“Sweet Escape” 5 of 5 stars

GreenLeadersBronze level
Glassboro,NJ
“Sweet Escape”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 19, 2012

Wanting a seaside escape from the oppressive inland heat, I crossed my fingers and hoped I could find a last minute getaway in Ocean City. Browsed B&Bs online and found a room available at Ocean City Mansion for a one day special discounted rate. Perfect! Easy online booking and I was packing my swimsuit and sunscreen. Off to the beach next morning.

Not wanting to leave the beach early, I phoned Nancy and asked if it would be ok to check in around 4pm. No problem at all she said, as she was unloading groceries from her car, take your time, no rush.

I arrived at the inn just as Nancy was leaving to pick up her son from the dentist's office. She quickly showed me to my room,offered to help me unload any baggage from my car and asked if I had any dietary restrictions (for breakfast).

Cool comforting air welcomed me as I entered the first floor mini-suite from it's side (exterior) entrance. My first impression was that this room reminded me of places I have stayed in Key West. Ceiling fan,palm tree and fish prints decorating the walls,colorful candies wrapped in cellophane on each bed pillow. French doors open to the cozy sitting room. A carafe of M&M's,wine glasses and 2 cowboyboot shaped shot glasses on a side table. Each remote control for the two flat screen TVs is attached to an object that could not get lost in the couch cushions. One is attached to a wooden back massager,another to a foot long, metal and glass bead wind chime. Brilliant! I will try something similar when I get back home. The bathroom is tiny with an interesting spigot and sink basin.

A door from the sitting area leads to the breakfast/common area of the house. So much to see here. Art on the walls,interesting furnishings,an old fashioned baby stroller (pram) filled with menus from restaurants in the area. Also a bowl of M&M's as well as a bowl of pistachios! Nancy has decorated this place with her own unique,eclectic style.

I park my car in the free lot at 5th Street & Asbury Ave.,right around the corner from the Mansion. The Downtown shopping district,with shops and restaurants starts just 1 block away at 6th& Asbury and continues to 11th Street. The beach/boardwalk is a pleasant 10-15 minute walk. If you are loaded down with beach chairs,cooler,umbrella,etc.,you might want to drive to the beach and park closer. The neighborhood has several old victorian houses with interesting color schemes,architectural elements and tidy colorful gardens.

A walk on the boards and back to my room. Crawling into bed, a few sounds from this beautiful old building or of the other guests. By 10:30pm all is silent,I sleep soundly in the comfortable bed.

Breakfast is served between 7:30am&9:30am. Help yourself to coffee and a variety of teas. Nancy pops out of the kitchen and offers juice. I take a seat on the porch. The sun is shining,a cooling breeze is blowing. Nancy brings out some fresh fruit in an old fashioned parfait glass. Bananas,apples,peach,cantaloupe,cherries and almonds. Next a warm blueberry muffin with strawberry sauce and slivered almonds. The charming waitress brings water and tells me what is available for breakfast today. Scrambled eggs,bacon,chocolate chip pancakes or almond pancakes. These are not choices...you get all of these if you like. No need for lunch after this!

A very vocal and affectionate neighborhood cat sits under my chair as I dine. A child brings her dog out for a walk (after taking a doggie mess bag from those provided on the porch). Nancy's little daughter comes outside and spys "puppy cat" under my chair. I have a chat with Nancy.

Unfortunately,most of us don't have a friend or relative with a beach house. Aren't we lucky that Nancy has decided to share her creativity,warmth and hospitality with us at her place?

Thank you Nancy!

Room Tip: Rooms are on the small side as described on the website. This is a Victorian Mansion not a modern Mc...
  • Stayed July 2012, traveled solo

125 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (18)
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 9, 2012 via mobile

The room was amazing we ha dour own seperate entrance and outside shower. My daughter goes downs down every year with her gymnastics team, so the day before we desided to go down and stay till the mext day when she go and stay with the team. The house had an old, beautiful, friendly, and warm feel. By the the people that are saying it was too cold, the shore is meant for the summer, remember that. I felt better then at home. The old swing on the front lawn gave an amazing touch to the whole scene. I ate breakfast on the front porch. Would love to stay there again.

