“Awesome!” 5 of 5 stars

Website
Menu
Improve this listing
Ranked #25 of 184 Restaurants in Ocean City
Good for: Families with children, Romance, Doing business, Special occasions, Entertaining clients
Dining options: Breakfast/Brunch, Lunch, Dinner, Reservations, Takeout
Description: Chef Herb Allwood and his wife Pamela Womble opened 701 mosaic in August 2008 to present an exciting array of old and new world flavors and showcase their passion for Caribbean and Mediterranean cuisine. They have successfully created an award-winning warm and welcoming bistro in what was once an abandoned pizza parlor in Ocean City’s North End. The team also received a 2008 Beautification Award from the City of Ocean City for their renovation of their property.
Philadelphia, Pennsylvania
“Awesome!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 16, 2010

You must try this place - the jerk chicken was just like I had in Jamaica. Service was excellent. It is a small cosy place.

• 4 of 5 stars Atmosphere

Minneapolis, Minnesota
“Great Find for Caribbean Food in Ocean City”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 3, 2010

The restaurant is very quaint, clean, and service and owner are very friendly. Mosaic salad was delicious - HUGE - could be split easily by two people. Jerk Shrimp appetizer was also delicious - two skewers, lots of shrimp. Main courses we tried the Jerk Chicken, Coconut Shrimp, and Crab Cakes. Jerk Chicken was amazing - just like being in Jamaica! Portion was very large - seemed like half a chicken. Coconut shrimp was excellent - 8 large shrimps in a wonderful coating. Crab cake had good flavor, good taste, but would have liked less filler and more lump crab. Other diners had some of the pasta dishes and they looked wonderful also. Definitely a place to go for a great dinner in Ocean City - open year round.

• 5 of 5 stars Atmosphere
Parkland, Florida
“Great Caribbean Food in Ocean City!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 27, 2010

My family likes vacationing each summer in Ocean City, but we get tired of boardwalk pizza and takeout real quickly. We discovered 701 Mosaic on this recent trip however and were delighted. My wife ordered a Jerk Chicken Salad and I had the Jerk Chicken Dinner with an appetizer of Shrimp Skewers. My young daughter selected the pasta dish from the kids menu which was enjoyed. All of the food was authentic, tasty, and prepared with care. And HOT! My only advice is to book a reservation or come early -- we came in at 6 PM and were served quickly...by 7 PM there was a line out the door. And this was on a Tuesday Night?!? Oh, one other advice, make sure you try the homemade Ginger Beer. They'll happily give you a free sample. The word is out apparently -- this is a terrific find in Ocean City.

• 5 of 5 stars Atmosphere
Philadelphia
“Great Restaurant”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 2, 2010

We visited 701 Mosaic in early May, 2010 and we really loved our meal. The homemade ginger beer was the best I ever tasted and the Mosaic salad was HUGE (could easily be a full salad for 2) and one of the best salads I have ever eaten (salad greens with candied pecans, Granny Smith apples, goat cheese and dried cranberries in a balsamic vinaigrette). My hubby got the Fish Escovitz which was just delectable (marinated fish topped with sauteed veggies) and I ordered the coconut fish which was very crispy and tasty. Portions were generous, food was very fresh, and service was very warm and friendly (although they appeared to be understaffed during our visit and accordingly, a bit overwhelmed and unable to be attentive as they should have been). Appetizers and salads average $5 - $10, entrees range $14 - $30 with most being in the upper teens - $23. We were too stuffed to order dessert. We really enjoyed our meal and will definitely return.

• 3 of 5 stars Atmosphere
Philadelphia, PA
“Just What Ocean City Needs!”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 22, 2010

I grew up in Ocean City, and have since lived in a variety of places - the most recent being Philadelphia. Since leaving, but going back on the weekends to visit family in the summer, my biggest complaint about Ocean City has been the lack of food options. Oh, don't get me wrong, the city has plenty of places to eat, there just didn't seem to be much in the way of cultural variety. Well just this past weekend, the weather warmed up, and my wife and I headed out of the city. During a family get-together my sister recommended we try the Caribbean-inspired Mosaic since I wanted something different. I knew I wanted jerk chicken, but was prepared to be underwhelmed. (I am a bit of a self-described foodie.) I expected over-spiced dry chicken, but what I got was perfectly cooked chicken with the right amount of heat , well rounded with other herbs and spices. The accompanying fried plantains and rice with black-eyed peas were the perfect sides. Delicious! Coincidently, my wife and I have been struggling with choosing a place for our follow-up reception: Philadelphia for the food choices, or OC to make it easier on family. Having Mosaic in OC makes the decision easy. In fact, we went back after our lunch to talk with the owner about catering the event. They were closed and the door was locked, but she came out to chat with us (I have been waived away at many locked restaurant doors!). Mosaic is a refreshing alternative for OC - I only wish I knew they existed last summer!