“Is this New Jersey?” 3 of 5 stars

Certificate of Excellence 2014
Central NJ
“Is this New Jersey?”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed August 30, 2012

First of all we arrived at 1PM and the place was locked up. No one answered the door and when we left messages at the telephone number on the front door, none were returned. Once we did get someone, at about 3PM, we were told that the parking lot was three blocks away and $15.00 per day. Website says reduced rate parking. Luckily we got a spot in front of the Inn where there was no meter so we just didn't move the car. Next we were given beach tags that had to be returned at check out the next day at 11 AM. So much for going to the beach. Everyone that worked there was very young and was some type of foreign exchange student, which is not a problem but they didn't understand a lot of what we were saying. There was no sign of an owner or responsible person anywhere. When we checked out the girl asked us to write down our credit card number on a piece of paper so she could charge the room. This seemed a little suspicious, plus we prepaid weeks earlier. Then there was a $10 dollar per day maid service fee which was to be paid in cash. Again, we had questions, but no one was there to answer them. The room was nice and breakfast was okay. Just a little confused as to how someone runs a business like this.

• Stayed August 2012, traveled as a couple
innonmainmanasquan, Owner at Atlantis Inn Luxury B&B, responded to this review, August 31, 2012
First, our apologies for the protracted wait at the door, a very rare occurrence. We use Comcast & ATT for our telephone system and somehow the thunderstorms have affected our service including our landlines, internet and cable. There is always staff at the Inn. While we are tempted to make the door bell louder and add it to more locations; however, we are cautious not to disturb the quietness of the building that guests love about it. We do not see this as an issue and assure readers that this is an isolated incident.

With regard to parking, resort fees, beach tags…we cover these topics in our confirmation and reminder emails. Unfortunately, a good number of customers do not take the time to read the details. Not knowing exactly who the reviewer is, we would guess that he booked via an OTA (online travel agency like Expedia, Travelocity, etc). These sites do not send our confirmation email (which explain parking, beach tags and resort fees), nor do they send credit card information to us - therefore, the necessity to ask for this. We are not even sent a telephone number to contact the guest, nor is an arrival time relayed to us, so that we can better anticipate the guest. It continues to be a problem and we encourage customers to book with us directly.

We acknowledge the language barrier with some of our foreign staff, but they do know to summon a manager when a customer needs elaboration on our policies, practices, or an in-depth recommendation of area restaurants.

I am glad the reviewer like his room and breakfast and I thank him for his comments.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (43)
Wilkes-Barre, Pennsylvania
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 28, 2012

Val and his staff were friendly, and accommodating. The Inn was spotless and beautiful. The location was right in the hub of all activities. One block away from the boardwalk and beach. The breakfast was excellent, and very romantic for my wife and I. All the guests were super friendly also, which was probably because they were all enjoying themselves. I will definitely stay there again.

Room Tip: We took the smallest room which was fine, but we saw a bigger room which we would get next time.
  • Stayed August 2012, traveled with family
Many thanks for your compliments on the staff and the Inn.
Harrisburg, Pennsylvania
3 of 5 stars Reviewed August 26, 2012

The decor and layout of the inn are very nice. The beds and sheets are extremely comfortable. We stayed in the Cinese, the room itself was small. However, the bathroom and jacuzzi tub were very large. This is definitely not a 'luxury' B&B.

Despite the decor, bed, and tub, we were very disappointed. For the price of staying in the inn we expected a much better breakfast to be served, a better location, and better service overall. The rooms are definitely overpriced, Val can comment on this as much as he likes, but it is true. You will find better elsewhere for the same money. For the amount we spent for 4 nights we could have had a luxury house for a week.

Two strips of bacon or two sausages, frozen potatoes, and two extremely watery eggs... We could have paid a lot less at a diner with outstanding breakfast. Extra bacon was $5.00, this just seemed greedy as the breakfast itself was no good to begin with. The fresh fruit bar was nice, but had the same thing everyday. The owner will tell you the breakfast is a 25.00 value, it is not at all. You will get three pancakes with two pieces of sausage or bacon. If you get eggs, the potatoes are definitely OreIda frozen. The breakfast is a complete waste, and I do not suggest you book and expect a good breakfast.

