“Great location; average motel” 3 of 5 stars

Ocean Front Motel
2.0 of 5 Motel   |   1417 Ocean Ave., Ocean City, NJ 08226   |
Ranked #8 of 34 Hotels in Ocean City
Stratford, New Jersey
“Great location; average motel”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed September 13, 2012

First, be aware of the stairs. The first floor rooms are above the parking courtyard... 14 quite steep and wide stairs to get there. While the boardwalk is tantalizingly close to those first floor rooms, to get there you have to walk down the 14 stairs, across the parking lot, then up 4 stairs to the boardwalk.
I thought the beds were about average; linens and towels are of the thinnest motel type; on the plus side, the tv in our room was a new flatscreen, and was fully loaded with cable channels. Forget the continental breakfast.. the office doesn't open til 8:00 AM, and from what I could see, it was purely coffee and donuts. As others have said, it is right on the quiet end of the boardwalk. The rug was literally threadbare, but clean. The AC was noisy.. basically your average motel room. I would stay again, if the price was right.

• Stayed September 2012, traveled with family

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (68)
Williamsport, PA
3 of 5 stars Reviewed September 10, 2012

My mother and I have stayed here a couple of times over the past few years, and when compared to other places on boardwalk, this is still one of the best choices. The prices and rooms are decent. The location of being right on the boardwalk is great, and the service is good. For the second time, we got a free "upgrade" upon check in since some of the nicer rooms where vacant. Yes, parking is still an issue as there are more rooms then parking spaces, but it’s usually not too bad. As others have said, there are several improvements that could be made here. Some of the carpets like in the stairwell and halls need replaced, some of the bathtubs are stained, the small CRT televisions are wearing out, and the free unsecured WiFi signal doesn't reach past the deck closest to the office. (don't bother trying to get online inside your room, you'll just end up with a headache unless your phone has a mobile hotspot feature) A lot these problems could be improved or fixed very easily. (ex: the WiFi could be secured, and a couple of range extenders could be installed to improve signal) However, even with some inconveniences here and there, its still a good value and we’ve never had any major issues. Next time we go to Ocean City, we'll still probably choose to stay here again.

• Stayed September 2012, traveled with family
Philadelphia, Pennsylvania
2 of 5 stars Reviewed September 8, 2012

I decided to take my family on a short vacation before school started and read all the good reviews for the hotel and decided to stay here. Big mistake! from the minute we drove in the parking lot it was a unpleasant experience, when you read the parking is bad that's an understatement! You're afraid to leave the room because you may not find a place when you return and even if you do you'l have to squeeze your car into place. And, the beds are like sleeping on concrete! And, one night our toilet was clogged and we went to find the manager and he told us to go look for plunger somewhere in the stairwell!! I thought they were supposed to fix a problem not us!!! Needless to say that will be my last time to stay at the hotel.

Wallingford, Pennsylvania
3 of 5 stars Reviewed September 4, 2012

This motel was right on the beach. It was great to be that close to the beach because I had little kids with me. I liked the fact that it was very quiet, yet not too far from all the action on the boardwalk. The rooms were very clean and there was maid service every day. The room I had was just 2 double beds and is very small. It is outdated and does need renovations. The refrigerator was much bigger than I expected. It was great to be able to bring food for lunches and just walk back to the room quickly from the beach to eat. John was really nice and genuinely cared that we have a pleasant experience...I did!! The parking is tight, but I was thankful to have parking. It made it a lot easier bringing luggage in and out. This place is great if your not concerned about having a fancy room. It's reasonably priced and I will stay here again.

Bensalem, Pennsylvania
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 3, 2012

Since my vacation included only myself and my young daughter my main concern was cleanliness and safety. I wasn't disappointed on either account. The beds were comfortable and the bed spreads appeared to be new. The mattresses and box springs were wrapped with plastic protectors which helped put my mind at ease about bringing home any unwanted critters. I confess, I actually lifted the mattress to check and everything was perfect. Daily maid service was a nice touch to a long day at the beach. Rooms were kept clean and beds made by the time we returned every day. The location was quiet but still close enough to walk to everything. The outside walkways, balconies, and stairwells were well lit. The management and staff were very friendly and accomodating and the pricing fit within my budget. If it's luxury you're looking for maybe try The Flanders? If it's clean, great location and prices then the Ocean Front Motel is for you. We will definitely be back.

Room Tip: My room was a standard room which is for the more budget minded. However, stepping out my door ever...
Parsippany, New Jersey
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 2, 2012

If you are looking for an acceptable, reasonable priced place to sleep while visiting OC, this is the place. If money is not an object, then you can do better.

Pros: location, price, cleanliness, service.

Cons: building is in serious need of renovations (cracked tiles, holes punched in bathroom door, stuff like that...to be fair though, it was just cosmetic stuff, room did appear clean. Parking is free but spaces are VERY small. So much that I was afraid to leave because I didn't know if I'd be able to fit into whatever spot was left when I came back and I drive a Toyota Rav4. If you drive a Hummer type car, don't even think about trying to fit it in the lot.

South Jersey
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 31, 2012

The rooms were neat and clean - dated, but very clean. John was most accommodating and went out of his way to be helpful. Jason (the manager) was also very friendly and courteous. The location is the best for the beach and the boardwalk. It's quiet, but still close to everything. It's a great value for the money and I'm glad I found this place. I'll definitely be staying here again.

• Stayed August 2012, traveled with family

Been to Ocean Front Motel? Share your experiences!