“Disappointing...” 2 of 5 stars
Review of Plymouth Inn

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Ocean City
Plymouth Inn
You added Plymouth Inn to your Saves list
710 Atlantic Ave., Ocean City, NJ 08226   |
Ranked #4 of 26 Ocean City B&B and Inns
New Jersey, Usa
“Disappointing...”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed July 30, 2012

OK- I will let you know the good and the bad....The only reason I can surmise that this ranks so high on tripadvisor is because there not too many decent places to stay in ocean city? I can't explain it otherwise.

Good- location is one block from boardwalk and beach. It looks nice from the outside. Our room appeared clean.

Not good- upon entering, it looks like "my grandmother's" living room in the downstairs.Don't get me wrong, I don't mind comfortable and old fashioned- but this was worn out and tired. Many things were actually broken- rocking chair in living area cane bottom was broken and pushed through and broken glass lantern (very dangerous for kids and within their reach).

Room was not any better. Crooked bed frame, ancient furniture, bathroom actually from the 1950s? The small bath with pink and white tile had a tiny old sink.We refrained from showering in the shower as the drain did not drain even though the drain plug was missing (yuck). The bottom of the bathroom door had big chunks cut out of it- as if it had been water damaged and then they just cut off chunks of the bottom of the door instead of replacing it. Also, peeling wall paper and cheap white plastic blinds that let in all the light in the morning. Bed was super hard and creaky- but the sheets seemed crisp and clean.

Breakfast- I don't want to hurt the manager's feelings, because she was quite nice, but it was nothing special. I would not have paid for it. It was all store bought muffins (think normal grocery store) and some other unappetizing bits. I mean, Entenmanns would have been a step up. She did make some french toast, but the same bland french toast/white bread I can make at home with artificial maple syrup. I was expecting a great meal from the reviews- that did not happen. No yogurt, granola, hash browns, bacon, sausage or other hot choices. Really nothing healthy- just carbs and then french toast. Except there was a bowl of fruit salad that was all watermelon and canteloupe. Maybe we were there on a slow morning after the weekend rush and the breakfast is usually better? I don't know. I suspect we could have gotten a better breakfast for $25 for the 4 of us not too far away.

Lastly, I was led to believe from the reviews and my conversations prior to arriving that we would be meeting the owner/innkeeper. We never even saw him/her.

I would look elsewhere for somewhere to stay for the prices they are charging. Everything seemed either very old and on its last legs, actually broken or super cheap quality.

plymouthinn, Owner at Plymouth Inn, responded to this review, June 17, 2013
As the owner of this grande old inn for the past 18 years, this reviewers comments were well received. We spent the winter gutting out that pink and white tile in suite 4/5, and replaced it with top of the line terracotta, from floor to ceiling. Got rid of the old tub, sink and toilet, and that door (it had not been chewed, maybe kicked over the years.) I believe that if this reviewer returned, she would have to like the French provincial sink, mirror, and brand new windows throughout the suite. The wallpaper has been stripped, and the room freshly painted, and I had new wooden blinds installed. As to the living room, it may feel like your grandmother's living room because my husband's great grandmother was the owner of the Wynn Hotel in Atlantic City, well before the casino years, and the chairs in the foyer proudly stood in the Wynn foyer, almost 60 years ago, and found their way to our Inn from a second cousin who had them redone and shipped to us. We can't part with those, but I did part with the broken lantern, and I even replaced the rocker. Well, its been a busy winter, hope this puts these issues to rest once and for all. By the way, I purchased all new furniture for both rooms, and pillow top Beautyrest mattresses. One last response, you didn't meet me but my sister runs the place, and she is a retired home economics teacher who does bake, daily. It may have been her day off. I challenge you to come back and try her blueberry cake.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (23)
Little Falls, New Jersey
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 30, 2012

My wife and I never expected the service and hospitality that we received from the staff and management. They booked us with no problem and treated us like royalty. My family will never go any where else in OC but the Plymouth Inn. The rooms are spacious , beautiful , and clean. The price is outstanding. It was worth every penny and then some.

south jersey
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 28, 2012

We just stayed at this B&B and it met all of our needs. The staff was very pleasant and helpful. The breakfast was very tasty. It is located a block away from beach and all the action. This is a very family friendly bed and breakfast. We absoultely loved this place and we were satisfied 100%. It is everything you want in a Bed and Breakfast.

Blairstown
2 of 5 stars Reviewed July 27, 2012

My husband and I stayed at the Plymouth Inn for our anniversary weekend. We stayed in room #3. The room is small but we knew that at the time of our reservation. The bathroom is tiny, so tiny that the sink is by the bed not in the bathroom. The shower is so small you can't stop the water from getting all over the floor. The ceiling vent is falling out of the ceiling. The ceiling fan above the bed was caked in dirt and cob webs. We asked to have it cleaned which they did. The bed squeaks loudly at every movement all through the night. The air conditioning in the common areas, which are huge, is not adequate. We don't know if it was just our room but at least room #3 is in desperate need of a makeover.

The attending inn keeper, who is not the owner, could only recomend one place to eat which is the restaurant right across the street. She couldn't help with directions or activities or anything a first time visitor to a town would want to know. While you can use the main floor bathroom and the outside spicket after checkout, you can't use the beach tags so be prepared to pay for your beach tags on the last day.

When making the reservation we were asked if we could pay in cash in order to help keep the credit card fees down for the Innkeeper. We decided to accomodate but didn't expect to have to pay in full upfront. We negotiated to 1/2 upfront and 1/2 upon departure but were subsequently asked again for full payment during our stay. We thought if the room were beautiful and the service at the level of many other B&B's we've experienced we would all benefit from keeping costs down. But this is not the case.

The house itself is very quiet. This is not a traditional B&B where there are no children. There were several children staying at the inn while we were there and we couldn't hear anything from inside our room. Even the stairs are completely silent. If you're looking for a B&B experience don't stay at the Plymouth Inn. Think of it more as a beach motel with someone to cook you breakfast.

• Stayed July 2012, traveled as a couple
Birdsboro, Pennsylvania
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 23, 2012

I called last minute on a Monday, and inquired about vacancy for the next day on Tuesday. I spoke to the owner, Nick, to make the reservation. He was extremely friendly and helpful. Miraculously good for me but bad for them of course, one of the guests had an emergency and had to leave to go home. Then, the next day I was off for OC, NJ. From the minute I walked into the nice open foyer, I was greeted by a super friendly young lady Inn Keeper! You could totally tell she loved her job and loved people. I loved the fact that breakfast and beach tags were included in the price as well. Breakfast everyday was absolutely AWESOME--chocolate chip pancakes, waffles, fruit, donuts & assorted pastries, cereal, juice, etc.!!! The location was wonderful too--one block from beach, boardwalk & bike rentals. The Inn itself had the homiest feel and brought back a lot of memories of the Jersey Shore as a child. I felt as though I WAS at home.

• Stayed June 2012, traveled with family
Berlin, New Jersey
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 16, 2012

My family spent a weekend at The Plymouth
Inn this summer, what a great place to stay. The breakfast was wonderful. The room was beautiful. I would recommend this bed and breakfast to anyone that likes Ocean City to stay at the Plymouth Inn. Close to the Boardwalk and beach. Can't wait to go back!!

Room Tip: Call in advance to book a room