The location is not beach block. It is two blocks from the beach. Additionally, the on point to the beach on sixth goes to the surfing beach. It is a longer haul from the door to the beach than you are lead to believe. Furthermore, it is immediately across from the OC high school. Not exactly what I want to stare at from the rooftop deck.

The owner. He is an extremely rude man. On the telephone he is short and condescending, but in person he is not as bad. He certainly thinks he knows it all. If you call to book, ask for Lori. She is the manager, and is much nicer and more willing to answer your questions. She also had great restaurant recommendations!

We gave this two stars only because of the bedding and jacuzzi tub. The rooftop deck was nice, but you mostly see other houses and the ferris wheel. If you sit in the right spot you can see a speck of the ocean. You can definitely find better for the money -- this is extremely overpriced. We will not be staying here again, and I can assure you this is not a 'luxury' B&B.

PROS: decor, beds/bedding, jacuzzi tub

CONS: breakfast, location, price $$$, owner, small room, wifi

• Stayed August 2012, traveled as a couple
Reviewer stayed four nights and we thank her for the business.

The Inn re-opened in 2004 after a gut-out renovation. It used "luxury" to differentiate this darling inn that so many love and return to, from the lesser lodging offerings in Ocean City (no offenses meant). Seemingly out of place in the midst of hotels, motels, inns and guest houses, the Inn featured the most upscale Italian drapes and beddings, jacuzzis for 2 and body spa showers, Villeroy & Boch china and cutlery.

I am glad Reviewer found me more likeable in person than over the phone (I confess, I may have rushed a phone conversation or two, but never condescendingly). Lori, a superb restaurateur and owner of the popular Firefly Bistro in Manasquan, NJ filled in as Innkeeper while I was away on vacation. Her expertise is cuisine and service. I met this reviewer at her departure.

I take it that Reviewer's stay was poisoned by breakfast that was a "complete waste," which I think was quite odd, considering reviewer had breakfast four days in a row without comment to Lori, whom she liked. For the record, we prepare EVERYTHING fresh - and nothing from Oreida (actually too expensive to use commercially). How can eggs be watery if sunny side up or over-easy? There's no water involved. If scrambled, we prepare them almost French-style, on the soft side for which we get rave reviews. We do not jam-pack our breakfast plates and we rarely charge for extras. Just ask for more, without charge. We do serve 3 pieces of bacon and sausage, and a piece or 2 more are not extras (we did have a trainee who mistakenly thought it to be 2 piece servings- our apologies madam). We have re-worded our menu recently and we hope it is clearer. On pancakes, we found the 4th piece to be unconsumed most of the time, so we reduced to 3 large ones. We are limited to fresh fruits we can obtain locally.

Regarding other reviewer comments: 1) Overpriced? Is $259 paid by reviewer with breakfast and beach tags for 2 overpriced? Lesser-rated area lodging charge that or more at peak season. 2) We are on beach block, a 3-4 minute walk (or 500 footsteps) to the beach and boardwalk. There is a street separation on the block for Gillians Playland (giant Ferris Wheel), but it is officially an OC block. 3) Most customers like the High School architecture, tennis courts, baseball and football field across the street. Its presence actually prevents future construction of unpredictable design. 4) It is a GROSS misrepresentation by the reviewer that the only ocean you see from the roof deck is a speck. Wide open ocean, it is not. How can reviewer miss the grandness of the view that stretches to Atlantic City, Somers Point and Margate including all the bridges. At night, the newly-installed Light Show on the Ferris Wheel is a delight to watch. 5) The beach at 6th St is both surfing and bathing beaches - I go there with my own children.

Reviewer is a Senior Reviewer who unfortunately preferred to save up her comments for posting rather than let us know while on property so we could have made her breakfasts to her satisfaction.
somerset, nj
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 18, 2012

So what is going on at the Atlantis Inn Luxury B&B? I recently stayed in July for 3 days and have also stayed with the previous owners as well. I am writing this review since I rely on trip advisor recommendations and hopefully this will give someone planning a good view to consider since many reviewers have had ups and downs.

