about the elevator bing-bong is right! I was far from the elevator but I could see where it would be annoying. Yet, all in all - I would stay here again. It's in a corporate area that seemed to be very quiet.

Pathmark is close on Rt. 46. Shoprite is at a distance. I was hard pressed to find a drugstore though, NO Walgreens, CVS, nearby.

• Stayed November 2009, traveled on business
novato, CA
3 of 5 stars Reviewed November 17, 2009

good points:

this is a new-ish suite hotel close to rte. 46 but far enough from it so there is no street noise. they had fairly good rates (i paid $89/night for a studio suite when i booked through priceline). the rooms were spacious and clean and there was a good fruit salad at breakfast with very fresh fruit. also, there seemed to be a lot of families there with youngish kids so if you are traveling as a family (i wasn't), then it seems to provide a good environment. also, you could cook in your room if you needed to (i didn't).

bad points:

do NOT get a room near an elevator unless you can sleep through a war. they make a very loud bing-bong sound everytime the door opens which could drive you crazy. i asked for a room far from the elevators so it was ok. the walls may be a bit thin or the beds badly positioned from one room to the next (beds up next to the same wall in adjacent rooms is what i mean here). i could hear the person snoring in the room next to me and had to get moved to a different room in the middle of the night. the staff was good about this and was generally helpful.

for my purposes a marriott fairfield inn or sheraton probably would have been a better choice. however, the place may be right for others with families.

• Stayed November 2009, traveled solo
Geneva, Switzerland
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 8, 2009

I always stay at the Staybridge Suites in Parsipanny. Rooms include a well equipped kitchen, sitting area, bedroom and bathroom. Rooms are clean and comfortable, wifi works fine everytime (and is free). Staff is very friendly

• Stayed September 2009, traveled on business
Seattle
3 of 5 stars Reviewed June 18, 2009

The Staybridge is a 3 star business hotel whose rooms include a fully equipped kitchen, a sitting room and a bedroom and bath. All the mechanicals worked fine but the shower lacked an anti-slip pad or surface. Beds were really soft. Breakfast was OK. Wi-Fi worked fine. Staff was friendly.

• Stayed June 2009, traveled as a couple
New Jersey
1 of 5 stars Reviewed June 9, 2009

I stayed in a one bedroom suite which looked OK at first glance. The only thing I noticed was there was hair in the bathtub and on some of the towels. However, I woke up with 5 bites on my right leg which are red and itch. I think the management at this facility should be ashamed of themselves. The rooms need a thorough cleaning and a pest control service should be brought in to deal with the insect problem. PLEASE DO NOT SPEND YOUR MONEY AT THIS HOTEL!!!!

• Stayed June 2009, traveled solo

Been to Sonesta ES Suites Parsippany? Share your experiences!