“Great deal - check it out...” 4 of 5 stars

Special Offer
Choice Privileges Points
Ranked #1 of 5 Hotels in Paramus
A TripAdvisor Member
“Great deal - check it out...”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed February 27, 2006

I recently stayed several nights at this hotel and was pleasantly surprised with the renovations here.

Good points: very clean, climate control, free reliable internet access, comfortable bed, great rate, nice sized new TV's, microwave and mini fridge, with close proximity to the strip on 17 and access to Route 4. Jacuzzi tub rooms were available, and this was a nice feature as well.

Great points: the front desk staff. Friendly, helpful, and remember their guests! Customer service here was better than many other larger, (and much more expensive) chain hotels I've stayed at over time in the area.

Not so good points: only one: the housekeeping supervisor. The housekeeping staff was wonderful, but this woman was more than rude after finding out I had been given a late check out on my day of departure.

All in all, a surprisingly nice and pleasant stay overall. I'd stay again here, absolutely.

• Stayed February 2006, traveled on business

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (41)
philadelphia
2 of 5 stars Reviewed January 10, 2006

I stayed at this hotel for several nights in January of 2006. The room, although not large, was modern, clean, and very nicely decorated.

This hotel definitely caters to smokers though, so if you don't smoke and have a problem with tobacco smoke, consider that... My room was on a non-smoking floor, and there was a brutally strong smell of cigar smoke coming from the bathroom ventilation duct the entire time I was there, and my fabric luggage now has the faint smell of it. The hallway smelled like cigar smoke at times too, although it wasn't quite as strong.

I was surprised to see that this hotel also includes ashtrays in the non-smoking rooms, unlike most other hotels. (Most hotels only include ashtrays in their smoking rooms, so as not to promote smoking in the smoke-free designated rooms that some people might require for health reasons, or because the odor of stale smoke bothers them.) As far as I'm concerned, routinely including ashtrays in non-smoking rooms essentially is like saying that the hotel management condones smoking in non-smoking rooms, even when a smoking guest originally might not have intended to smoke in the smoke-free room.

When I asked about it, I was told that the hotel owners often tell smokers to feel free to smoke in the non-smoking rooms if the smoking rooms are occupied, and that it was the hotel owners' decision to include ashtrays in the non-smoking sections for the convenience of smoking guests. As a healthcare professional, I don't find those decisions on the part of hotel management very admirable, nor do I think that they show consideration for those who may have a health problem that requires them to avoid smoke, or for those who may be bothered by the smell of stale smoke. The hotel should at least try to keep SOME rooms smoke free.

I had to downgrade the hotel's rating because of this unusual and unfortunate philosophy of the hotel's management, otherwise this would have been a pretty good hotel. I didn't have time to try the complimentary breakfast, so I can't comment on that. The free in-room high speed internet was a bonus, and worked well. The television was a nice 27" flat screen Philips, with plenty of cable stations to choose from. Local phone calls were free. The only other negative was that half the rooms are within 30 to 40 yards of a very busy highway, so if you get one of those rooms, you'll probably hear traffic and truck noise. If you're a light sleeper, bring a pair of cheap foam earplugs and you won't hear a thing.

I probably won't stay here again due to the smoking policy, but I'd have been pleased as punch if I smoked! (smile)

• Stayed January 2006, traveled on business
Comfortinnparamusgm, General Manager at Comfort Inn & Suites Paramus NJ, responded to this review, October 14, 2006
The Comfort Inn & Suites is a brand new property, and we would of course NOT want to ruin rooms that we spent over 4 million dollars putting together (allowing smoking in our non-smoking rooms). The reviewer who claims that we advocate smoking in non-smoking rooms is absurd!

The hotel does offer smoking and non-smoking rooms, however we have a $300 fine posted in ALL non-smoking rooms should a guests smoke in a non-smoking room. We take this very seriously!!!

Guests are also forced to sign a waiver at check-in acknowledging the $300 fine rule. Each day, our staff inspects all our rooms and writes up a report should we find smoking to have taken place in a non-smoking room.

It really seems like this review was written by a competitive hotel! I assure you that the hotel is predominately a NON-SMOKING facility.

5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 24, 2005

Booked this hotel from a friends advise in the area. Live in Florida come to visit the my mom and dad. Staff went to get me Chicken Soup when I had a cold and could not leave the room! Rooms have beautiful new furniture. I was very comfortable with all the channels I had to watch..so many HBO's and movie stations, made my cold go quicker.

• Stayed December 2005
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 7, 2005

Stayed at this hotel and LOVED IT! All the rooms are brand new. New wallpaper, new decor, new lobby, everything. Nicest Comfort Inn I have stayed. Staff was so friendly, they helped with my bags and very reasonably priced for the area. Better than Marriott and Holiday Inn's. Would come back!

• Stayed December 2005

Been to Comfort Inn & Suites Paramus NJ? Share your experiences!