“Take a Step Back in Time” 5 of 5 stars

1280 Boardwalk, Ocean City, NJ 08226   |
Hotel deals
Ranked #2 of 34 Hotels in Ocean City
Minnetonka, Minnesota, United States
“Take a Step Back in Time”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 12, 2013

Go back to a simpler time of walking the boardwalk, sitting by the pool and hearing the roar of the ocean from your window and that is what you will get when you stay at the Beach Club Hotel in Ocean City, NJ. Nice, simple, clean rooms with a flavor of the shore. A newspaper to wake up to in the morning, with coffee downstairs to greet you to a beautiful sunny day. Breakfast in the diningroom or on the deck facing the ocean make a great start to the day. Maybe a walk out to the pool to relax or a walk up and down the boardwalk to shop and take in the scenery. All is not far away, as the location is perfect for all enjoyment, but not the noise of the center of the boardwalk. Feels like you have stepped back in time to the quiet, enjoyable simple, yet comfortable place to be. My husband and I had our wedding on the beach just a few steps away from the hotel, on a beautiful sunset evening. They had rooms to accomodate our small group and made our stay wonderful. We will never forget the occasion and how nice the staff was to us. I would recommend this as a great place to stay for couples, families and anyone trying to soak in the South Jersey experience.

Room Tip: Get a room facing the ocean for the complete experience
  • Stayed May 2012, traveled as a couple
jaabarlow, Manager at Beach Club Hotel, responded to this review, March 15, 2013
Thank you for your review. We hope you will find your way east again some day soon! The new renovations are nearly complete and all the rooms will now have 2 queen size beds!

Solo
Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (45)
Buffalo, New York
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 13, 2013

I went back in July and this resort has always been great. I have never had a complaint at this hotel. This is the only place I would ever stay in OC. They do a great job with turning over the room every day and they give you plenty of clean towels. There was even a safe in the room which my husband liked because he could lock up his laptop. They're nice rooms, have plenty of space and there is just a nice feel to the rooms that brings back good memories. They don't try to trick you in the photos and exaggerate how luxurious it is or how big the pool is.

• Stayed July 2012, traveled as a couple
Rochester, NY
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 20, 2012

This is was our second last minute get-away with family at the Beach Club Hotel. Rooms are even better than before-decor has been spruced up and bathrooms re-tiled. The place is spotless and staff is efficient and pleasant. The hotel is directly on the boardwalk. For that reason I would NOT recommend ocean view rooms-first floor you are basically in a fish tank for the boardwalk gawkers or swimming pool patrons to stare into your room unless you leave the curtains closed. We chose the less expensive city view rooms which were whisper-quiet away from the traffic. If I want to view the ocean, I'll go outside!
My only complaint is no microwave. I frequent a lot of hotels and, unless they are super fancy, they all have microwaves. Our room did have a single serving coffee maker and refrigerator, though. Being gluten intolerant, I like to travel with and make my own oatmeal for breakfast (which I have down to a science in a microwave). We were not able to get a microwave even after calling down to the front desk. Otherwise I'd give it 5 stars for location, friendliness and cleanliness.

Room Tip: Don't request ocean view first floor- EVERYONE can stare in your room unless you always keep cur...
Philadelphia, Pennsylvania
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 18, 2012

We just returned from our third annual trip to Ocean City in September. We have stayed at the BEach Club each year and we've never been disappointed. The location is perfect - right on the boardwalk and steps from the beach but not too close to the rides and amusements so that it's really noisy. Yes, the rooms are a bit dated but they are spotlessly clean. The beds are comfortable. One amenity we took advantage of this year: after checking out, we received a key to the common areas of the hotel, allowing us to use the changing rooms, showers and restrooms even after we checked out. We only had to move our car out of the hotel's lot (there is public parking next door). There's a bike room to keep your bikes locked up - nice not to have to keep them on the bike rack on the car. The staff was friendly. My only wish is that there were sheers on the windows, as well as black out curtains to let light in while preserving privacy. We'll be returning for a 4th year next Fall.

