“Great local pizza and Italian” 5 of 5 stars

Cuisines: Italian, Pizza, Pizza & Pasta
Dining options: Late Night
Dining options: Late Night
NJ
“Great local pizza and Italian”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 8, 2013

A local favorite. Huge portions for the price. Pizza is great. Also had the eggplant parmigiana which was excellent and brought half home. Great beer selection.
Gets crowded at dinner time on weekends so expect a short wait. Just go to the back and get on the line
Worth the trip. You'll go back

• Visited April 2013
    • 3 of 5 stars Atmosphere

Verona, NJ
“THE VERY BEST”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 22, 2013

I've been going to Star Tavern for more years than I care to admit. Without a doubt they make the best pizza in earth.

• Visited April 2013
    • 5 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 5 of 5 stars Food
“Tasty pizza and food”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed February 27, 2013

I have been there with friends after work, but go there often with my family. The pizza slices, are thin, cheesy and probably a little oily for some. The plain slices are actually the best, you get the authentic flavor of the pizza. They have good salads and antipasto. The wait time is usually kind of long on weekends, so bring your patience with you!

• Visited February 2013
    • 3 of 5 stars Atmosphere
Scranton, Pennsylvania
“It's a classic - friendly and reasonable”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed February 1, 2013

I consider myself a 'pizza guy'. From the Philly area and travel extensively. I always, I repeat always, do a couple of pizza nights in every town. I ask around, I research, I find the local spots. Star is 'the' local spot. Ok - here's the deal - the place is a tavern with booths, tables and about 20 bar stools. Take your pick, get there before 6pm. I got a regular half pepperoni. The sauce is sweet and delicious. The pepperoni is perfect - a little curled and crispy. The crust -- well -- it's nothing. Like it's not even there - limp and soggy. no taste or substance until you get way up near the crust. But - it's good. For me, I wish the crust had a little more substance. I did notice that as it got a little less hot it seemed to firm up just a little. I'm thinking that maybe if you let it go 20 mins before you dive in it might hold up a little better. But who has that kind of willpower!I like the place, I'm going back. It's not cheap, the draft beer was $3.75 - too much for Orange, NJ.

• Visited February 2013
    • 4 of 5 stars Atmosphere
“Great thin crust pizza”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 21, 2013

First, let me say that I've heard about Star Tavern for years before I finally ate there. And yes, the thin crust pizza that they are famous for is certainly delicious. I found the service and atmosphere a bit lacking. At arrival we stood at the door a moment, not sure about what to do since there wasn't really any space to wait and no sign of any sort. When we asked a waitress, she seemed amazed that we didn't know to just seat ourselves and wait for someone to take our order. The other reason for four-star rating is that my son ordered mozzarella sticks that were quite lackluster and the other son ordered a side of fries that was never delivered (it wasn't on our bill though), Maybe I came on an off-day, but I felt a bit like an unwelcome visitor and that only the "regulars" got the best service. The pizza was great though, so I'd give them another try if I was in the area again.

• Visited July 2012