“Horrible” 1 of 5 stars

Ranked #32 of 34 Hotels in Ocean City
Philadelphia, Pennsylvania
“Horrible”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed October 8, 2007

We usually stay at the Forum (which is a great value) but they wanted a minimum of two nights. Since we only wanted to stay one night, we booked at the Sifting Sands since they would accomodate a one night stay. When we first entered our room, I started turning on the lights. The lamp on the living room end table didn't had a lamp shade which seemed kind of odd. As it was goign to be in the upper 80's that day, it would have nice if mgmt had turned the air on in our room prior to our arrival. The ceiling fans were not getting rid of the humidity in the room. As I looked around the room, I noticed that the kitchenette cabinets were new and the cabinets in the bathroom and bedroom were new as well. But then I looked at the living room carpet. At one point it must have been beige, but now it looked like a sooty ashtray. We didn't realize how dirty it was until my daughter took a bath. After only a few minutes of waking around in bare feet, the soles of her feet were black. Then my husband and I looked at our feet and our feet were completely black too. It was disgusting. We took one of the extra blankets and had to lay it across the carpet for the remainder of our stay. And on top of it, the shower curtain was stained (it looked like a dog had peed on it). There was a huge patch of duct tape on the shower wall where a sopa dish usually is. If you are going to renovate a room, do it from top to bottom. Don't just slap on new cabinets.
Next time, I'll stay an extra day so we can stay at the Forum and have a clean room.

• Liked — pool
  • Disliked — dirty room
  • Stayed October 2007, traveled with family
    • 3 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
    • 3 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)

Solo
Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (13)
Philadelphia
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 7, 2007

When my boyfriend and I decided to book a night in OC on really short notice, we didn't realize all hotels would be having 2 night minimums and premium rates for a Columbus Day weekend in Oct. The only place that we could stay at for 1 night was the Sifting Sands. We booked it and were glad to have a room for the night - but we had no idea what to expect.

We arrived in OC around 10:00 am on Sat. morning. We stopped in to ask if we could park our car there, and the wonderful man said we could check in!! We were thrilled. The following day, when I asked if there were outdoor showers, he asked me what time I was planning on leaving. He said that there was a good chance we could use the shower in our room if it wasn't cleaned already. Even though we checked out at 11:00 am, we spent the day at the beach, then got our keys back at 3:30 to shower! You don't get that treatment anywhere.

Our room had really cute decor. The bedroom had a tv attached to the wall and a sliding door between it and the living area. The living area had a another tv, a couch, a table with 2 chairs, a countertop stove, sink, pots/pans underneath, and a little fridge. Bathroom was average size. Has a modern look to it even though you can tell the place has been there for a long time.

I've been going to OC all my life, but I never really stay at motels. I would DEFINITELY stay here again. It's not a 4 star room - you can see where rugs have stains and where improvements need to be made - but it is homey.

$89 for all that and great service on a holiday weekend with a huge festival??? You got it.

• Liked — Proximity to the boardwalk and beach + friendliness of the owner
  • Stayed October 2007, traveled as a couple
    • 5 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
Pennsylvania
1 of 5 stars Reviewed September 5, 2007

The pool area is really nice, but that's about it. Photos are misleading as they show the updated cabinets etc, but the structure is old and dingy and the carpets and floors were disgusting! The bathroom shower floor was so gross I went out and bought a mat to stand on in there. We asked for an extra blanket as I refuse to use the bed spreads in hotels and were provided with a crusty old blanket that must have been stored in their front office (that's where the girl went to get it) in a ball for years. It was nasty. When I asked housekeeping to replace it I got a pile of sheets. It was definitely small- two little rooms one with the queen bed and just enough room to walk around it, one with the pull out sofa and kitchenette, very few dishes to speak of. There was a coffee pot- but no coffee mugs- can you imagine? The lame folding chairs at the 3'x2' table didn't even match. The front desk guy was really nice when we checked in, even let us check in 4 hours early. (Guess we know why the room was empty now) . All in all, I was not happy that we paid as much as we did for what amounts to a dump. Look elsewhere folks!

• Liked — pool
  • Disliked — dirty
  • Stayed September 2007, traveled with family
    • 3 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
    • 1 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)
PA
3 of 5 stars Reviewed August 20, 2007

This little motel on Ocean Ave was perfectly fine for a weekend stay. The front office staff and manager were friendly and helpful. Our upper floor room had a neat kitchenette with generous fridge space and some kitchen equipment in the cupboards, a sitting area with fold out couch and flat-screen TV, a small separate room with a queen bed (firm, but comfortable) and plenty of extra pillows, and a large bathroom. The bathroom was a little worn, but was fine for our needs. Overall the room was clean and had no funny smells of any kind (a common problem with hotels.) The windows opened, ceiling fans in both rooms, and the AC worked fine. It was only a couple of minute's walk to the boardwalk from here. Beach passes were included with our stay. We didn't use the pool, but it looked clean and is probably great if you have small kids who want to swim.

