Lovely Beach House in Ocean Grove, New Jersey

Reviews from our community

Reviews from our community

Alice P
Falls Church, Virginia
“Wish I could get my money back”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed August 16, 2014 for a stay in August 2014

This is a copy of a letter I sent on Tuesday, August 19th, to which I still have not received any response except that the family is looking into it. The letter was sent to N. Lael Telfeyan and then to Edward Telfeyan and Phil Telfeyan.

I would like to weigh in with my thoughts on the Atlantic Ave home. I am writing from Virginia. We drove back last night after sleeping on the floor of my relatives’ condo in NJ. Since we hadn’t heard back from you there was not the option of extending our stay by staying in a hotel or finding another rental due to finances. I spent most of the ride back fighting tears as it was so disheartening to lose the family time and vacation I had looked forward to for months. I return to my job at the university on Tuesday August 19th, so my summer is over.
I don’t believe you had any bad intentions when we entered into the rental agreement with you. But the impact of the neglect of the house was serious and caused a lot of heartache and loss. We have rented houses before and never experienced anything like this before whether in NJ, MD or VA. People have different expectations with cleaning, especially at a beach house, and any one of the inconveniences would not have been a deal breaker, but the combined effect was.
The keys were right where you said they would be. But it took about 20 minutes to get the door open, thanks to the persevering nature of one of our family members. We were nervous about locking the door again, wondering if we could easily get back in. This was just the beginning of our difficulties. This is not ok for a summer rental. A lock is a basic item. Also, although the large upstairs bedroom was fine in terms of storage space and the balcony was nice, we could not completely close the bedroom door due to it binding on the carpet. Not great for privacy for a married couple.
When you rent a vacation home, it is assumed that you will have place to put your personal items and effects. Some of the upstairs bedrooms had virtually all of the drawers stuffed with your things. Some of the storage spaces looked like someone had just cleared all the horizontal surfaces and thrown it in. We all do that from time to time when expecting company, but to offer this as a summer rental is not acceptable. Even the refrigerator had minimal space available as half of it was filled and most of the freezer was filled. There was no room in the pantry for the food we had brought.
The home was dirty. The vacuum cleaner did not work well, so we were not even able to try to clean it ourselves. The bathrooms and kitchen areas were generally clean, so we believe you when you said you had a cleaning service come in. We ignored the little ants in the kitchen as that is a common summertime problem. The problem was the floor areas in the other areas of the house; the amount of dust, cobwebs, and hair seemed to indicate that cleaning had been neglected. This was gross to deal with since in some of the bedrooms suitcases had to be left open on the floor. The linen closet where the fresh linens were stored also seemed to be full of hair. One of our daughters killed several spiders and found a bug in her bed and was not able to sleep our first night there. Our second daughter was able to fall asleep but woke up with spider bites covering her legs.
The second daughter, also grossed out by the house, decided to leave and vacation in PA with a friend’s family since our relatives’ condo couldn’t accommodate all of us. So our week together lasted one day. My husband’s sister, who is an attorney, had been planning on joining us starting Tuesday, but obviously that didn’t happen. Last summer we had wonderful memories from our time together in Ocean Grove. We had rented a larger home this time to accommodate my mother-in-law and sister-in-law. Fortunately they had not planned to join us until later in our stay.
The animal(s) running around at night in the ceiling was the last straw. Had the rest of the house been suitably prepared for a summer rental, we would have just called you and asked you to send someone out to take care of it. At that point neither of our daughters was willing to stay any longer and we were just all overwhelmed by all of the multiple issues with the home.

I would like to request a full refund. You might want to consider getting in an outside set of eyes to help you figure out what can be done to make your family home suitable for a summer rental if you decide to continue trying to rent it out. I would like to hear from one of you, today, Tuesday, August 12th. I would like to avoid contacting FlipKey and letting them know that you asked us to rent outside of their process and our experience this past week.

( I still have copies of the email messages with the FlipKey logo and message links. Please contact me at alice.petillo@gmail.com if you would like me to forward them to you. Since we found the rental through FlipKey and we don't have our money back, you should at least collect your part from them. )

Alice Petillo

3 of 5 stars How easy was it to book the property? 5 of 5 stars How helpful were the directions to the property?
2 of 5 stars How easy was key pickup/access to the property? 2 of 5 stars Overall condition of the property
2 of 5 stars Bedding & mattresses 3 of 5 stars Kitchen & utensils
4 of 5 stars Bathroom cleanliness 2 of 5 stars Other facilities & amenities
1 of 5 stars Service
Liked best: location
Liked least: condition of home
Traveling group: Extended Family
Would you recommend this hotel to a friend?   No.
  • Would you recommend the location of this property?
  • Did the property offer wi-fi/internet access?
Management Response
Oct 4, 2014
My family stands behind our lovely beach cottage in Ocean Grove. We have made every effort to ensure that our guests have a positive and enjoyable experience, both in our home and also in Ocean Grove and next door Asbury Park. How one would not enjoy our charming Victorian house built in 1888, with four upstairs bedrooms, two outdoor porches with an ocean view upstairs, a spacious kitchen with back deck and outdoor gas grill and a driveway, garden and backyard for pets with a park down the street and ocean a block and a half away is a question.
We have updated and upgraded our house and will continue to do so. We have wonderful cleaners as well.
However, if these guests wanted the Ritz Carlton then they did not view my posted photos of our home, its bedrooms, baths, kitchen and living areas.
Hopefully, our future guests will enjoy our home rental in good faith!
Dr. Telfeyan
Interested in this property?
Make Inquiry
Patrick D
Middletown, New Jersey
“Excellent Beach House for the Summer”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 29, 2014 for a stay in July 2014
person found this review helpful

I recently stayed at this beach house with friends in July 2014, and we were thrilled with the experience. The location of the house is perfect: a short walk to the beaches, shops, and restaurants of both Ocean Grove and Asbury Park. The house is bigger than we had expected. The downstairs area features a large kitchen, a bathroom with shower, a small bedroom, and two living room areas. The upstairs area includes two large bedrooms, a medium bedroom, a small bedroom, and a bathroom with shower. There is a small deck outside of the downstairs kitchen, and two large balconies (one on each floor) with chairs and tables (you can see the ocean and a nice view of the street). There is also a driveway and a backyard area.

The house was pleasant and comfortable with good lighting, A/C, and other amenities. There were TVs and WiFi as well. Overall, we had a great time and everyone loved the house. We would all highly recommend this rental to others due to the location, size, and positive experience with the booking!

5 of 5 stars Bedding & mattresses 5 of 5 stars Kitchen & utensils
5 of 5 stars Bathroom cleanliness 5 of 5 stars Other facilities & amenities
5 of 5 stars Service
Liked best: The location, size, A/C, wifi, and cleanliness.
Traveling group: Friends
Would you recommend this hotel to a friend?   Yes.
Recommended for:
Friends getaway Older travelers
Families with young children Large groups
  • Was the property as advertised?
  • Would you recommend the location of this property?
  • Was it a good value for the price paid?
  • Did the property offer wi-fi/internet access?
  • Was your security deposit returned on time?
Interested in this property?
Make Inquiry
$325
Night
Week
Month
Additional fees may be applied by owner
Request to Book
Or, send the owner a message
Send Message
this property has payment protection
Owner
Lael
Speaks English
Listed since : Jan 2014
Response Rate: 100 %
Calendar Updated: 126 days ago
Peace of Mind Protection
Learn more
Do you own a vacation rental? List it here.
Listing is Free!
Protect your privacy
Get more exposure
Set up your free listing