“The finest Hotel in South Jersey” 5 of 5 stars

The Flanders Hotel
719 E 11th Street, Ocean City, NJ 08226   |
Ranked #7 of 34 Hotels in Ocean City
Newtown Square, Pennsylvania
“The finest Hotel in South Jersey”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 7, 2012

What a tremendous hotel. The rooms were spacous and spotless. The staff was so friendly and helpful. They have put millions of dollars into this hotel the last couple of years and it really shows. Newly renovated condominiums in a hotel filled with plenty of amenities. Amenities include: Emily's Ocean Room Cafe, Coffee Express, Salon & Day Spa, Shoppes at the Flanders, Fitness Center and a relaxing deck area surrounding the largest outdoor heated pool in Ocean City. There is not a better place to take your family for a wonderful vacation.

Pete B

Room Tip: The Penthouses are outstanding.
  • Stayed May 2012, traveled with family

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (64)
New Jersey
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 7, 2012

My husband, daughter and myself stayed here from May 11, 2012 to May 13, 2012. The room was clean and spacious. The location was fantastic. We had a housekeeping issue regarding the comforter in the bedroom, but it was taken care of quickly and satisfactorily. The only complaint that I had was that the bed in the bedroom was very hard. Since the rooms are individually owned, I guess some things can vary. I stayed here several years ago, and the bed in that room was just fine. The room was very quiet, considering there were several events at the hotel that weekend. We did not use the restaurant. We enjoyed our stay and would definitely stay here again. It was off season for our stay, so the rate was decent.

Tulsa, Oklahoma
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 5, 2012

My family and I recently stayed here and it was absolutely wonderful. The room was clean and well kept and the staff was so friendly. Anytime we needed something or had a question, the front desk manager, Colleen, was so helpful and eager to accommodate us. We will definitely be staying here again soon!

• Stayed June 2012, traveled with family
Gilbertsville
1 of 5 stars Reviewed June 1, 2012

Stayed in a 2 bedroom that wasn't cleaned upon check-in. Ask staff back 3 times to clean without success. Bought our own cleaning supplies to clean entire suite. Broken dishwasher, windows which allowed noise in from the street, coffee pot, shower, tiles on floor, and more. The internet access was too weak to reach our room without any care of the staff. The room itself was so poorly maintained that we felt like we were staying at a road side motel and paying 4 star prices. The Hotel staff were poorly trained and the front desk staff were clueless. No consistancy with anything. At the time of check-out the front desk managers response, to our horrible 4 night stay, was that we could have left at any time. (memorial day weekend). Please listen to me, avoid the Flanders Hotel.

Room Tip: room 512 is the only room worth staying in if you have to stay at the hotel
Ocean
1 of 5 stars Reviewed May 14, 2012

Once upon a time, the Flanders stood for quality and graciousness, you paid dearly for this but it was well worth it. My family has a home in Ocean City, so we didn't stay at the hotel but we did go for their Sunday brunch on special occassions, and it was always a memorable meal. They usually had three carved meats sections (Ham, Turkey and Beef), several seafood offerings, chicken, several different types of potatoes, several types of vegetables, an omlet bar, a salad, cheese and fruit bar plus a dessert table that offered cakes, pies, tarts, cheesecakes, parfaits, and puddings. Plus the waiters were very attentive with juices, sodas, tea and coffee. It was a fine dining experience with delicious, fresh food, attentive service and quiet elegance, and I loved each occassion there.

Yesterday, in honor of Mother's Day, my son took me there for the brunch, and I was shocked how so much had changed there. There was no parking in the lot accross from the hotel, so we had to park a distance away, which was annoying. I can only imagine what people had to do with elderly members in their party, some of the diners looked frail and not upto walking several blocks to the hotel. There wasn't a valet parking option at all either, and that usually goes hand in hand with fine dining.

