“Quiet, Comfortable, Convenient” 4 of 5 stars

Ranked #1 of 5 Hotels in Paramus
Minneapolis
“Quiet, Comfortable, Convenient”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 24, 2011

The Comfort Inn Paramus, NJ, is a quiet and comfortable place to stay that is convenient to northern Manhattan. It is about 10 miles and 20 minutes across the George Washington Bridge. The rooms are large enough to be pleasant and, even though it is between two busy roads, it is quiet inside. The breakfast is complete typically with hot foods (eggs, sausage, waffles) and the usual selection of other items. The staff is consistently friendly and service is super. The only downside is also the location. It takes a little practice to become comfortable with the access to Rte 17, as traffic is often heavy. We have stayed there several times in the last couple of years and anticipate staying there again.

Room Tip: This is a two-story with no elevator, so first floor is easier if you have a lot of luggage.
  • Stayed October 2011, traveled with family

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (40)
Goochland, Virginia, United States
1 of 5 stars Reviewed October 12, 2011

We Booked a non smoking room and was notified 1 hour later that no non smoking rooms available. We did not want to be subjected to those odors and asked for a cancellation. They Refused to cancel reservation. They Forced us to stay in a disgustingly smelly smoking cave or pay for another room in another hotel. We couldn't really afford the extra expense so we stayed in their nasty smoking room. I am not sure they have any non smoking rooms in this flea bag motel. They feel losing a booking of a $100 is more valuable than a customer having a positive experience. Let them know what value customer satisfaction really is. Stay somewhere that values your Comfort. Comfort Inn is hardly living up to their name.

Room Tip: Stay somewhere else.
  • Stayed October 2011, traveled on business
rewldrgroup, Manager at Comfort Inn & Suites Paramus NJ, responded to this review, October 13, 2011
Dear Valued Guest,
Im sorry that you felt we do not honor our booking preferences. However, the reservation you made online with our hotel was for a SMOKING room with a request in the notes for a non-smoking room knowing we were sold out of that room type. It would not be fair to our other guests who made a reservation for non-smoking rooms to give their room away as you suggested to our front desk when they called you. I am sorry we could not honor your request but we cannot run our business in that manner. The reason we could not cancel your reservation was primarily because it was past our cancel policy of 4pm day of arrival, the hotel was sold out, and there was no mistake when you made your reservation as you were fully aware of the terms and conditions as they applied. I understand your frustration as you have shown in your review here, but the hotel is in no way at fault as we always honor our booking preferences. Had you made a reservation for a non-smoking room and we provided you a smoking room we would have made exceptions of course to satisfy our guests. Thank you.
rural hinterland
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 25, 2011

My relationship with this hotel started out wrong, but I am glad I didn't give up. When all NY accomodations below 300$ were fully booked for the night we needed a room, I was forced to look elsewhere, and eventually I found this hotel with its website.

On their website they had an interesting offer involving a 25$ giftcard for a nearby mall. There was not too much information and the ad said you needed to call a 1800 number to learn more about that deal. I did that several times over 10 days, and each time I got the front desk of this hotel, and they had no idea what I was talking about.

This ad must have been really really old, or so new that nobody knew about it yet. But when YOU are supposed to sell something and YOUR phone number is in an ad, would your boss not instruct you about the product you are supposed to sell to the callers?????

My third attempt turned out well: the guy at the front desk didn't know about that campaign either, but he was a pro: "I don't know about that 25$ giftcard, but I can give you a deal, Ma'm. That is what you REALLY want, right? I can give you 30$ off your room, how about that?"

Guess what, of course he was right! So I booked the suite with 2 rooms and a whirlpool in the living room. 159 $ rack rate came down to 129 (plus taxes and fees which you can never escape).

Great feature here: you can cancel it in case you have to without penalty fees, even on the arrival day until a certain hour. We have lost 240 $ recently to Sofitel when Hubby's employer was audited by Government just in time for our booked anniversary getaway to Philly. He had to cancel his vacation and be present in the office, and I had to cancel the hotel, and alas, the money was lost. So here I was very relieved that we could cancel if another incident would accur.

Nothing accured, so we went to the Disco Party in NY and checked into this convenient budget hotel. It is really right at the highway.

Unbelievable how they made the noise vanish! I could not believe how close the passing cars were when I looked outside the windows. (See picture) They were right there in front of us, but we could hardly hear anything!

Oh, now don't think that I am a city girl who doesn't hear street noise anymore! No, we are living in the rural hinterlands without any human neighbours! No streets, no traffic, no humans, so we know silence, and we hear every single car coming down the dirtway toward our house. So we are extra sensitive to noise, as we don't have noise at home. And here - really silent right at the highway. I am still stunned and have no idea how they did that.

