“Port-O-Call is the best!!” 5 of 5 stars
Review of Port-O-Call Hotel

We can't find prices for this hotel
Port-O-Call Hotel
1510 Boardwalk, 15th and Boardwalk, Ocean City, NJ 08226   |
Ranked #4 of 35 hotels in Ocean City
Reading, Pennsylvania
“Port-O-Call is the best!!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 1, 2012

I have been reading the reviews and have to comment on the person would said the Port-O-Call having an 80's decor. I dont know what they consider modern,but this hotel is very modern. We have been going there for at least 20 years. Over this time I have seen alot of changes. They are constantly updating the decor. Also, very clean, friendly and I always feel like I am at home when I go there. Looking forward to going again.

Stayed May 2011, traveled with family
GlennLosch, General Manager at Port-O-Call Hotel, responded to this review, April 3, 2012
Thank you for setting the record straight on this particular review. The Port-O-Call has become such an icon and success due to people like you who stay with us year after year. Your comments are appreciated by the management and staff and we look forward to the opportunity to of hosting you again.

161 people have reviewed this hotel

Business
Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (37)
Fort Lauderdale, Florida
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 28, 2012

We have visited the Port-O-Call every year for the last four years. Prior to that, we stayed at various other locations on the Jersey Shore from Atlantic City to Ventnor to Margate. The Port-O-Call is our favorite. It is not a fancy place. It is more like a home away from home with a great boardwalk location. Every summer there is a new group of women that come for the summer from out of the country. They work in housekeeping or in the restaurant and they are always very kind and very happy to be here. The hotel and the rooms are kept up very well. Families are welcomed...after all this is Ocean City!

• Stayed August 2011, traveled with family
We appreciate your feedback and I would personally like to thank you for sharing your thoughts about your most recent stay with us.
San Diego, California
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 21, 2012

We stayed in early March, mid-week. Although they did not come down on their advertised price, they did upgrade us to a room on the ocean side, which was unexpected, and a nice surprise. The room was lovely, clean and fresh-smelling, and sufficiently large, with a balcony that would add to the livable space in warmer weather. The view and location are fabulous, and being on the boardwalk on its quiet end was a real treat. The property is non-smoking, however one employee would stand right outside the door to the lobby to smoke; he needs to get farther away from where guests are coming and going. When we arrived the hotel was doing off-season maintenance, pressure washing the balconies; we were not warned about this when we made our reservation. We do understand that properties will use their slow times to do this kind of necessary work, but we feel that something should be said before guests arrive to find the lower entry door (where one brings in luggage) impassable due to flying water and paint chips. Having said all that, we found the hotel room (7th floor) and lobby to be bright and airy, and enjoyed our stay once we got over running the gauntlet to bring in our luggage.

• Stayed March 2012, traveled as a couple
Thank you for your review! I apologize for the inconvienence you experienced due to the power washing and repainting of our balconies. This process produced more of a mess than I anticipated and while we did circulate flyers regarding this project, I do recognize that we fell short with pre-warning you prior to your arrival. I do appreciate your most gracious review and I'm happy that you had a great stay overall. I will contact you personally to discuss this matter in further detail.
Kutztown, PA
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 8, 2012

Stayed for three nights in August 2011 with my two children and had a wonderful time. Spacious room with a balcony overlooking the ocean. Cleaning staff did a great job every afternoon putting the room back together. Location is great. You're at the quiet end of the boardwalk so it's not noisy at night. Short walk to the beach and easy to get back to enjoy the pool, too.

The parking lot is a bit tight, but you're so close to everything you really don't need your vehicle much.

It is expensive, but so is just about everything at the shore. I did feel as though I get my money's worth although I don't know if I could stay here every time I come to Ocean City.

• Stayed August 2011, traveled with family
GlennLosch, General Manager at Port-O-Call Hotel, responded to this review, March 12, 2012
Dear Guest,

Thank you so much for reviewing our hotel on tripadvisor. We appreciate your business and take all of our guests opinions seriously and personally. Your opinons allow us the opportunity to address any concerns you may have or just to say thanks. I do share our reviews (good or bad)with my management and staff to ensure that our focus remains on excellent customer service and a beautiful, clean hotel.

Please visit our website for some fantastic summer specials we our running during the months of July and August.

Again, thank you and I look forward to personally greeting you during your next Port-O-Call hotel vacation.

Glenn Losch
Pennsylvania
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 8, 2011

Let me preface my review by saying that my husband and I have been staying at the Port-O-Call for many, many years...not just in the summer but sometimes in March or April as well. We really enjoy the hotel and the location can't be beat. That being said, I do have some concerns.