To put things in perspective, think of this as a Hotel, and NOT a B&B. This will set your expectations level.

Short story. The inn is very nice. A bit pricey. Not 5 stars any longer. When you have "Luxury" in your name, there is a higher level of expectations. Some minor issues, did it ruin my stay? No, however, attention to detail has slipped.

Long story:

Let me address some of the issues that others have mentioned.

Location: not that big of an issue for my wife and I. Boardwalk is on the same block, it is a long block, it is certainly a short easy walk to beach and boardwalk.

Parking: to me this is a small inconvenience. Don't pay the $15 to park. This is not the owners fault. This is a summer destination and parking is at a premium. That said, any slightly savvy person can find street parking that is close to the inn. If you are having trouble, just wait until about 10 pm, and you will have your choice of any place on the street.

Rooms: Beds and bedding are fantastic. Rooms can be a bit cozy. My wife and I knew this before our stay. Not a big issue to us, but maybe for you. Carpets are starting to show wear and tear.

Housekeeping: Each day our beds where made and room straightened up. They did leave some used drinking glassed. Plus, I had to go ask for tissues and toilet paper. Did this ruin my stay, hardly, but to me that is the difference between 4 stars and 5 stars.

Breakfast: To me this is the biggest issue facing the inn. The best way to describe breakfast is awkward. Once you come down for breakfast expect the experience to last at least 1 hour. You will come down and are greeted by the wait staff and then be asked to wait until a table is ready. Then once seated, you wait some more until they ask you for your juice order. Then wait for the juice. Then wait until they ask what you would like to eat and then wait for the food. Is this an issue? Only you can decide that for yourself. Were we in a hurry, no, but it did take a long time. They did ask us for a reservation time, however only on the first day. The other days we just came down.

The Staff. The staff was always friendly and hard working. As mentioned in other reviews, English is their second language.

The Owner: The owner is was not around during our stay. I did run in to him by chance one evening. Seemed very nice. This is why I say this is more like a Hotel and not a B&B. We have stayed at many B&B's and the proud owner is always front and center, especially at breakfast. Do I expect to see Bill Marriott when I stay at the Marriott, no, but you do expect to see the owner at a B&B. Based on my stay and other reviews you will probably not see the owner. If you like to chat with the owner at breakfast, and get all kinds of recommendations on what to see and where to eat, you won't get that here. Is this a problem for you? Only you can answer that.

The resort fee and breakfast charges: I understand the resort fee. The owner is asked by guests if they can charge tips, so the resort fee was created. As for for the charges for breakfast extra's, this charge does look weird on the menu. I think this just creates the idea of "nickel and diming" the guests. This is a high priced b&b with mainly couples away for a romantic time. I can't imagine that there have been many guests looking to "chow down" at breakfast, but I could be wrong.

In summary, my wife and I had a very nice time. Like I said, there are some issues that keep this from being a 5 star experience. My wife and I have stayed in B&B's that have incredible attention to details. The Atlantis Inn does not met this high standard, but is still very nice.

• Stayed July 2012, traveled as a couple
innonmainmanasquan, Owner at Atlantis Inn Luxury B&B, responded to this review, August 22, 2012
I am glad reviewer and wife enjoyed their stay with us and we thank him for his comments.
Our apologies for missing tissues and toilet paper on a room refresh and for not removing some used glasses. A room attendant wrongly thought it improper to remove them when there remains any liquid. However, reviewer could have called our hotline -the Inn's main number, and we would have been immediately at his service.

We have re-worded the breakfast menu to clarify what are breakfast extras. Hopefully, this will correct the negative impression it has given. We have charged a sparingly small amount of customers, because it was obvious they wanted big breakfasts. Any establishment would.

