“Location, Location, Location” 4 of 5 stars

719 E 11th Street, Ocean City, NJ 08226   |
Ranked #5 of 34 Hotels in Ocean City
“Location, Location, Location”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 3, 2012

As the title indicates, the biggest selling point is its location on the Boardwalk right in the middle of all of the "action" (sorry, Ocean City is a "dry" town).
Pros: parking is included in the room cost, as is a number of beach tags (this practice may be unique to NJ - you have to pay for access to the beach in most locations). You are steps from the shops, rides and restaurants and of course the beach itself. The rooms are reasonably sized and the "ocean-front Kings" have a separate bedroom with king bed, TV, large closets. Rooms have a small kitchenette with a table that seats 6 (or more if you are friendly), with a queen sleeper sofa and chair that folds out into a kid-sized bed. On-premises coffee shop and restaurant. Outdoor pool.
Cons: Rooms are not cheap during the season. Lots of competition for the elevators especially on weekends when guests are checking in and out. The hotel is also a popular venue for weddings, reunions and similar parties, so can get a little noisy on Friday and Saturday nights. The seating area for the pool can fill up quickly - many guests "claim" a chairlounge with a towel and then depart for a few hours.
Bottom line - if you place a premium on convenience, this is the place to stay in OC. If you don't mind walking a few blocks (laden with beach gear, or with a cranky child after a long day at the beach or night on the rides), you can get a lot more for your money.

Room Tip: Ocean Front kings are the largest (and the priciest of the regular rooms) but the view itself is not...
  • Stayed August 2012, traveled with family

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (63)
Galloway, New Jersey
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 24, 2012

Just last week I attended a business function at The Flanders, an elegant older hotel on the Ocean City boardwalk. The food was extremely good, the conference room was comfortable, and the staff was efficient & pleasant. It would be a wonderful place for a wedding, with a large parking lot and lots of rooms for guests to stay. Ocean City is a dry town but alcohol is allowed for private parties.

Room Tip: Ask for an ocean view if possible.
  • Stayed September 2012, traveled on business
Saint Augustine, Florida
3 of 5 stars Reviewed September 21, 2012

My son and his wife rented a 3 bedroom Lanai Suite at the Flanders in August. They were there for a week, we went for 5 days. The suite was 3 bedrooms, 2 baths. The layout was odd because for 2 of the bedrooms, you had to walk down a few steps so beware what you rent if you have kids who may fall down the steps or elderly who have problems with steps. The place appeared to be well outfitted and clean. Beds were comfortable. The sliding patio door led to a huge outside area all fenced in with tables and chairs and chaises so you could sit outside - but you couldn't really spend time out there because the noise from the amusement park on the other side of the fence was astounding. And it went on until 11 or 12 midnight. The lights shown in through the drapes which you had to pull to help with the noise and light abatement. The kitchen was really tiny with very little storage. For the price they paid, I'd say it was pretty much a ripoff. Yes, I know folks go for the boardwalk, the beach, etc. but this was even a bit much for them, I think. Son complained that they should have gone elsewhere but DIL wanted to be near the beach (which we only went to once in the 5 days I was there). The hotel pool was part of the deal and it was great. We took everyone (10 people) for dinner at Emilys Ocean Restaurant for their Prime Rib night on Tuesday and it was great! The Prime Rib was huge and cooked perfectly and the Marscapone Cheesecake was heavenly. I think I'd like the hotel much more than the Lanai Suites but I did like the fact that they were on the ground floor and easy in and out. Parking was horrendously priced - $15 per day at the lot across the street. Probably won't be back to Ocean City anytime soon. We live in Florida and our beaches are much nicer and for the price, I think you could go to Florida and have money left over! I'm including the use of the hotel pool and the restaurant experience in my rating (restaurant will be reviewed separately). If you are thinking of going to Ocean City, look around - surely you can find something less expensive with less noise - maybe a block or two away - better than this noisy place.

