“Mixed thoughts, had a bad experience.” 3 of 5 stars

Special Offer
Book Now and Save 15%
Ranked #2 of 17 Hotels in Parsippany
Massapequa, New York
“Mixed thoughts, had a bad experience.”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed November 17, 2011

I was torn on how many stars to give this property. I decided on 3. My husband and I needed a place to stay in NJ overnight for a family affairs early on a Saturday, and it was easier to stay overnight than drive 2 hours from Long Island super early in the morning. We had out confirmation number ready to go. We also read POSITIVE reviews on this website so we figured it would be a good option.
The hotel was easy enough to find, it's on the main road, but leaving the parking lot after is tricky because you can't make a left turn. So we walk in and go up to the front desk and give our name to the person there, whose name was Phillip. He looks and says... could it be under another name? We say no. We give the confirmation number...he finally finds the reservation and says we already checked in. Well, that's funny. We were standing right there. And no other family was staying in that hotel so no one else would have checked us in. AND THEY NEVER ASKED FOR ID'S!!! Seriously? So.. he leaves the desk to go to the room we are supposedly checked into, and finds luggage there.
They were having a lot of basketball players there for the weekend for a tournament so someone earlier checked in our room without checking ID's or anything.
We knew the hotel was pretty much booked, so I started getting really annoyed at the guy because we HAD a reservation.
He was obnoxious and just kept saying "I am working on it."
So he "finds" a room on the 4th floor and sends us up. Well, it turned out to be a handycapped room, with 2 double beds, when we were supposed to have a king and we paid for a room with a fridge and this did not have one. As we were walking in, the phone was ringing and it was the front desk guy asking if this was ok. I said no, this was handy capped and not what we asked for. He said there was one king room but it was on the 1st floor. I asked to go look at it. So we left our bags in the room on the 4th floor and went to look at the room on the first floor, which is what we paid for. Even though a side parking lot was outside the window, we opted to take the room we paid for. So we got switched. This situation made me want to give the hotel 1 or 2 stars. After we got a room and I said I was writing management so we could get out of paying for the hotel due to the trouble, we were offered something from the "gift area" (snacks and stuff) but I wasn't in the mood and we didn't need anything anyway. I should have taken something though.
The room itself was clean and nice. BUT it was FREEZING. We jacked the heat to 85 to warm it up, but it NEVER got that warm. Thank god we were only staying the night and leaving in the morning. Also, the toilet kept running at one point after my husband used it so we had to take the top of the tank off and jiggle the handle to get it to stop. We didn't feel like calling maintenance and waiting for them at 10 pm.
Luckily we never heard noise from the parking lot. The windows were frosted too so no one could see in. The bed was comfortable and the facilities were modern.
HOWEVER. The sink counter was SO HIGH. I am only 5'0" and I had trouble leaning over to wash my face in the sink. I couldn't believe how high it was... and if you have small children, they will never be able to reach it. I said to my husband I would have had to bring a stool or sat them on the counter if we had kids! That was a terrible design.
Also, the lights were dim in the room, and the ceilings were high. The only bright light was over the sink and I couldn't lean far enough over to do my makeup in the mirror so I had to jump onto the counter and sit there.
My husband enjoyed the free wi-fi and like the couch area to sit and play online while I was in bed.
The free breakfast was decent enough. They had eggs, sausage, 4 cold cereals, instand oatmeal packets, fruit, bagels, english muffins, bread and a plate of donuts and muffins. The breakfast area was clean and there was a woman there constantly straightening up. The only annoying thing was she kept asking how I was. Once is nice, but every time I went to get something got annoying.. I was like, it's early, I just want my food! I took an extra bagel and 2 muffins back to the room to pack and bring with us for the long day ahead of us. (we brought ziplock bags for this purpose). They didn't have cheese out, which would have been nice to make a little egg and cheese sandwich.
So, all in all, was it a good value for the money - turned out to be no. I gave 3 starts for the decent breakfast, the clean hotel and the nice furniture. But everything else kinda sucked, for us at least. I don't think I will return again.

• Stayed November 2011, traveled with family

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (32)
Norwalk, Connecticut
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 21, 2011

Stayed there on 10/08/11, great location, clean, staff was very helpfull. The kids loved the pool and the breakfast was very good. We would recommend, there is a TGI Fridays within walking distance.

Parsippany, New Jersey
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 17, 2011

I have stayed at this hotel many times during the past year on business and pleasure. It is a newer hotel that is kept meticulous. The service is great from when you enter the hotel and get checked in until you leave after a great all included breakfast. The staff always tries their hardest to fulfill any need you have and the manager of the hotel, Mike Williamson, always goes out of his way to make sure your stay is the best, time after time. The hotel has a pool that my kids use each time we stay there. The suites are roomy, very clean and the work space is great! The free internet is great for my business work schedule along with my kids connecting via their IPAD or laptops. We will always look to stay at this hotel whenever we need to stay near Parsippany!

Williamsville, New York
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 14, 2011

We stayed one night on our way to New York City. Our room was a king bed suite. The room was quite large -- small sofa, chair, coffee table, large business desk, flat screen TV, very comfy king-size bed with tons of pillow choices. The room also had a large counter space that had a sink and refrigerator. Just off the bedroom was another large counter with a sink for toiletries, etc. The bathroom was a bit small, but served the purpose. Free WiFi.

The breakfast room is really large, but we had a hard time finding somewhere to sit. However, we got there late, so I'm sure we were there at the busiest time of the day. Breakfast was very good with lots of hot and cold choices. Robust coffee always satisfies.

We passed quite a few restaurants on our way in and also gas stations. This hotel was an easy drive off the I80 and also it was easy to get back on. I'd say it was about a 40 min. drive to NYC. I'd definitely stay here again if we were in the area. What a bargain!

• Stayed October 2011, traveled as a couple
Asheville, NC
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 4, 2011

This property is clean, well managed and the personnel I came in contact with were courteous and knowledgeable. I would definitely stay here again.

Room Tip: Stayed in a king bed suite, nice set up, roomy
  • Stayed September 2011, traveled with family
Herndon, Virginia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 3, 2011

Stayed last weekend with my family there. Wonderful hotel and great complimentary breakfast. The staff is extremely courteous and helpful. The manager on duty Lavonne and the lady on duty in Breakfast room were great. Enjoyed the stay and going to stay there again when visiting NJ/NY.

Budapest
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 30, 2011

We loved to stay here with my husband. Our room was big, clean and the bed was very comfortable. The breakfast area is a bit crowded with very limited seating possibilities (see my picture attached), so you must wait or eat without sitting down. Well, that is all I can say as a disadvantige, everything else was perfect!

BTW: as a European origin traveller Waffle maker was a real fun for us - we have never tried such a "machine" before :)

• Stayed July 2011, traveled as a couple

Been to Hampton Inn & Suites Parsippany/North? Share your experiences!