“Deposit money for beach tags "missing"” 2 of 5 stars
Review of Blue Water Inn

You added Blue Water Inn to your Saves list
Blue Water Inn
2.0 of 5 Hotel   |   617 E Eighth St, Ocean City, NJ 08226 (Formerly Sandaway Hotel)   |
Ranked #28 of 34 Hotels in Ocean City
West Chester, Pennsylvania
“Deposit money for beach tags "missing"”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed September 4, 2012

My boyfriend and I stayed here based off of their link thru Ocean City's Website... Which made the place look pretty nice...Let me just tell you that you shouldn't always believe what you see in pictures... We stayed for 5 days, and it was all I could do to manage to sleep in our room... You hear everything! People upstairs walking around, jumping off beds, who knows... Our room was very small~ pretty much a bed, a dresser, mirror and mini fridge... I think My 10x12 pop up tent is bigger then this room was... and our bathroom was almost bigger then the room itself, lol...Previous reviews are correct, they do have kids running the place...We did manage to get a good parking spot, and just didn't move the car the whole time for fear of having no other place to park, without having to pay to park on the street. Upon checking out, I was told that their was a problem with the deposits we left for our beach tags- Our "cash deposits".... The kid said they went missing...Missing?!?! are you kidding me, first you tell us that you supply "free beach tags" yet you charge everyone a deposit for them...I was told they would refund our deposit money with a check in the mail.... Yet, they are going to be closed this whole week?? I don't really have high hopes on actually receiving that money back... But, you bet I will be calling and calling If I don't! I guess i should have read these reviews before booking this place- NEVER AGAIN!

• Stayed August 2012, traveled as a couple
OceanAveHotels, Owner at Blue Water Inn, responded to this review, April 23, 2013
As a 100 plus year old hotel, we have rooms of varying sizes all with private baths. Several of our rooms are on the smaller side and you obviously booked one of them. We are sorry that you did not enjoy your stay. We have removed our smaller rooms from our online booking system and have upgraded most of our beds to new King, Queen and Full beds. Hopefully the free parking, breakfast and beach tags helped make your stay somewhat enjoyable.

Business
Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (8)
Harleysville, Pennsylvania
1 of 5 stars Reviewed August 26, 2012

This place was disgusting. Do not stay here. During our very short stay we also talked with other guests who said the same. The rooms were so dirty. The showers were just thrown into a tiny room they called a bathroom. DIRTY DIRTY DIRTY!! Toilets were stained or just not cleaned; the floor in the bathroom had hair all over it and looked like they were never mopped. We used their towels to cover the floors. I made sure our shoes were on at all times. I'm glad I brought a sleeping bag for my older son to sleep in since the blankets were stained and gross. The door for the room didn't even fit correctly, there was a large open gap at the top. When I went to bring the mini blinds down they fell on me and found they didn't go down all the way. The reviews you see on here for this hotel tells it all. Very bad, check out some of the pic's.

• Stayed August 2012, traveled with family
Thanks for your comments. With over 4,000 visitors each season we do occasionally miss some things. The owner's cell phone number is clearly posted by the front desk and it would have been more helpful if you had voiced your displeasure directly to us so we could have taken immediate action. 2013 Improvements include: upgraded bedding and new management with an emphasis on cleanliness. We will try to do a better job in the future.
Vienna, Austria
1 of 5 stars Reviewed August 25, 2012

I've never been so led astray by TripAdvisor. Don't believe the first reviews--they must be plants by the owners. This is a flophouse masquerading as an inn to steal your money and make your vacation horrible. We paid over $200 for a double room--two tiny disgusting attached rooms with dirty rugs, stained polyester bed covers, mattresses covered in a hard plastic covering (one plus--no bed bugs!!), and tiny dirty bathrooms with a black-mold-stained miniscule shower stall. There's no cleaning service, frozen waffles for breakfast, and ridiculous front stairs that are dangerous for kids, elderly and anyone trying to carry in luggage. I find it hard to believe this hotel passes basic health standards nor meets hotel codes. We will be contacting the Ocean City Better Business Bureau to investigate.