We have been staying in the same king corner room for many years and have enjoyed the new color on the walls, new carpet, bedspread, etc. However nice these superficial things are some things do need attention.

We stayed there again in early September and noticed some of the same issues with the room from previous years and I decided to take pictures and e-mail them along with my concerns to the general manager. I e-mailed him in early October and again in Mid-October and to date I have heard nothing from him. I even sent an message through the hotel's website and heard nothing. This tells me that either the fellow at the front desk gave me his incorrect e-mail address, the concerns weren't considered important enough to correct, or that my concerns weren't important enough to warrant a response. Either way, I consider them important especially since each year the same problems exist. Specifically...the window blind facing the ocean hasn't stayed up correctly since its installation several years ago; there's black stuff (mold? mildew?) and peeling paint at the ceiling in the tub/shower area; the door into the bathroom sink area is split on one side; the cabinet doors at the wet bar don't match up or close properly unless you maneuver them in a certain way. Also, the pipe under the sink at the wet bar came apart and water was running out of the cabinet doors...I did call the front desk and someone from maintenance came immediately and fixed it.

Please understand, that with all this said, we will continue to spend time at the Port-O-Call Hotel. Overall, it is a beautiful hotel with very nice staff and a perfect location. I'm just frustrated that my concerns and repeated attempts to bring them to the manager's attention, have been ignored.

So, if you're reading this and are trying to decided on whether to stay at the Port-O-Call, do, so, you will enjoy it.

• Stayed September 2011, traveled as a couple
, General Manager at Port-O-Call Hotel, responded to this review, November 21, 2011
Dear Guest,

I'm sorry you feel I was unresponsive, howerver, I do recall contacting you immediately after I received your original email and explained to you that your concerns would be addressed and corrected before you next stay. As a matter of fact, I gathered my management team together and conducted an inspection of your room to ensure that your concerns were addressed and all repairs were completed. As for your second email, I unfortunately did not recieve that email which prevented me from responding. I do appreciate your business and I am glad to know that your stay with us was a good one. We look forward to seeing you next year.

Thank you!
Glenn Losch
Gladwyne, Pennsylvania
3 of 5 stars Reviewed October 12, 2011

The Port O Call is the best you're going to find in O.C.. It's not the Four Seasons but it is a friendly family hotel. Prices are certainly on the high side but if people didn't mind paying, the vacancies would cause the price to come down, which obviously isn't happening. Prices at the shore are high. Just check the prices in Wildwood for what you get there. If you want the best O.C. has to offer in a hotel, the Port O Call is the place.

Stayed July 2011, traveled as a couple
waterford twp
2 of 5 stars Reviewed September 27, 2011

This hotel could really use a makeover. Room decor hasn't changed in 20 years. Although on the boardwalk no privacy as the pool is right there where everyone walking past can look and see. There are no luxury hotels in this community. I understand that it is a family shore town. But please a little luxury it is a vacation isn't it? I was told this waas the best in OC. Not much better than a Quality Inn. Better to drive a little further south to be spoiled.

Room Tip: The upper floors the view is nice of the ocean but the carpets are dirty and the bathrooms really sm...
  • Stayed August 2011, traveled with family
, General Manager at Port-O-Call Hotel, responded to this review, September 28, 2011
I would like to thank the reviewer for his/her comments and for staying with us while vacationing in Ocean City. However, I do feel that the reviewer’s comments are misleading and a bit confusing. First, our beautiful hotel is a great source of pride for our Owners as well as the management and staff, which is determined to ensure our guests are provided a clean, comfortable and well maintained environment during their stay with us. I would like to point out that over the last 4 years our hotel has undergone extensive renovations to our public areas and guestrooms and does not reflect "Outdated 80's decor" in the least bit. Instead, our rooms are tastefully appointed with a modern, tropical feel with beautiful and recently renovated granite bathrooms. Second, the reviewer states that there is a lack of privacy at our pool due to the fact that "everyone walking past can look and see" which I find confusing. One of the many features and benefits of the Port-O-Call hotel is that we are located on the beach and boardwalk which is why the vast majority of our guests choose to stay with us. Unfortunately, we cannot control or stop people from looking at the hotel while strolling the boardwalk. Third, I do believe we offer many luxury features such as nightly turndown service, spa services, bellman services, nightly housekeeping services, kids juice and cookies delivered each night by our housekeeping staff, kid's camp, poolside dining, room service, Pink Parrott Grill (hotel restaurant), new fitness facility and new men's and women's bathrooms/locker facilities and much more. Fourth, we do have all of our carpets professionally cleaned prior to each season and make every effort to maintain them during the season.

Been to Port-O-Call Hotel? Share your experiences!