Room Tip: The Lanai Suites are very, very noisy.
Southampton, Pennsylvania
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 27, 2012

My family and I recently stayed in the Penthouse of the Flanders hotel and I can't begin to scratch the service at how amazingly, wonderful it was for our entire family! From the ease of parking, to service with your luggage, to the accomodations of having our room cleaned when it was convenient for US, to the views, etc. etc. etc. Every staff member we encountered was extremely courteous and always had smiles on their faces. Our beds were comfortable and the rooms were spacious. My children had lots of room to play and enjoy themselves too! The location is SOOOO conveniently located right on the beach and boardwalk-we never had to move our car! All around a wonderful time-thumbs up to the Flanders Hotel!

Room Tip: Penthouse...ALL THE WAY!!!! It's huge, comfortable, the decor is out of this world! Couldn't...
Mansfield, Pennsylvania
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 6, 2012

My husband and I stayed here with my Aunt and Uncle for the weekend. We stayed in a small suite, with a bedroom and a pull out sofa. The pull out sofa was more comfortable than I was expecting, or maybe it also had to do with the fact that we were so exhausted each night and had no trouble falling asleep! The rooms are decorated beautifully, with a small kitchen, nice sized bathroom, living room and even a dining room area. Nicer than my own apartment! It was nice and different to be able to sit around the "living room" at night and watch TV before bed, instead of usually sitting on beds. The hotel has a side entrance that leads right to the board walk. You are just steps away from the beach!

Lehigh Valley, Pennsylvania
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 1, 2012

We would stay no where else. This is our third year. It always meets expectations, which are high. Very efficient check in. The room is extremely clean and up to date. The suite arrangement is perfect. We could not locate a hair blower, but I'm sure that I could have gotten one, if needed. Maintenance was AMAZING. We couldn't open our safe and they were there immediately. The gentleman was pleasant and wouldn't accept a gratuity. Wow!

The only draw back is the restaurant. We had breakfast there, which was fine; however, for the second year in a row we tried to have dinner. In order to avoid the terrible problem with service we experienced last year, we decided to make a reservation. When making it, we discussed with the person at the restaurant "prime rib night". I confirmed that there would be an entree I could eat, as I don't eat meat. When we arrived, I was told that that the item promised, actually, was not available on "prime rib nights". We couldn't switch restaurants due to our plans. The salad was pretty sad. I was told the prime rib was pretty ordinary, as was the dessert. The price wasn't so bad. The portion was huge.

All in all, I wouldn't trade the hotel. For convenience, location (on the beach and boardwalk) parking included, the suite arrangement, the price - it can't really be beat. (and there's always the coffee shop in the lobby).

Mantua, New Jersey, United States
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 21, 2012

Stayed in the Ocean Front Penthouse which includes EVERYTHING. WOW and GRAND to the interior design. Tray ceiling, crown molding found in Cape May houses, chandeliers ect. The furniture was SO comfy! Two comfortable bedrooms. The beds are VERY comfortable and linens felt terrific. 3 superclean bathrooms of marble and gold fixtures. Upscale kitchen and accessories. Was during a heat wave so the Patio and balcony were visited by not used as planned. This is location, location, location. The downstairs bedroom let in some of the carnival ride noise, but didn't interfere with sleep. There are 2 floors to this Penthouse. Didn't know the door key made the elevator go to the 2nd floor till 2nd day. I know it's pricey, but if you have to get two suits on the ocean front or boardwalk, kick in $200 more, you can have the grandest place you'll find!!! Splurge and stay here, you'll talk about it for years. The staff is terrific. Coffee is only okay at coffee shop. Restaurant is very good, went there for dinner and room serviced breakfast, both fantastic. There Pool water melts beach tags we found out. Parking free next door. They have a spa too.

• Stayed July 2012, traveled with family

Been to The Flanders Hotel? Share your experiences!