“Third Year in a Row (and counting)” 5 of 5 stars

The Flanders Hotel
719 E 11th Street, Ocean City, NJ 08226   |
Ranked #9 of 34 Hotels in Ocean City
Lehigh Valley, Pennsylvania
“Third Year in a Row (and counting)”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 1, 2012

We would stay no where else. This is our third year. It always meets expectations, which are high. Very efficient check in. The room is extremely clean and up to date. The suite arrangement is perfect. We could not locate a hair blower, but I'm sure that I could have gotten one, if needed. Maintenance was AMAZING. We couldn't open our safe and they were there immediately. The gentleman was pleasant and wouldn't accept a gratuity. Wow!

The only draw back is the restaurant. We had breakfast there, which was fine; however, for the second year in a row we tried to have dinner. In order to avoid the terrible problem with service we experienced last year, we decided to make a reservation. When making it, we discussed with the person at the restaurant "prime rib night". I confirmed that there would be an entree I could eat, as I don't eat meat. When we arrived, I was told that that the item promised, actually, was not available on "prime rib nights". We couldn't switch restaurants due to our plans. The salad was pretty sad. I was told the prime rib was pretty ordinary, as was the dessert. The price wasn't so bad. The portion was huge.

All in all, I wouldn't trade the hotel. For convenience, location (on the beach and boardwalk) parking included, the suite arrangement, the price - it can't really be beat. (and there's always the coffee shop in the lobby).

• Stayed August 2012, traveled with family

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (64)
Mantua, New Jersey, United States
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 21, 2012

Stayed in the Ocean Front Penthouse which includes EVERYTHING. WOW and GRAND to the interior design. Tray ceiling, crown molding found in Cape May houses, chandeliers ect. The furniture was SO comfy! Two comfortable bedrooms. The beds are VERY comfortable and linens felt terrific. 3 superclean bathrooms of marble and gold fixtures. Upscale kitchen and accessories. Was during a heat wave so the Patio and balcony were visited by not used as planned. This is location, location, location. The downstairs bedroom let in some of the carnival ride noise, but didn't interfere with sleep. There are 2 floors to this Penthouse. Didn't know the door key made the elevator go to the 2nd floor till 2nd day. I know it's pricey, but if you have to get two suits on the ocean front or boardwalk, kick in $200 more, you can have the grandest place you'll find!!! Splurge and stay here, you'll talk about it for years. The staff is terrific. Coffee is only okay at coffee shop. Restaurant is very good, went there for dinner and room serviced breakfast, both fantastic. There Pool water melts beach tags we found out. Parking free next door. They have a spa too.

• Stayed July 2012, traveled with family
Woodbridge, Connecticut
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 18, 2012

Recently stayed for a week at the Flanders. First 6 nights, we stayed in the Skyline Terrace suite - great AAA discount.
Skyline Suite: Lovely very nicely decorated and consistent with the Flanders theme of bygone days You take the main elevator up to the 9th floor, and then a smaller, very slow elevator up to 10 or 11. If you get off on 10, you enter the suite on the bottom floor where there is a bedroom, bathroom, and a 2-story foyer - great area for teenagers to have their own space. You can also use your key card in the elevator to go up to 11 and enter directly into the main living area of the top floor of the suite. 3 full beautiful bathrooms, and the kitchen is nicely equipped with the basics. 2 sofa beds in the living room, and plenty of extra pillows/blankets in the closet. Terraces have high walls, so you need to walk right up to the wall to see the ocean. Very quiet. There is a washer and dryer in the suite - when the dryer didn't appear to be working, maintenance was called, and the front desk brought up a roll of quarters for us to use the guest laundry (on 9th floor) until it was fixed (next day). Bring detergent and dryer sheets. The central air in the suite seems a bit inconsistent, but the extra window unit on the top level that makes up for it. Master bed creaked like crazy - will need replacing soon.
Hotel: Good-sized pool - shallow end was crowded on our first day (Sat), but never after that - so refreshing after the beach. You can order food from the restaurant to be served poolside. Loved the shops in the lobby - had decent meals at Emily's twice – friendly service - and there is no better location in OC.
Promenade Suite: Skyline terrace was not available for an extra night, so the front desk was very accommodating in finding another option – a 2-bedroom promenade suite. On the 2nd/3rd floor of the hotel, modern and open - very different from the other suite, hardwood floors, granite, lots of light. Kitchen was bigger with more cabinet space. 2 sofa beds - one is full-sized, and one was a chair that opened to a twin-sized bed - perfect for little ones. At this level, the amusement park is right outside your window. There are wooden shutters and drapes to close at night to keep the light out, and the noise wasn't too bad (we were expecting the worst after the reviews). The rides stop at about 11:00, and we wouldn't normally fall asleep before then (because our kids are out riding the rides til then!). The second bedroom is much quieter with no windows. An event was going on in the ballroom across from the suite - which was loud while we walked through the hallways, but we couldn't hear from our bedroom.
In the past we've rented a house in OC, but it'll be the Flanders from here on.