Now to the room which is really a suite with 2 rooms, the whirlpool in the living room. That was my main interest. Whenever searching for hotels, I am always most interested in their bathrooms. 2-person-whirlpool is my most wanted item in any hotel, rainshower comes right next. I have paid 300 $ in the past just for that, and now I had that for $ 129. That is really cool!

Checking in was quick and easy, we came to the room and it was VERY COLD. The AC ran wild and it was 68F. I wanted to have a bath and a temperature more like 74F. But there was an error with that unit, it kept tripping and shutting itself off. Luckily the other unit in the bed room was working fine

We had called for assistance, and the front desk girl did come to help, and she showed us where to reset the unit, but it only lasted for a few minutes, before it shut itself off again. I really think there was a mistake. Since we stayed just for one night and it wasn't winter yet, I let it go. I left the information on their comment sheet though, so that somebody can look into that.

Everything was clean and neat, the whirlpool was inviting and almost sparkling, there was shampoo, soap and lotion provided. Also a hair dryer, iron and ironing board and enough towels in various sizes for us, also wash cloths.

There was no closet but a furniture in the bed room where you could hang your clothing in. I lack the english word for that. I am German, we have these furniture things in our houses, we don't have closets like Americans have. So this was normal to me. (Kleiderschrank)

There was a microwave (clean) and a fridge in the living room with small freezer department in it (both working). Beside the living room window was a desk with Internet access and coffee maker, where we could have put up our laptop, had we just had time for that.

The furniture was plastic covered, it looked like dark wood but it was really not wooden. But it was functional, and for that price it was perfectly alright. You can easily clean the surface, and I guess in this hotel category this is a huge factor.

The art at the wall was interesting and pleasing, but this might be a matter of personal taste. I am a hobby photographer myself, so I am taking interest in artful photography.

The sofa and chair in the living room were a bit tired and sagging down, and the colour was really ugly. But again, this is a personal taste issue, somebody else might like this colour range of all earthy tones without one outstanding brighter colour. I would not complain about that, as I got such a good deal.

The whirlpool worked fine, I tried it right away, as that was the main feature for me. I brought my own products and enjoyed a relaxing (whirlpool) massage before we went out for our party in NY.

We came back late at night and were greeted by somebody else than before at the front desk. There were no incidents to report, no loitering, no weird people, no disturbances of any kind. Everybody was behaving themselves.

We were very tired and fell asleep quickly. I am picky with beds, as I have injured shoulders and cannot sleep in beds too soft. No problems here, I had no pain and it was still not too hard either. The bed was just right. Well, the pillows were a bit soft, but there were enough of them, so I could arrange them until everything felt right for me.

I had never seen blackout drapes before. At home I am going by the daylight to determine what time it might be, and when it is dark, I think it is still night. We slept in, actually. Our own wake up watch came out useless, as Hubby had forgotten to check the batteries before leaving. So he programmed the hotel room's wake up clock, and I guess he did something wrong, because there was nothing ringing at 8.30am, when we planned to get up. I was in deep sleep when he bumped me and said "it is 9.37". I looked and it was dark - so how could that be, 9.37? Haha, it took me a while to remember these drapes, and now I know they do really work.

Their complimentary breakfast was served between 7 and 10 am, and we wanted to take advantage of that by being there early, so we planned to get up at 8.30am. And now we were 23 min before the end of breakfast, so how would we manage this?

Wow, we threw something over and rushed down the hallway, and we were lucky they have such an outstanding service. I was standing clueless in front of their "make your own waffle" machine, and a nice young woman showed me how to do that. Well, I am not used to any of these self help buffet features, and she showed me more things. She never let me feel that I was an idiot not to know these things, she was just really kind and nice and helpful. She does the perfect job there, assisting guests when needed and otherwise let them serve themselves.

We had 3 pancakes then, yogurt, toast with cream cheese and jam. Hubby had coffee while I went with 2 portions of orange juice. Oh, and we had raisin bran as well. There were many more choices, like granola, corn flakes, other rolls and breads.

Oh, I almost forgot (because I am a Vegetarian AND a German): there was also a hot keeper with scrambled eggs and sausages. Hubby took some of that, as these trips are his only chance to get this kind of food. To Germans like me it is unthinkable to have warm (cooked) things for breakfast, we just don't have that. That is also the reason I almost forgot to mention this now. It doesn't say "breakfast" to me when I see eggs and sausage. But I understand that many Americans think that way, and for them it is perfectly alright.

The breakfast was really plentiful, and we were getting full quickly. The last waffle pieces we even had to take on the road with us, as we could not have finished them all.

Meanwhile it was after 10, and the server was cleaning up slowly. But we were never rushed by her, and we were left alone at the table. So we could finish our breakfast in peace and not rush out.

Afterwards I used their business center and printer.

Checking out at 12 was easy and quick. There was a line, but we were just asked to give the key cards back (while these other people were handled), front desk girl smiled and thanked us and we were checked out. No hassles, no wait.