I thought this review to be well-balanced. I researched who this reviewer might have been, and indeed, I did not meet him and his wife. I believe the customer should enjoy the STAY, irregardless of meeting the owner or innkeeper. If I can speak for many of my colleagues, not meeting the Innkeeper or Owner should not be a negative indicator as it has been made out to be by other reviewers. He correctly points out the Innkeeper, Owner or Manager is "not front and center all the time." It just is not possible -but we can be, with a summoning phone call to the main phone number.
Bethlehem, Pennsylvania
2 of 5 stars Reviewed August 17, 2012

This was our 2nd time staying at the Atlantis Inn because we thought it was GREAT under the previous owners (we even convinced my parents to stay here during the same time we did, so it brought more income to the new owner). Two days prior to our arrival, I emailed the B&B and advised them that we would be arriving early and inquired about an early check-in time. Never got a response back from anyone at the B&B. We arrived at 11:30 am and we were able to check in early, which was very nice. Upon going to the room, we discovered stained, dirty rugs, a dead fly & bugs between pieces of furniture, filthy window ledges, loose faucet handles on the bathroom sink, a toilet that wasn't even bolted to the floor, and a kitchen sink faucet that didn't work properly when turning it off. The owner did fix the toilet issue during our stay (he couldn't believe that no one had previously reported it) and then proceeded to tell me that the part that was needed to fix the kitchen sink was "on order" - the faucet could've been "fixed" with a quick trip to Home Depot to look for a replacement. Eating breakfast proved to be an ordeal. During our PREVIOUS stay at the B&B, it was buffet style - warm, delicious breads, cereals, fruits, eggs, meats, yogurts, etc. and you ate at whatever time you wanted to. During THIS stay, that was not the case at all. Reservations had to be made and the only food that was "sitting out" on the tables were cereal, fruit, yogurt and coffee. There were jellies there too, but no muffins or breads. Upon looking at the breakfast menu, we discovered that we were going to be nickeled & dimed (an extra $5) for breakfast meats (sausage, bacon, etc.) if it didn't come with the particular meal we ordered. We couldn't believe our eyes, but we ordered the meats anyway. An HOUR later we finally got our meals. They were very marginal, at best. Another issue is the parking... it is RIDICULOUS to say the least, but the owner can't help it. Searching for a parking space is quite a job in itself, so the owner has paid for a few parking spaces in a "private" lot (shared with lots of other businesses) about 5 blocks away. So, if you park there, you have to walk approximately 10 blocks to go get your vehicle and put it back as well. To add insult to injury, the owner of the B&B charges you $15 A DAY if you decide to use that parking lot!!!! On top of the $5 for breakfast "extras" that normally come with a typical breakfast meal, and the $15 daily charge for "lot" parking, the B&B also charges you $10 a day for maid services!!! Are you kidding me??!! Maid services (bed making and towel replenishing) were standard services at hotels the last time I checked. On the B&B website it states that there is a "no tipping" policy and that the $10 daily maid service fee was the reason - isn't tipping based on a job well done by the maids??? I can assure you that the wouldn't have gotten tipped from us with having dead bugs, filthy window ledges, dirty carpets and loose toilets in our pricey room. Needless to say we will not return to this B&B - it's a shame that the previous owners sold it!!

• Stayed August 2012, traveled with family
innonmainmanasquan, Owner at Atlantis Inn Luxury B&B, responded to this review, August 19, 2012
This review sounds alarming, but I am happy to report to readers that we get countless compliments on the Inn that never make it to TripAdvisor.

This guest stayed at our Villa Milano, a 1 BR apartment that is occupied almost 100% this season. Small families who stay up to a week at a time love the size and accessibility of this ground floor Villa. It is also occupied by more persons compared to the other suites of the Inn with unfortunate damage to the bathroom by the previous occupants, specifically to the toilet and faucets, as reported by the reviewer. Both needed MINOR adjustments, all completed within 20-30 minutes from her reporting to us. We do apologize for the inconvenience. The kitchen faucet part was on order, and as of this writing-received and repaired. Reviewer's husband did recognize that it was operable with a simple push-down trick. It struck me, at the time, as strange that the reviewer was almost disappointed that I fixed the bathroom issues.

