“Beautiful but disappointing” 3 of 5 stars
Review of The Flanders Hotel

We can't find prices for this hotel
The Flanders Hotel
You added The Flanders Hotel to your Saves list
719 E 11th Street, Ocean City, NJ 08226   |
Ranked #5 of 32 Hotels in Ocean City
Pennsylvania
“Beautiful but disappointing”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed October 1, 2013

My husband, 1.5 year old and myself stayed at one of the promenade suites. We were in room 211 I believe. It was a beautiful room. It had a large kitchen, large bathroom (no bathtub) with a small bedroom.

However, there were quite a few issues that were not visible when you look at their website. First of all, the promenade rooms are behind the boardwalk rides. Meaning when you look out of the window thats all you see. The noise was horrendous. We couldn't even hear the tv when it was on unless it was blaring. The rides before labor day were going until midnight. After labor day they would end at between 10-11pm. It was definitely not the relaxing vacation we had imagined. My son enjoyed watching the rides until it was time for bed. Although some of the other reviews mentioned it would be noisy, I never imagined HOW noisy until we were there. I would NOT recommend staying in the promenade suites if you have small children that go to bed early.

In addition, to reach the promenade rooms you had to take the elevator (a very small elevator) to the 2nd floor, and then climb about 10 steps to get to the suites. This was fine when the lift next to the stairs worked but the day we left it would out so we had to lug all of our suitcases down the steps. In addition, every time we took our son out my husband carried my son in the stroller down the steps. If it was just my husband and I, the steps would not be an issue but when you have a child its a different story.

Furthermore, the promenade suites are located on the same floor as the ballrooms which is where all the weddings occur. We had about 3 weddings that took place while we were there.

Overall I would only recommend this for couples, or for families with children that are much older, or those that can sleep through noise without any problems. If you plan on having the pack and play in your room it will be a tight squeeze. We had to put the pack and play in front of the closet door in the bedroom because there was no other place to put it.

Don't get me wrong, the hotel has its charm. Its beautiful and is right on the boardwalk, but for the money we spent I imagined there to be more.

Take a look at the pictures I posted with this hotel.

• Stayed September 2013, traveled with family
5 Thank mipesq

Reston, Virginia
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 22, 2013

We have stayed here for the last 5 years. The place is always the same which is to say it is perfectly located, beautiful and lively.

There is always a wedding going on which add to it's lively nature.

The rooms are privately owned suites that are decorated by the owner but maintained by the hotel. The rooms we have stayed in were all meticulously maintained. There is a full kitchen and dining area and living room. Lots of space.

It is located steps from the boardwalk and the ocean and sine it is only a few blocks from some non-boardwalk restaurants, you can get good food for breakfast lunch or dinner within walking distance. It's also a few blocks from the Causeway so Sommers Point is minutes away

Did I mention it is right on the boardwalk? The location can't be beat.

We will be back.

Room Tip: The ocean view rooms on the upper floors are worth the money.
  • Stayed September 2013, traveled with family
1 Thank Italian_in_VA
Cherry Hill, New Jersey
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 18, 2013

This was our second stay at The Flanders Hotel. Last year we got married on the beach and had our reception at The Flanders Hotel...it was perfect! This year we decided to spend our first anniversary at The Flanders. We enjoyed it so much. The whole weekend was so relaxing. On Friday night we could not arrive until after 9PM due to our work schedule and they held our room for us (most hotels give away rooms by 7 or 8PM). We stayed in a one bedroom suite on the 7th floor. It was very nice and more space than we needed. The room was very clean. Even had a slight view of the ocean which was a little bonus. Free parking is also a bonus!
The kitchen was perfect for light meals and snack...dishwasher was a huge bonus and the hotel provided the dishwasher soap (something I didn't think to pack)
Loved the trip! Can't wait to go back next year!

• Stayed September 2013, traveled as a couple
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 16, 2013 via mobile

Stayed at this hotel because of a family wedding being held here. We were able to check in at 1:00 without any problem. We reserved a 1 bedroom suite for myself, my husband and our teenage son. Room was very large, kitchenette was useful. Extremely clean room. Really have no complaints about the stay.

• Stayed September 2013
Ridgewood, New Jersey
2 of 5 stars Reviewed September 2, 2013

We stayed in room 412 (2 bedrooms 1 Bath + kitchenette) and paid $458 per night for 5 nights. That's well over $2,000 for the stay, but what we experienced was more like an airport road motel that you stay in when you have no choice. Extremely disappointing.