Room Tip: Ask for a room with a pool view - you can also see the ocean. Not too noisy - the pool closes at ni...
  • Stayed September 2012, traveled with family
jaabarlow, Manager at Beach Club Hotel, responded to this review, September 20, 2012
Thank you so much for your review and your loyal patronage. We are pleased to announce that the hotel will be undergoing an extensive renovation this year. We look forward to seeing you in 2013!
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 13, 2012 via mobile

After looking at precious trip advisor comments we chose Beach Club Hotel. And what a great choice it was! We were able to check in early, it was jut across the boardwalk to the beach, the room was clean and the restaurant was convenient! Definitely a great choice and the place we will stay in the future. I highly recommend this hotel!

• Stayed July 2012
Washington, DC
2 of 5 stars Reviewed September 9, 2012

This is the second year in a row my family and I have stayed at the Beach Club Hotel, and I have a few additions and changes to my previous review. This year we stayed 4 nights mid-week in September.

Pros: The hotel is located right on the boardwalk by13th Street and is a close walk to the beach, which is really nice at 13th Street. It's located near some cute stores on the quieter end of the boardwalk, so you don't get as much of the noisy crowds and really noisy rides. We ate breakfast at the hotel every morning, and lunch once, and we all enjoyed the good, filling, basic food. The restaurant stayed open late one day to serve us lunch, when we were driven off the beach due to rain around 2 pm and nearby restaurants were closed. The guest rooms have refrigerators and flat screen TVs.

Cons: The decor has got to go. The carpet and wall paint are very dark, leading to making the hotel look very dreary and dirty, even when it was clean. You had to wonder if the hotel was trying hide filth with its dark green carpets. The decor is really out of date from its polyster, stained bedspreads to its refrigerators that create ice in the drinks you leave in the fridge. The breakfast staff at the restaurant seemed overwhelmed and, while they worked hard, because they were overwhelmed, they could be a bit abrupt and make a few mistakes. Housekeeping starts working at 8:30, so if you like to sleep late or have breakfast before changing for the beach, make sure to put out the "Do Not Disturb" sign on your door. The housekeeping staff always came at inconvenient times - early in the morning when we were trying to get into our swim suits to head to the beach or when we were coming off the beach and wanted to get out of our wet clothes and take showers. This happened every single day - no joke - even when we staggered times when we went to and came back from the beach. My guest room smelled a bit mildewy ad water-logged.

The hotel is very expensive, not worth what it costs. If you have that kind of money to spend, go stay at the Flanders Hotel. Or, save your money and stay at the Impala Island Inn, which is cheaper, but nice.

Lancaster, Pennsylvania, United States
1 of 5 stars Reviewed September 5, 2012

I have been coming to the Beach Club for many years in Sept. with a group of women and never had any complaints. So this year when I planned a 2nd trip to OCNJ with another group of women, I made reservations online with the Beach Club. I found this experience to be anything but pleasant. We arrived early evening & checked into our room. I beleive they must have given us the last room because it was the room above the awning that someone else mentioned. The room had a terrible moldy/musty smell. We went to the front desk to ask if there was anything else available and was told they were completely full in all 4 of their properties. They offered frebreeze (which would not correct the problem but mask the smell) or they could put an ozinator in the room but we would need to leave for 1 1/2 hours or they could do it in the morning. They did say they would have a room on the 4th floor with a muphy bed and a sleeper sofa which we could have for the same price because of the view. We checked it out and found it be stuffy and was not worth the switch, just for the view. When we asked to speak with the manager, we were never given the chance. The lady at the desk would only talk to the manager & relay the messages. Last resort was we were told we could leave because that is all they had. So we ended up going to our room & found we could easily check in at the Port O Call which is also located on the boardwalk and few blocks away. They even discounted the first nights rate. Was very disappointed in how the beach club handled the whole sitatuion. First ....not letting us speak to a manager, 2nd never did anyone come to the room to check out the smell and 3rd. only got a "sorry bout this" as I was walking away from the desk to leave. Really makes me not sure I would recommend them, mainly beacuse of the customer service we received. Was sent a departure survey after checking out & filled it out but to this date, have never heard back from anyone.

Room Tip: Ask to see the room before commiting to stay
  • Stayed August 2012, traveled with friends

Been to Beach Club Hotel? Share your experiences!