• Stayed July 2012, traveled with family
1 of 5 stars Reviewed July 15, 2012 via mobile

We have stayed here before and it was great. Now- not so much. $3200 for FOUR nights, I EXPECT everything to be CLEAN! Broken chairs, broken toilet seats, layers of dust sand and grime. The staff was initially very nice and very accommodating. Went back down and spoke to a manager who offered me another room and when I went to look at it, the condition was even WORSE. I then took the key back down to tell her we will just deal, and she went from SWEET to NOT NICE. Telling me that she will not have them "deep clean" the other room if we don't want it. Regardless, the room should be clean! At over $706 + tax a night, I want a clean room and nice staff. This morning I went to return the beach tags and let them know we will be back after breakfast for our luggage and the front desk said we had 5minutes as someone was checking in. Boy, she wasn't kidding. I no sooner walk back in to make sure we had everything packed up and there was a family of five wandering around. Very strange!! I will never ever ever go there ever again!!! They have a LOT of nerve thinking they can charge what they do for a room with a very loud amusement park on one side and Zumba classes and weddings on the other side. The room was literally sandwiched in between the 2. Worst part is NOBODY CARED! Not even the so called GM. She did give me a $233 adjustment. Big deal. Next time, if I want loud and dirty, I'll pay 200 a night for a motel:-(

• Stayed July 2012
Kennesaw, Georgia
2 of 5 stars Reviewed July 10, 2012

I was recently at an event at the Flanders and was unable to finish my meal. I asked for a to go carton and was told they did not have any and would not pack my meal to take home. With each person I spoke to the story changed as to why they would not do so. I asked to speak to a manager and one of the wait staff said she was the "acting" manager and said it was the chef's policy to not allow food to go and that they did not have room in their refrigerator in which to store the food. When pressed further she then reverted to "It is against the law," to which I introduced her to my attorney who advised her that nosuch law exsisteven in an anal town like Ocean City that does everything but regulate the air you breathe and woud charge you for it if they thought they could get away with it. Finally I was begrudgingly given meat with none of the sides. I also pointed out that I paid for the meal and should be able to take any uneaten portion home to finish later. The lady at the next table had 4 in her party not able to attend and asked that the meals be wrapped to betaken to those who were unable to attend. She too was told it was not their policy to wrap meals. She pointed out that the meals were paid for and she should be able to take them with her and again they refused to give her the food. Every other business in town will wrap leftovers to go but not the Flanders so BUYER BEWARE when planning events t this facility. They also DO NOT advertise this fact in any of their advertising. I will certainly discourage everyone I speak to NOT to use theFlanders banquet facility when planning a banquet or other function where food is served.

• Stayed May 2012, traveled on business
West Deptford, NJ
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 8, 2012

I would like to applaud the Flanders for an exceptional wedding day. My guests have raved about the wedding on the beach, the wonderful facility, setting and food was excellent. My guests could not believe the friendlieness of the staff which were wonderful and accommodating.

We loved it so much we returned for Thanksgiving Dinner and the food was as usual excellent and met all of our expections.

The wedding planner was more than accommodating to my husband, myself and our guests. She worked with us on our requests and the service was amazing.

Thanks Flanders for making my wedding day so beautiful

• Stayed September 2011, traveled with family
1 of 5 stars Reviewed July 6, 2012

I booked my wedding here then had to cancel. We tried to get our deposit back. I should have known it was a shady deal when i was booking things with too different people. Horribly ran hotel! But if you speak with the staff about your issues they blame you... Even the president of be hotel. One lies and the other back him up. Wast of money. Rent a house in the city and enjoy your stay. The city is a great place to visit! not this hotel! Don't plan an event here and if you do. Get every thing they say in writing. They will say the never said it other wise!

Stayed July 2012

Been to The Flanders Hotel? Share your experiences!