“Great location!” 4 of 5 stars

2.5 of 5 Hotel   |   800 - 814 Atlantic Ave, Ocean City, NJ 08226   |
Ranked #7 of 34 hotels in Ocean City
“Great location!”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 21, 2012 via mobile

Stayed here for two nights. Close to beach, boardwalk and downtown OC. Instead of holding a cash deposit for beach tags they just charge your card if you don't return them...I love this idea because other hotels hold $25 per beach tag, I want my cash handy.

Pool area is nice with lots of seating and there are chairs outside of each room.

My only complaints/suggestions to management are leave the pool open later; OC pools all seem to close do early, some as early as 6 pm. 10 or 11 pm would be so much nicer.

Secondly, the room I had was very dark as in navy walls, carpet and dark bedspread. I understand the reason for having dark carpet but the wallpaper and bedspread could easily be a lighter, neutral or beach themed color.

Overall I'd stay here again.

• Stayed August 2012

102 people have reviewed this hotel

Business
Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (24)
PA
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 14, 2012

This centrally located (one block from the boardwalk) motel has been a staple in Ocean City for decades. Despite its age, however, it's well maintained. Even though the dated architecture cannot be changed, the exterior looks good with management obviously making sure it stays refreshed. The same can be said of the room we occupied - the furnishings appeared relatively new with fresh draperies and paint and wallcoverings. Special kudos to housekeeping for keeping the room very clean with no dust bunnies or other obvious areas of neglect.

But in the same way one cannot expect lots of closet space in old homes, one cannot expect older motels to have all the space of newer ones. The bathroom/shower is extremely small. The microwave sits on the vanity and the small refrig. below it while your clothes hang right next to it. While in very good shape, the furnishings are fairly standard if not somewhat outdated by AAA standards - no armoire with TV as AAA prefers but instead it's mounted on the wall. Suppose these issues are reflective of limited space. Beds were comfy but you cannot run the A/C fan continuously so you are subject to the on-off cycling of the A/C air conditioner all night.

The Good, Bad & the Ugly:

1. Charging for ice (25 cents) is awful; free ice is standard nowadays;
2. Parking is limited and, to say the least, not ideal. You must leave your car keys at the front desk if you park behind someone else;
3. The overall decorating style of the motel is a personal choice but to me appears to be more circa 1970's;
4. Lot of stations on TV;
5. Pool is clean and in great shape - enjoyed by all;
6. Room service is typically not available at most motels but it is here - great idea;
7. Game room available but we didn't try it out;
8. Family friendly - kids everywhere;
9. No continental breakfast - restaurant on-site but did not use.

So . . . . maybe not a slice of heaven in this reviewer's mind but certainly clean, centrally located accommodations. Just don't expect the space and upgraded furniture, fixtures and decor you might see in a Hampton Inn or Hilton Garden Inn, for example. Overall rating is very good vs. average due to its cleanliness.

• Stayed August 2012, traveled with family
Houston, Texas
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 29, 2012

When I called (in July) they had availability for just one night during the weekend. I didn't have much luck with other hotels so we booked it and I hoped it would be a good place.
We had a great stay! The rooms and bathroom were clean. The staff was very helpful - we needed an extra blanket and towels and they responded immediately. They let us keep our car parked for the rest of the day even after we had checked out at noon. Infact, it was 12:30 by the time we checked out and they were fine with that.
My only complaint is that you can hear a lot of outside noise in the room. There were people talking in the neigboring balcony (not loudly, just a normal conversation) and I could hear everything. Since it was midnight and the kids were trying to sleep, it was a little annoying. Just around 7am, I woke up to the noise of buses and more talking. The motel is surrounded by streets (no special view here), so it gets noisy. But since it was just one night, it's something we could shrug off. I might look for a quieter place (at least at night) with the kids if we were to stay for a few days. The best part - location! Once we parked, we didn't need to drive till we left OC. For a one night stay, I would not hesitate to go back to The Forum.

Room Tip: Park in the overflow parking lot accross from the motel. Parking spaces are wider! The parking space...
  • Stayed July 2012, traveled with family
Skippank, PA
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 10, 2012

This year when I called the Forum in early spring to make summer vacation reservations again, I didn't get five words out of my mouth before the woman who answered the phone recognized my voice and greeted me with another big hello and welcome to the Forum and asked me how the kids and wife were doing. The Forum is family! We've been visiting the Forum for many years now and wouldn't think of staying anywhere else. To our family, OCNJ & the Forum are slices of heaven.....comfortable, clean, friendly, easy, great location, etc., etc. We seem to vacation with the same families year after year....a true indication that we are not the only Forum fans!

Room Tip: Pool side rooms on any floor best.
  • Stayed July 2012, traveled with family
Washington DC, District of Columbia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 9, 2012 via mobile

We decided late to take a trip and found the Forum for an overnight. The reception and management were super friendly! They gave us beach tags even though we were only overnight. The rooms are real clean. New TV. Clean tub. Don't forget, it's the shore, not a lot of modern amenities but you get location. I recommend the Forum.

• Stayed July 2012
philadelphia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 30, 2012

I have never written a review on here but admit I always book vacations based on tripadvisor reviews so I definately wanted to write one about this wonderful little place. Every year we do a girls week away a few nights down the shore....girls week meaning me, mom, and my daughter...we usually go to wildwood but I wanted to try OC this year and booked the Forum after doing my research and was even more pleased then I even thought I would be just a great place...rooms are a nice size, big flat screen tvs, my daughter loved the pool...and most of all I have stayed all over everywhere in some of the nicest of places at times and this place was the cleanest I have ever stayed in....great location and the breakfast in the little restaurant was a perfect touch too....we will be back again..already looking into going back down a couple nights before the summer is over!

• Stayed June 2012, traveled with family
Upper Darby, PA
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 12, 2012

I stayed here this past weekend, 6/8/12-6/11/12 and it was an excellent getaway trip with my significant other . He and I really enjoyed ourselves. The staff was very friendly and welcoming upon our arrival. We didn't have to wait to check-in because our room just happen to be ready while we were checking in. Our room (307) was very clean (Thank you Urias :) ) and spacious which was close to the pool but nestled in an area that was very quiet. The king size bed was very comfortable and the nice size flat screen television was a plus. We had a problem with our front door the second day there but maintenance fixed the problem immediately. Also, the boardwalk is a short block away which was very convenient for us.The Forum Motor Inn is a home away from home and I really would like to thank the staff again for making ourweekend a memorable one. I look forward to returning and referring family members and friends to stay here.

Room Tip: If you're a couple looking for a room that is quiet but you also want to be able to sit outside...
  • Stayed June 2012, traveled as a couple

Been to Forum Motor Inn? Share your experiences!