We checked in and walked into the following room conditions:
- Previous guest's wet towels still hanging in the bathroom.
- Hallway light not working
- Kitchen sink drain stopped up - not draining
- Bathroom shower paint chipped and peeling off - looked very run down.
- Master bedroom AC duct cover hanging loose from one screw. The other screw was on the floor surrounded by sheet rock dust from the broken AC vent cover.
- No remote controls to operate any of the three TVs in the suite.
- Kitchen toaster was old school type, but only one half of it worked and it had no bottom so the crumbs from whatever you were toasting just fell right out onto the counter.

When I spoke to the front desk manager, Dorothy, she was very polite and offered us complementary amusement park tickets. She also mentioned that the summer housekeeping staff was all students so they weren't as good. Jeez. Not knowing any better I accepted the tickets, thanked her and called it a day.

Now, I mentioned the price we paid at the top of this review because my wife had made these reservations and, at the time, I was unaware of how much this dump was costing us. I should have asked. When I checked out and saw the final bill I mentioned everything in the list above and asked if there was anything they could do to compensate for the horrible room we lived in for almost a week. this is what I was told by Courtney at the front desk, "It looks here like you already spoke to my manager (Dorothy) about this so there's nothing I can do for you." What? So I asked when Dorothy wold be back and she told me "Wednesday." Today was Monday.

Now that I am re-reading the bad reviews I see a lot of the same complaints that we had. And I see that the odds of Dorothy making good on the rip-off we just endured are probably slim to none.

Even the worst places have some good qualities, so in the interest of honesty I will list what we considered good about the Flanders Hotel:
- Location was good, right on the boardwalk and a few blocks (walking distance) to downtown where the restaurants ans shops are.
- Front desk was generally polite and good natured.
- The pool is the largest in the area and is nicely heated. Very comfortable to swim in.
- The engineer who came up to fix the drain, the broken light, the broken AC duct cover, the missing remote controls, etc, was a very nice guy.

There is one thing to beware of: the hotel is ON TOP OF the Castaway Cove Amusement Park. LIterally. The old pool hotel is the location of the amusement park. That's how close it is. Our room (#412) was in the corner line facing the amusement park. This makes the room EXTREMELY LOUD until the park closes late at night.

So if you choose to ignore all the warnings and stay here anyway, stay in a room away from the amusement park.

Room Tip: Stay away from the rooms facing the amusement park if you want to sleep at night. Honestly, I would...
5 Thank rengel00
3 of 5 stars Reviewed September 1, 2013

I have stayed @ the Flanders 4 times. The rooms are big and CLEAN! The 3:00 check in in stinks and they won't budge on time. I know it's an old historic property but the lobby smells musty and old! Air freshener goes a long way. The Wed. night all u can eat seafood buffet for $34.95 was sub par. The only good item was the crab legs. Don't waste your money.

Room Tip: Stay away from the amusement pier side! You will hear the log flume all night.
1 Thank Kc2636
Phila
3 of 5 stars Reviewed August 30, 2013

This is our second stay here. A week last summer and again this summer.
Pro: Located off the boardwalk. Don't have to cross any streets.
Con:Hotel abuts a late night amusement park.
Pro: nice antiquated hotel.
Con: only 2 elevators.
Pro: heated outdoor pool.
Con: can run out of towels.
Super Pro: extended a night but had to switch rooms. Housekeeping turned over new room to us by 11 am. Much earlier than expected.
Con: smoke alarm and/or c/o detector started chirping late night. This woke up wife and kids. Took hotel staff 90 minutes and three trips to finally solve issue by removing units from room. Fortunately there was no fire or excess c/o that night. I did ask for an "accommodation" for our troubles. I was given some tickets to the amusement park. I was hoping for a $100 credit or a comp night. We were here for 7. Wouldn't even pick up parking for a few extra hours on checkout day.
Pro: there are bell boys.
Con: they are not permitted to stand outside front door. Didn't know they were there until I unloaded car and schlepped bags inside. Also-they use the passenger elevators instead of the freight elevator. Their cart fills the elevator.
Pro: coffee shop inside hotel.

Bottom line: if visiting ocean city, would stay here again.
Rooms are nice and the kitchenette is useful. Would be nice if there was something to hang wet suits on.

Also consider these accommodations in or near Ocean City
Ocean 7
Ocean 7
#4 of 32 in Ocean City
4.0 of 5 stars 260 reviews

Been to The Flanders Hotel? Share your experiences!