“Gracious and relaxing environment” 5 of 5 stars
Review of Northwood Inn

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Ocean City
Northwood Inn
You added Northwood Inn to your Saves list
401 Wesley Avenue, Ocean City, NJ 08226   |
Ranked #1 of 26 Ocean City B&B and Inns
Certificate of Excellence 2014
Boston, MA.
“Gracious and relaxing environment”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 11, 2007

Spent Labor Day weekend at the Northwood Inn and had the most relaxing time we've had in ages! Marj and John are wonderfully attentive hosts. John is extremely knowledgeable
about Ocean City history and Marj is a great cook. Breakfast was excellent. We just loved sitting on the front porch in the cool evening breeze and playing pool in the beautiful " Victorian Pool
Room." We will go back again next year.

• Liked — The inn is typically Victorian in flavor and ambience. It is quiet and comfortable while only a short distance from the activities of the Ocean City beach.
  • Disliked — N/A
  • Stayed September 2007, traveled as a couple
    • 4 of 5 stars Check in / front desk

Business
Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (17)
West Chester PA
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 18, 2007

I just returned from a 3 night stay at the Northwood Inn. What a lovely B&B. I enjoyed my stay and this will be my new home away from home whenever I am in Ocean City. From the time I arrived until checking out my every need was attended to by the thoughtful attention of the personable innkeepers, Marj and John Loeper. A beach tag was provided, bikes were available for use, everything one could want was thoughtfully provided. Breakfast was delicious and I loved the smell of baking muffins! Homemade chocolate chip cookies and iced tea greeted me each afternoon when I returned from the beach. Just the right touch. Down the hall from my room was a full size refrigerator that was available for guests to use. There was also a water cooler with hot and cold water dispensers and all the supplies needed for making a cup of tea. Very convenient. My room was cozy, comfortable, and immaculate. In fact, I was impressed with how clean and well cared for the whole property was. I loved the roof top deck with hammock, chairs, and a hot tub. A space to get away from it all. My overall impression of this property was that it reminded me of the small boutique hotels that I have stayed in through out the English countryside. It is very evident that the innkeepers have put a lot of thought into anticipating everything a guest could need for a wonderful stay. The Northwood Inn is a winner in my book.

• Liked — cleanliness and ammenities
  • Disliked — nothing
  • Stayed August 2007, traveled with family
Outside Philly
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 3, 2007

Being that the Northwood Inn is the first Bed and Breakfast that I've had the pleasure of visiting, I wasn't sure what to expect. In fact, upon entering the getaway, I was told by another guest that I was sure to love every moment of my stay, and that it was killing her to leave. Inspired by this, I was all the more assured of the satisfaction coming my way. Once inside, I was greeted by one of the friendly and charismatic owners of the facility. He was brief and courteous in his explanation of the general rules and details of the hotel. One of the things I came to admire the most about John, co-owner of the Northwood, was the way he spoke to my friends and I as though we were young adults, and was never patronizing in any way, as has been my experience in other situations. The room itself was gorgeous, with a fantastic side deck that was quite nice for a relaxing evening outside. The extra help around the b&b was quite accomodating and personable. Breakfast was served each morning right on time, and it was lovely to be greeted by a group of smiling face, as well as the smell of fresh coffee and muffins. The resort itself has a variety of entertainment for all sorts of different guests, including a pool table, a hot tub, and a large selection of books and movies, ranging from Astrology to Moulin Rouge. Harry, the dog of the house, is both friendly and charming as well. Just outside the general dining area is a back porch, with a lovely assortment of flowers of different vareties. A table situated on the deck makes for a lovely lunch or dinner spot. One of my personal favorite things about the getaway is the roof; aside from the hum of the air conditioner, the roof is the perfect spot to lie down and relax on a cool, breezy night.
All in all, the Northwood Inn is a fantastic place to stay if you'd like some interesting company and a fun conversation about history, travel, or George Carlin ;)

• Liked — The home away from home atmosphere
  • Disliked — The stay was too short!
  • Stayed August 2007, traveled with friends
    • 5 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
    • 3 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)
wayne, nj
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 9, 2007

We have just come home from a 3 day stay and are in love.
This was our first trip to Ocean City and the Northwood B and B.
is truly a treasure on the island. The breakfast is fantastic (orange chocolate chip muffins) , plus plenty of informative conversations with the owners. John and Marj the inn keepers are perfect for the career they have chosen. Accomodations are first class and that's from a man who only likes new hotels. Only four blocks to the beach. I would highly recomend it.

• Liked — john and marj
  • Disliked — nothing
  • Stayed July 2007, traveled with family
    • 5 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
    • 5 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)
Concord, New Hampshire
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 28, 2007

We've been staying at the Northwood for over ten years and have never been disappointed. Marge and John are congenial hosts and the weekend full breakfasts are wonderful. The Inn is close enough to the beach and boardwalk without being too close to hear the noise. Our favorite room is the Lotus Blossom Suite. A few nights at the Northwood has become a summer tradition.
TJO - NH

• Liked — Quant and comfy B & B
  • Disliked — ?
  • Stayed June 2007, traveled with family
Harrisburg, PA
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 25, 2007

I just returned from a weekend at the NORTHWOOD INN
Bed & Breakfast. What a wonderful place. I typically prefer B&B's because they offer more personal service and charm. This one was excellent! The daily breakfast was out of this world and the owners/staff were helpful and welcoming. Also, the facility was very clean and convenient. I would highly recommend it.

p.s. Livia & Ed ... thanks again for the great restaurant suggestion! Marj & John ... we had a wonderful time.

• Liked — The great homemade breakfasts.
  • Disliked — Very little; the 4 block walk to the beach.
  • Stayed June 2007, traveled with friends
    • 4 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
Pittsburgh, PA
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 25, 2006

The Northwood has been my home at the Beach for nine years. It is wonderful. I come from a big family, and we have vacationed in Ocean City for over 20 years. I watched this property being renovated and admired its results. So, when the family grew too big for the beach house, I decided to book a room for the week at the Northwood. That was 1999 and I've been back ever since. It is a wonderful way to stay in Ocean City. As a matter of fact, I often come throughout the year, dropping family members at the casinos in Atlantic City. It's only 20 minutes from the slots, but I like this atmosphere much better. The rooms are spotless, beautiful and comfortable. I just love sitting on the porch in the mornings, and coming home at night to the twinkling, welcoming lights. Marj and John are wonderful people, and they open their homes and hearts to visitors. I'd like to get down sometime for the New Year's Eve festivities, and I have already booked my room for two weeks in 2007. Stay at the Northwood ... with Marj and John ... you will love it.

• Liked — cleanliness, comfortable
  • Stayed August 2006, traveled solo
    • 5 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
    • 5 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)

Been to Northwood Inn? Share your experiences!