When we got to the main dining room, we had a ten minute wait, even though we had made a reservation. When I entered the dining room, it was only half full, but the staff was disorganized, so no one was quickly bussing the tables to make room for new diners, hence the wait. When we were finally approached by a waitress to take our drink order, I was informed that they didn't have any form of juice there, just soda, tea and coffee. Now what brunch doesn't offer juice, I've never heard of something like this, and as it turns out, it was foreshadowing of the brunch to come.

They had the brunch set-up in a room separate from the main dining room, which made getting your meal more complicated. Previously it was set up in a quarter of the dining room, so there was an ease with going to and from the buffet, members of your party didn't disappear and return to the room.

And here is what they offered at the buffet:

A Carving Station with Turkey and Beef, the server carved two slivers of meat per person, and yes, they were slivers. Thankfully they were tasty slivers, but you had to return several times to have a decent portion, and who wants to do that?

They had one seafood offering, a chaffing dish with some kind of pasta and clams swimming in a white sauce, it didn't look too appealing, so I skipped that dish.

Next was a chaffing dish of thinly sliced pork roast, sittting in a dried out glop of peppers and pineapple. I did try this dish, and after several bites of the dried out pork, I pushed it to the side of my plate, it was inedible.

Next was chaffing dish of potatoes wedges, they were either over-cooked or under-cooked, but none of them were warm. I literally had to spit one back onto my plate, it was hard as a rock. Where were the mashed potatoes that would've gone so well with the different meat offerings? Or a scalloped potato? Potato wedges are not fine dining.

Then there was a chaffing dish with a vegetable assortment that looked tired and dried out, I decided to pass on that, it looked too dicey.

The omlet station looked typical, but there wasn't the usual assortment of dishes of bacon and sausage on the side, so if you didn't order an omlet,there was no bacon for you.

Across from the omlet station was a bread table that offered rolls or slices of seeded bread, and that was it, no toast, no French toast, and no danishes. And the sliced bread was stale, it certainly had been on the table for a bit.

There were also two soups offered, both some kind of creamy seafood something, but they were so watered down that I couldn't tell what kind of soup it was and didn't bother to take a second spoonful, one was enough.

They also had a salad/cheese fruit table that followed the rest of the presentations there. One pasta salad, the only green salad that was offered was a premade Caesar salad, that was it, if you didn't want a Caesar salad you were out of luck, and after a few bites of this, I put it to the side because it was so lacklustre. I ddn't like the look of the three cheeses offered, so I passed on that, and the fruit offered was all dumped into one big bowl, it was not iced, and the fruit had definitely seen better days, so I passed on that too.

Finally...the dessert table, it was terrible. The presentation was flat and unimaginative, there wasn't much of a selection, the cheesecake was still particially frozen, and their idea of a ice cream bar was to stick two large tubs of ice cream on the table and a few bowls of toppings, even the Golden Corral does a better job of presentation then this.

I'm sorry to be causing the reader so much pain in reading all of this, but it truly was such a bad experience that I want to save others from making the same mistake. And at $33 a person, it's a pricey mistake too.

I miss the old Flanders, with delicious food, nice atmosphere, and gracious service, and you can be sure I'll never go there for another meal, this was all just too depressing.

1 of 5 stars Reviewed May 14, 2012 via mobile

We went to the Mother's Day Breakfast Buffet in Emily's Cafe, and we couldn't have had a worse experience. My husband and I ordered omelettes as soon as we sat down, and they didn't come out until we had finally decided to leave. Then they charged us for an extra person. Getting the bill fixed took longer than it did for us to actually eat what was on the buffet.

• Stayed May 2012
1 of 5 stars Reviewed May 13, 2012 via mobile

Terrible service Why do I have to hear the problems the staff is having Made to order omelets? More like made then brought to your table when your finished Waitress was walking around in circles took us longer to pay then to eat cause waitress kept claiming she was extremely busy when half the place was empty This place should close or retool Unbelievable

• Stayed May 2012

Been to The Flanders Hotel? Share your experiences!