“Relax and enjoy” 5 of 5 stars
Review of Ocean City Mansion

You added Ocean City Mansion to your Saves list
Ocean City Mansion
3.0 of 5 Bed and Breakfast   |   416 Central Ave, (previously Somewhere Inn Time), Ocean City, NJ 08226   |
Ranked #5 of 26 Ocean City B&B and Inns
GreenLeadersBronze level
Mount Penn
“Relax and enjoy”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 4, 2011

Finest way to enjoy the shore with your family, including your dogs. Quiet neighborhood, relaxing atmosphere. Within walking distance of downtown, and the beach. Nancy makes you feel like you're staying with family. Rooms are cozy and comfortable. Worth it just to enjoy their excellent breakfasts, especially when served on the porch. We're repeat customers. Prior to finding this place, we had stayed at the some of beachfront motels, but there's just no comparison between The Mansion and a motel. The experience is different, and it makes the trip much more enjoyable.

• Stayed October 2011, traveled with family

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (21)
Pine Brook, New Jersey
2 of 5 stars Reviewed September 27, 2011

When I see the pictures of the mansion I thought it was wonderful... to my surpirse(in fact shocked) when I entered into the ROOM. All are OLD furniture. We were hurt so many times, Bed was big, matters was small. Refrigerator was not working. Every thing(toilet/shower/bed room) is too small were there for 2 days... we did not had RELAX at all. First time I had this kind of exp. ONLY good is JACUZZI. HOPE MANAGEMENT WILL DO SOME THING ABOUT IT.

RAM..

• Stayed September 2011, traveled with family
mckenna, Owner at Ocean City Mansion, responded to this review, September 28, 2011
Thank you for taking the time to write a review. To read this response after all we did for this guest is upsetting. True, all my rooms are not large. In fact most are "small". I do not lie on my web site nor do we use a wide angle lens. My furniture is NOt "old" In fact most of the furniture through-out the house was bought within the last 2 years. I do have a few antique pieces.
The room he chose was for 2 people.. He insisited on bringing his children. I did not charge him extra even though they all had special diet requests, extra towels, sheets changed on inbetween nights, long showers, bed wetting, etc. My staff and I took hours to clean it .the We did additonal grocery shopping to please them. I noticed the door was open to the refridgerator so I closed it and put the items in an ice bucket. I am truly sorry you did not enjoy your visit. I hope you enjoy your next bed and breakfast experience better. I will also continue to strive to 'please" my guests and offer everything I can for and enjoyable get-away.
Millsboro, Delaware
3 of 5 stars Reviewed September 20, 2011

My husband and I stayed at this B&B Sunday-Tuesday to celebrate our first anniversary.

There were definitely some pros:

Location: The location is great. You're a block away from the main strip with tons of boutiques/shops/cafes. And a short walk to the boardwalk.

Dog Friendly: The inn is VERY dog friendly. It was nice to find an upscale place that would accept dogs. It's also located about 40 blocks from a spectacular dog park.

The Innkeeper: Nancy, the innkeeper, was very accommodating. We found out about the inn via groupon and all the rooms that were valid with the groupon were booked but Nancy made an exception for us to use the groupon for a slightly more expensive room.

The cons:

The room could have been cleaner. I wouldn't call it dirty but there were dead flies on the window sill, a smear of something on the bathroom door and the hardwood floor and rug were not swept/vacuumed well.

We stayed in the first floor mini-suite and while the suite was small that was not a problem. We were expecting it to be small. The room however was finished very poorly. The paint job was spotty and sloppy. The tile in the bath room has words printed on it. There was about a 2 inch gap in between blinds where people could see into the bedroom and I had to rig them up to close the gap.

While Nancy was super nice she was unavailable most of the time. We arrived at noon Sunday and noone was there to check us in, we called Nancy, no one answered. We had never stayed in a B&B before so we were not sure if we were supposed to just find our own room and settle in. Finally a housekeeper became available to check us in. We weren't given any information about the inn. We called Nancy again around 8 that night to ask a few questions. I needed the password for the internet, one of the TV's wasn't working and we wanted to find out how breakfast in the morning worked. I didn't hear back from Nancy before I went to bed but had a text message waiting when I woke up w/ the password and we figured the TV out the next afternoon.

I think we would have benefited a lot more from the stay had we been able to talk to Nancy in the first 24 hours we were there. An information sheet in the room w/ details about breakfast and the internet password would have been helpful.

There were communal shampoo, conditioner, deodorant (gross), suntan lotion and regular lotion. Individual containers would have been much nicer. The towels were very small and thin. When I think B&B I think luxury. Big fluffy towels would be much nicer.

We paid $150 for 2 nights thanks to our groupon and for that price I would stay here again but for the actual price of almost $600 I don't think the inn is worth it. The inn has potential, I wish the owner would make improvements.

• Stayed September 2011, traveled as a couple
mckenna, Owner at Ocean City Mansion, responded to this review, September 22, 2011
Thank you for your review! I will found th carpenters marks on the trim and will remove it from the wood. I reviewed the cleanliness with the housekeeper and we are at an understanding.
The shades work so I need to research this. Trip Advisors guidelines are that a review doesnt state the price so I need to contact them. Also, all guests were informed via email 2 days before there stay the pass code to the internet. I was available by phone and also live at the property. I apologize for your inconveniences and will work to improve them.
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 12, 2011

We had a great trip to OC, MD We went in June before the crowds started to come. The location is alright because you are within reasonable walking distance to the beach. And you are at the end trail of the boardwalk which isn't too bad unless you are looking for more excitement.

