“Consistently good Japanese food” 4 of 5 stars

Cuisines: Japanese
Dining options: Lunch, Reservations
Dining options: Lunch, Reservations
New Jersey
“Consistently good Japanese food”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 7, 2013

We have been a regular for years. Great for families and kids. Japanese food is great to boot. Always get the shrimp and scallops. My wife loves the filet Mignon.

• Visited March 2013
    • 4 of 5 stars Atmosphere

Montvale, New Jersey
“poor service”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed February 25, 2013

food ok service poor waitress terrible.. We ordered rice with the meal
we told the waitress we didn't get it. she said she would take care of it. We finished eating without the rice. Waitress returned for desert order and we said we never received the rice. She said oh ok so shoot me besides rice free so no refund
We are done so sorry

• Visited February 2013
    • 3 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 2 of 5 stars Food
Fairview, New Jersey
“It is fun for the kids but....”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed January 22, 2013

I frequent the Kiku of Paramus about 4x a year. My son asks for it, and it is great to get together with other families and make a night of it.

PROS: entertaining, yummy mai tais, fun atmosphere, everyone else has kids so nobody looks at you funny if your child cries etc. Tuna tartar is excellent, you get a lot of food for the money . The food is pretty good , similar to Benihanna, but there are some sacrifices.........

CONS: No matter what you do you cannot get a steak cooked medium rare to rare they always overcook it. Not good for seed or shellfish allergies because if you sit with another family and they order something you are allergic to, you may have cross contamination. One time I told them I cannot have scallops and the cook was flipping my steak with the scallop utensil I had to get a manager. Children's meals are pricey, they give them too much food basically and a kid's meal at 16-20 bucks is not really needed. Plus they serve your child noodles and rice and soup before the entree so by the time they get to the meat they do not want to eat. There are hidden costs too, for example they ask white or fried rice, but fried is extra.

The biggest CON to me is the rude management. They hover over you to get out and for an average of 40-60 per person , why should you be rushed ? I do not like my appetizer coming out and they are already cooking your steak.

It is very popular and I will keep going back because my son really enjoys it , just be warned of the downfalls. If you are a couple , make sure you have a group so you don't have to deal with a bunch of families like us !

• Visited January 2013
    • 5 of 5 stars Atmosphere
Northern NJ
“"You know how to take the reservation, you just don't know how to HOLD the reservation"”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed January 20, 2013

Our visit did not start well when we arrived 15 minutes early for a reservation and were not seated until almost 15 minutes after our reserved time. Then, once at the table, it took another 20 minutes before someone took our order. Very disappointed with service and northern NJ provides so many better choices in Hibatchi. The highpoint was the quality of the food and we found our seafood to be fresh and the filet to be fork-tender. The chef cooked things well but it's pretty pricey!

• Visited January 2013
    • 3 of 5 stars Atmosphere
Hillsdale, New Jersey
“Fly to Japan first!”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed December 30, 2012 via mobile

The food was good, seated right away, service slow. We waited 40 min for cook and by then he wasn't funny. We had good food taste was good. But a dragged out evening that was not great. Trouble even getting water refills.