We thank reviewer for her parents' patronage of the Inn and they did let me know of their great satisfaction with their stay. In the case of the reviewer, our effort to accommodate an early 11 am check-in (normal checkin is 2 pm) was our undoing - that is, we had no time to shampoo the carpet, which we perform at every pre-arrival since these ground floor apartments are more susceptible to street dirt and stains.

On the subject of parking fees and resort fees, these are clearly explained in the confirmation and pre-arrival emails. We subsidize overnight parking. It is totally up to the customer to avail of this. We iclearly represent parking as between 8th & 9th St on Atlantic Ave. The Inn is located on 6th and Atlantic. On the subject of Resort fee, we think this is reasonable.

Regarding breakfast, our apologies for the slow service as some 17 people sat at the same time, unusual by itself. Breakfast breads are brought to the table and so are juices, so that they are at proper temperatures. Reviewer may prefer buffet food, but I personally have never liked my eggs, buffet-style. For breakfast extras, we do charge for them as everyone does. We serve a lot of great breakfasts, and yes, the rave reviews we hear up front and close remain unpublicized.

Here's our guarantee, if a guest does not like what we prepare a la carte, they need not pay for it.
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 28, 2012

The place was nice,the service was horrible,parking is a disaster if you like walking four blocks then this is the place.Spent five days and never ever met the owners.This is a hotel not a bed and breakfast .and oh yea and if your elderly the stairs are freighting .Other than that we have nothing else to say except that we won't be going back.

• Stayed June 2012
innonmainmanasquan, Owner at Atlantis Inn Luxury B&B, responded to this review, July 29, 2012
I trust TripAdvisor will publish my response.

Reviewer claims staying five nights. In the 10 days preceding this review, no customer has stayed more than 4 days (except for the Villas). I can outright say that it is simply UNLIKELY not to encounter me within 2 days (if I take a day off). A recent TripAdvisor reviewer even said, "Innkeeper seemed to be everywhere." Perhaps, I met these guests and they didn't realize I was the owner? Nonetheless, staying at an Inn shouldn't be about the Innkeeper... it should be about the Stay.

The Reviewer gave us a rating of 4 bubbles, really quite good. But where did the poor service happen and why did reviewer not inform us so we can rectify swiftly during his stay? To condemn us with a "poor service" comment is quite, if without detail, or notification to us while he was in-house.

Next...the parking issue has been beaten to death in the last year. We make clear - guests can SEARCH for street parking, or have the comfort of our Municipal parking which we subsidize for our guests. Unfortunately, the municipal lot can't be at our doorstep, but it sure beats street parking in OC as a sport.

Finally, many guests appreciate the charm of a classic circular 112-year old staircase (the rest of this Grand Victorian is barely 8 years old). We assist guests with luggage, humongous or not. If the circular is hard on the feeble, we have straightforward stairs as well. Just ask us, please.
West Point, Pennsylvania
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 24, 2012

I've stayed in numerous B&B's over the years, from Martha's Vineyard to Sonoma, Ca and including another in OC, NJ - and this one is by far one of the nicest ones that I've been to. I have been looking at The Atlantis for a few years, and finally had the opportunity to try it, and I'm so glad that we did. The overall inn is beautiful and well-appointed. Our room was a nice size, not overly big, but certainly enough room for the two of us, and we loved the huge jacuzzi tub and separate shower. The large bed was very comfortable and seemed almost decadent. We enjoyed a cool breeze while sharing a bottle of wine on the roof deck late at nite. And breakfast was wonderful - the fresh fruit, omelet and french toast were mouth-watering! Val certainbly made us feel welcome and even remembered who we were when we called again a few weeks later to make a reservation to stay again this summer. Looking forward to going back again!

Room Tip: The Versailles Suite has a large, comfortable bed, enormous jacuzzi tub and separate shower, and eas...
  • Stayed July 2012, traveled with friends
innonmainmanasquan, Owner at Atlantis Inn Luxury B&B, responded to this review, July 26, 2012
Than you for your review and compliments.

Been to Atlantis Inn Luxury B&B? Share your experiences!