• Stayed June 2011, traveled as a couple
Thank you for your kind review. This is the Historic District with many fine houses that arent the cookie cutter type to admire. I appreciate you taking the time to write a positive review.
Doylestown, Pennsylvania
1 of 5 stars Reviewed September 1, 2011

On our first trip together as a couple, my girlfriend and I decided that a long weekend down in Ocean City would be nice. The only requisite she had was that she wanted a jacuzzi in a romantic suite, and the Ocean City Mansion appeared to be right up our alley. In our haste to book a reservation, we neglected to read all of the reviews of the establishment.

The room: The jacuzzi spewed out black soot. The room was dirty and needed a good vacuuming. There was sand between the seemingly-unwashed sheets on the bed. The curtains did not block out light or the peering eyes of the mansion's neighbors. The room was cluttered with furniture and I kept hitting my head on the chandelier, and I'm barely 5'8" tall. There were numerous soaps, shampoos, deodorants, toothpastes and other "goodies" which were obviously left for the use of any of the guests staying in this room...and this includes nail clippers - I had to take a photo because of my pure astonishment (picture included with this review). The toilet paper ran out so quickly, and the staff were so hard to find, that I ended up buying more myself at RiteAid and using it in the room. The owner's dogs kept me awake for almost one whole night. The towels provided were oddly small and had a mildew smell. The bedposts obstructed the view of the television.

Breakfast: We arrived with particular dietary requirements which went unheeded after our first morning's breakfast. The tablecloths were dirty and we returned some silverware because it was dirty. The meals are all chef's whim, so you get whatever they give you.

Parking and walking: We were told to park around the corner both in person and via email since the neighbors "didn't like" the Mansion's guests to park in front of the establishment - despite the ample space available and the fact that I left my car outside for an extended period of time by accident and found no ill will or disruption to my vehicle, or complaints made to me by the owners. The walk to the beach is a good 15 minutes, and to get to any decent food establishments, you might as well just walk all the way around the corner over to your car and start driving around.

Otherwise, our vacation to Ocean City NJ was a wonderful time - the boardwalk was very nice and the restaurants (also reviewed) were absolutely fantastic! Unfortunately, we wanted to be able to go back to our room to freshen up, relax for a bit during the heat of the day, or otherwise unwind, and found ourselves totally incapable of doing just that. For the astronomical price we paid, I could have had a room in any of the establishments along the boardwalk or overlooking the water, and ended up with a lodging experience that is considerably worse than any Motel 6 my family and I stayed with while on budget vacations as a kid.

Room Tip: If you have to stay here, then go for the cheapest room so you waste the least money.
  • Stayed August 2011, traveled as a couple
Thank you for taking the time for this review. Although most items I do not agree with, i am guilty of a few. First ALL sheets and linens are fresh and clean for the guests when they arrive.
Please see attached laundry detergent/water bill as verification.
The photo on this writters review does not match my property.
Parking, I am guilty but its the best I can do. It is quite an obstacle anywhere in OC to get close parking. I have worked with the city of Ocean City and they have generously allowed my guests to park in a parking lot 250 yards from the inn.
Nail Clippers; they have been removed from the rooms. Note: I was a licensed manicurist and was trained to sanitize all instruments.
Also, I would like to mention this guest left items behind that I mailed back immediately at her request.
I will review all other items with my staff so we can work on improving our work for the next guest.
Most of all whether I am in agreement or not I do take all reviews seriously.
I would like to apologize for anything that made this guest's get away not up to the standards that I am proud of. Thank you again. Nancy
Bronxville, New York
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 8, 2011

I agree with some of the reviews that the rooms need better attention to cleaning, but those reviews are way too harsh. Owner Nancy is very friendly and real. She is a mother with several children running a B&B much the way one would expect a B&B to be...very much like being at home. We stayed with our too young children and despite the fact that we were comfortable in our room with a king bed, Nancy has us spend two of our four nights in a larger suite once it became available. Her presence is comforting and our dicussions were warm, unassuming and informal...the very ingredients that make staying in a B&B satisfying. Breakfasts were good, but could have been a bit more exciting. Nancy is the type that will easily take constructive criticism and use it to make the MINOR adjustments that will correct any negative rating.

• Stayed July 2011, traveled with family
Thank you for taking the time to write this review! Any review can change the impact of my business. It also affects my income used to support my 4 children.
Running an inn is a labor of love so I want to thank you again for the time you took to support our inn.
Philadelphia, Pennsylvania
2 of 5 stars Reviewed August 6, 2011

It bothers me to write this, but knowing how much getaways cost and how much you look forward to it, I think it's important to let you know... Although the innkeeper is nice the rooms are not up to par. The bathroom was filthy when we arrived and although housekeeping brought new towels and cleaned everyday it never was cleaned properly. There was hair, which I can understand, but there was slimy muck that had been there awhile in the soap dishes and in shower stall floor around the big bottles of shampoo, soap etc. that they leave for guest after guest. There was also a self lubricant half used container. Pretty disgusting. Although the photos look nice it amazes me that if you laid your head back from the jacuzzi you'd be placing it on the toilet...how romantic. The cloth table cloths where you eat breakfast never seemed to be clean either. We have stayed all over and at many b & b's and have loved them all except this one. Try another place.

• Stayed July 2011, traveled as a couple

Been to Ocean City Mansion? Share your experiences!