We will come back in about 4 weeks when we will attend a concert in the wider area. The deal is still ongoing through October, I can still get the same price for this suite, and we decided that we would do that again.

It is amazing what these budget hotels deliver. We had been in Luxury hotels before and have tipped servants who probably had a higher income then ourselves. I don't need anybody to carry our luggage or valet the car. But usually you needed to go for that hotel class if you wanted a nice bath room with features.

Now I guess I found a perfect middle way. When in the Westchester or Manhattan area, we will certainly get such a suite again.

Their bath room was just the regular american fare with tub shower combination, one sink and a toilet right next to it. No shaving (or make up-) mirror there, and no fan either. But the whirlpool made up for the small bath room.

I have forgotten to mention their free internet access. We had brought along our laptop., but in the end we didn't have the time to use it. We came back from the party later than expected, and the next morning we slept in, so no laptop use. But we could have, and it would have been free.

We also had 2 big TV sets, both flat screens, but we haven't used either one, for the same reasons as we didn't use the laptop. Not enough time. We might try them next time, though.

Room Tip: take a 2-room-suite with whirlpool
USA
3 of 5 stars Reviewed September 18, 2011

I know it's not fair to knock a hotel for its guests, but the stay was really spoiled for us mainly because this particular night there seemed to be a rowdy, loud group of people with kids running up and down the halls. Not-so-savory people were smoking and loitering directly outside the front door as we drove up and walked in. The face on the front desk clerk said it all - instead of greeting us he spent more time worrying about whether all the constant commotion in the lobby around him and outside was going to to turn into trouble at any moment.

The property itself is right off Rt 17, which is a heck of a busy location to drop a hotel - very easy to miss and thanks to NJ jug handles, make sure you keep your eyes peeled or backtracking is not made easy thanks to Jersey barriers.

Newly renovated, comfortable rooms were clean and very attractive but somewhat dark.

We will most likely give this hotel another shot in the future and hope that our stay was an anomaly given all the stellar reviews here on TA.

• Stayed May 2011, traveled as a couple
rewldrgroup, General Manager at Comfort Inn & Suites Paramus NJ, responded to this review, September 20, 2011
Dear Valued Guest:

Thank you for writing a review on your stay on Trip Advisor.com. I apologize your stay was interrupted by the noise of other guests at the property. We take issues such as noise VERY seriously (any issue that interrupts the comfort of our guests), and our front desk should have acted and not been so passive in this situation, and I take responsibility for it, plain and simple. I have spoken with my staff and can assure you that an issue such as this will not happen again.

On a positive note, I am very pleased that the accommodations were to your expectations. We try extraordinarily hard to make sure the rooms are clean and comfortable and that we offer an exceptional value, which is what makes us a Choice Hotels GOLD award winner.

We look forward to you staying with us in the future!
Cape Cod
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 13, 2011

My wife and I stayed at this hotel for one night while traveling to another destination.

While we chose it primarily based on its location and convenience to the Garden State Parkway, we were pleasantly surprised by the experience.

On the plus side:
Newly refurbished tub/ shower was sparkling. Room was clean and odor-free
The king size bed was extremely comfortable (my wife wanted to steal the multiple pillows)
Quiet
Quick and efficient check in despite the late hour (11pm)
Small refrigerator and microwave in room
Nice breakfast (good selection, well serviced)
PCs in the lobby area
Easy off and on the Garden State (Southbound anyway)

Some slight negatives:
The room was decorated in dark colors which present a drab and somewhat old appearance
The breakfast area could have used a few more tables as each was taken
The new shower head looked great but never really delivered on appearances – a water saver perhaps

Overall a very strong choice

Toronto ON
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 8, 2011

We stayed at this hotel over Labor day weekend visiting Manhattan. I had stayed in Manhattan previously but we decided to try this as an option as it is much cheaper and we were driving this time plus Manhattan is only a 20 minute drive from Paramus.

We had booked two rooms as we visitied with family and arrived two hours before check-in. First when I asked the receptionist if it possible to check in early she said absolutely not but when she looked at my reservation, she was quick to announce that both rooms are ready and checked us in early.

We did not spend much time in the hotel as the area does not have much to do other than shopping. However the Red Lobster was OK for a quick meal and the breakfast was adequate. The rooms were spacious and clean however did have a bit of a smell. We brought incense so that did not bother us.

It is not conveniently located as it is right on the highway and to get to the other side of the road is a very big undertaking! Staff was helpful with directions and information of the area.

• Stayed September 2011, traveled with family
Bronx, New York
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 4, 2011

This hotel is an excellent place to go for a one night getaway. It's clean, quite, and the beds are so comfortable to sleep in. The best part about the stay is that red lobster is on the premisses.

• Stayed September 2011, traveled as a couple

Been to Comfort Inn & Suites Paramus NJ? Share your experiences!