• Liked — Suite style room; no funny smells; windows that open
  • Disliked — dark shower stall; tiny TV in bedroom
  • Stayed August 2007, traveled as a couple
    • 4 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
Eagleville, PA
1 of 5 stars Reviewed July 15, 2007

I booked this room for a weekend after speaking to the manager, Arnie. Each time I called he would ask me "what did I quote you again" which was a little fishy. He quoted me $204 plus tax ($228 total) for a room that I was told had a Queen size bed in the bedroom, a queen size sofabed, bunkbeds and a kitcheonette. My sister went down on Friday and informed me that the room was incredibly hot. So they put the A/C on and went to the boardwalk for 2 hours. Upon their return the room felt no different than when they left. The room was very dingy, dark, dirty looking and EXTREMELY cramped. The manager came up and said the ceiling fans were turned the wrong direction and that the A/C could not be turned up to the highest temperature because it would freeze. My sister had to purchase 3 fans just to be able to BREATHE in there. Basically Arnie said there was nothing they could do. At around 4:00 am the room (bedroom) became chilly because that is the room the A/C is in, and it does not properly cool the unit, as small as it is. To tell you that the bathroom is sweltering is not even a strong enough word. There is a window about 12"x12" so there is no air circulating through there at all. I came down on Saturday and my sister and her family left. The room never got even comfortable. I went down to complain and the man who came to my room was about 20 years old and basically said there was nothing he could do and I had to talk to Arnie in the morning. Not one of us in this unit slept the entire night. About 5:00/6:00 am it started to SLIGHTLY cool off but not enough that people were comfortable sleeping. I went to complain and was pretty much told that there was nothing they could do. I told them that since it was a major inconvenience and spending $228 per night for a MUCH LESS than satisfactory stay, we should be compensated by taking money off of our stay. Arnie flat our refused. I argued and asked him if he would settle for the answers we received if it was him staying in a room that hot, and he could not answer me. I finally got $50 out of him which is nothing because we wasted the other $406 by being there. I would NEVER stay here again and I will strongly discourage others from doing so. As other posts read, the pictures on the website show cheery, updated pictures... my room was very old in need of a major overhaul. I am coming back down for a week in August and instead of staying at the Sifting Sands, I will stay right next door at the Biscayne Suites which after my tour of their rooms (including the room I will be staying in) proves to be much nicer and only about $50 more per night. I would rather pay that and be able to sleep and be comfortable than save a few bucks and stay in a dump. The only nice thing about this hotel was the pool. The parking lot is extremely tight and a maid did not come in until we were leaving. Trash was overflowing by no fault of our own. BEWARE BEWARE BEWARE.

• Liked — nothing
  • Disliked — no working a/c, room was extremely small and needed major overhaul
  • Stayed July 2007, traveled with family
    • 3 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
    • 1 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)
Southampton, PA
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 15, 2006

I was shocked to read the other reviews. To me, I just don't get it. It totally exceded my expectations. It was a clean place, good pricing, friendly staff, and close to the beach. It was exactly what I was looking for, and more. And, the heated pool was a big hit with our kids.

• Liked — Pool, Beach
  • Tips/Secrets — call ahead
  • Stayed August 2006, traveled with family
    • 4 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
    • 5 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)
Philadelphia, PA
1 of 5 stars Reviewed August 17, 2006

This motel is awful! The room smelled bad, the walls and floors were dirty, the bathroom had wall-to-wall carpet (who does that??) and it reeked of urine. The air conditioner didn't work and when we complained about it we were told that you can't put it on high or it will freeze up...hello!! When we returned from the beach to take a shower, there was no hot water. The maintenance man told us it "takes a while"...after 20 minutes or so we asked where the water was coming from...Philly?? We never had hot water that day. There isn't enough parking for all of the guests of the motel. When we asked if they had additional parking we were told no, and were told to find a place on the street. Other guests were loud and shady looking. We paid over $200 per night for this pit! Stay away!!!

• Liked — nothing
  • Disliked — everything
  • Tips/Secrets — Stay away from this motel!
  • Stayed July 2006, traveled as a couple
    • 1 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
siftingsands, Manager at Sifting Sands Motel, responded to this review, September 22, 2006
As a motel we totally respect the opinions of everyone that lists on Tripadvisor, the good and the bad. We love to hear both, and we take the negative, and we strive to correct 100% of everything listed in that negative listing. Although, this email looks to me to be extremely suspicious. First off, we have zero rooms with carpet in the bathrooms. Second, there is enough parking for all guests. Third, each unit has an instant hot water system, a system that we always prided ourselves for adding. Fourth, we don't have a mainainence man to even ask, as listed in the feedback in question. As far as all the feedback from everyone, We definatly appreciate it all, good and bad. And, us as a motel, priding ourselves in customer service, feel free to contact us anytime personally with any positive and negative feedback. Thank you to all future and past guest.

Been to Sifting Sands Motel? Share your experiences!