• Stayed August 2011
Horsham, Pennsylvania
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 30, 2012

I had purchased a Groupon and it expired. I wanted to take my 3 daughters (ages 9, 6, and 3) on a Girl's night overnight with Mommy. I didn't know if Nancy would even work with me. But, to my surprise she readily agreed to swap my 2 expired nights for 1 night in the fancy Honey Moon Suite since it was a week day and it happened that it was not rented because someone had just cancelled.

This was our first bed and breakfast and I was nervous about how the children and I would be treated. I can answer that simply. We were treated like family from the moment we arrived until the moment we departed. The kids loved the room. Nancy walked up and showed it to us and the girls were so excited with our fancy sleeping quarters! Liana made us a wonderful elaborate breakfast. We came back again the next night with my husband and we had a repeat of the same wonderful time! We even saw guests with dogs. They were also treated very well, their dogs were well behaved, and my youngest daughter was very amused by them. Thanks Nancy! We will be back again!

• Stayed June 2012, traveled with family
New York City, New York
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 4, 2012

We stayed in the honeymoon suite and it was amazing we loved it. Nancy was so helpful in catering to our every need. The room had two wonderful message chairs and a huge Jacuzzi. We also loved the high ceilings and the fire place. They have wonderful books in the rooms that are filled with questions that you can ask your partner and reconnect. The whole three days that we spent there we didn't turn on the tv once they is so much to enjoy in the room. We would recommend staying there to anyone who needs to just relax. Also the house keeper Tanya is very sweet and provides wonderful turn down service and food.

• Stayed May 2012, traveled as a couple
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 1, 2012 via mobile

My husband and I purchased a Groupon several months ago so we could take a quick "babymoon" to the shore. I wanted to be close to home but have a day or so at the beach. Nancy was gracious enough to accommodate the Groupon outside of its official dates so we could stay. Being a veteran in the hospitality industry, I've stayed at many types of proprties, but never a B&B. This was a wonderful visit and we felt welcomed at every turn. We have a small dog as part of our family and even he had a great stay. Not only was Nancy and the staff accommodating and graciuous, but the other guests were delightful. We even had a babysitter for our dog in our room while we went to dinner and walked the boards.

The room, Miss Mckennas, had charachter but with modern touches. The layout was a little ackward sometimes, due to the amount of furniture, but the air conditionaing, tv, bathroom and hot water all worked wonderful. Breakfast was absolutly one of the best parts of the stay. It was hearty, filling and felt just like home. We would have had wine and other snacks too, but since I was pregnant, we didn't partake. I heard on several occasions Nancy ask the guests, including to myself about any dietary restrictions for breakfast/food. In my experience many people dont ask, or they either don't care.

If hospitality and a property with charachter is important to you, then choose the Ocean City Mansion for your next stay at the shore.

Stayed May 2012, traveled as a couple
Philadelphia, Pennsylvania
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 27, 2012

This is the second year that me and my fiance stayed at the Ocean City Mansion. We really enjoyed it the first year, and this year was no different! We plan on going back again if we can find another deal through Groupon.

I think my favorite part about this hotel is it's location. Your close enough to the boardwalk, beach, and Asbury Street shopping that adults can comfortably walk to all of them. In my experience the less you have to use your car, the more you enjoy vacation. It's also on a very nice street that's filled with big old houses, pretty yards, and plenty of parking.

This hotel is great for young couples looking for a romantic getaway!

• Stayed May 2012, traveled as a couple
Reading, Pennsylvania
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 16, 2012

My husband and I stayed the first weekend in November at the OC Mansion Bed and Breakfast. It was a wonderful place to get away. We looked at each room online and decided to stay in the Chocolate Room for the weekend where we were spoiled with a very large bathroom, huge jacuzzi and large comfortable canopy bed. The mansion was within walking distance of the beach as well as in a nice quiet neighborhood. Any questions that we had before or during our stay was promptly taken care of by Nancy, the B&B owner. She was very hospitable and made the stay warm and welcoming. Breakfast was delicious and extremely filling. There were also available snacks throughout the day, complimentary and/or for purchase. We can't wait to come back!

• Stayed November 2011, traveled as a couple

Been to Ocean City Mansion? Share your experiences!