2 of 5 stars Reviewed August 23, 2012

Stayed here as a last minute option and was severly disappointed. bathrooms that reminded me of my college dorms in the 80's; no maid service, yet a tip envelope on mirrors; unhelpful front desk; not enough tp in room and noone at the front desk to give me replace; can hear all the noise from the hallways because doors dont close all the way and have inch gap from floor. say you get a free beach pass but need a $20 cash deposit to get it; steep stairs that meant my elderly mother went up and down once a day..overall I cant beleive they charge what they do..must be why you have to pay 1/2 upfront and rest when you check in...it means that you have no option to check out and getoney back.

• Stayed August 2012
Your stay at the Blue Water Inn includes daily maid service, free parking, as available, free breakfast, use of beach tags (2 per room with cash deposit) swimming pool, changing rooms before and after your stay, in room refrigerators and upgraded bedding for 2013. Additional toiletries are available 24/7 in a dresser in the lobby next to the doorbell to the manager's apartment and the sign containing the owner's cell phone number. Built in the late 1800's, the charm of the old Inn does not include elevators.
King of Prussia, Pennsylvania
1 of 5 stars Reviewed August 22, 2012

The most disgusting, dirty, dingy hotel I have ever stayed at!!!!! The quote "you get what you pay for" is most fitting for this place. The prices are reasonable but sooooo not worth the nasty, filthy rooms and poor service you will experience here. Urine or some yellow liquid on the walls, mold and stains on shower floor (showered with flip flops on), moldy, smelly & damp carpets, unknown hairs all over bathroom. Zero water pressure in the toilet with no plunger to be found. No trash can in room or bathroom. Went to young man in office who was yawning like I woke him up to ask for a trash can and plunger multiple times and never recieved them. Finally had to snag the one in the public bathroom in lobby. The maid does nothing but give you a few towels...no cleaning yet they have the nerve to put a tip envelope in the room. You will feel the need to shower at home multiple times to escape the germy feeling you leave that place with. Office closes at 8PM and forget calling the # they leave....zero service from them as well. Limited parking is an understatement.....we got a $30 tix listening to uneducated staff on where to park because their lot is a joke. Once again, fell on deaf ears. The "free" breakfast...a joke. Frozen eggos and stale bagels. Loud and noisy, door slamming all hours of the night! Pool is smaller than at someone's home.You will be rewarded for your grimey stay with a stale box of water taffy on your way out which would have ended up in the trash can if I could have found one there. I never wrote a review before but felt it my obligation to warn anyone not to ruin their precious vacation time and hard earned money on this armpit of Ocean City. Avoid at all costs!! :(

Room Tip: Anywhere but here!!!
  • Stayed August 2012, traveled as a couple
New Jersey
1 of 5 stars Reviewed August 17, 2012

My family was staying in Ocean City and this was a last minute decision to go on vacation. I found this hotel and decided to book it because it was reasonably priced. Now I know why! It was filthy and very outdated. The shower is only about 2 1/2 feet wide, so if you're a big person, you will NOT fit. I booked for 5 nights and only got 2 nights of rest due to the LOUD and INCONSIDERATE other people that stayed there. When I told the front desk {which is only there from 8 a.m. to 8 p.m.} she said she would talk to the people above us, but that didn't help the fact that I didn't get any rest! The last night there people were having a party down the hall and was very loud, drinking and using profanity {I had my 12 year old with me}, I had had ENOUGH!!! I called the number that they leave on the counter and he did take care of the situation, BUT it didn't solve the fact that it just was NOT a relaxing vacation at all. For what I paid for the room I expected a little peace and quiet and just did not get it here!! BEWARE and please see the pics I posted.

• Stayed August 2012, traveled with family
Our century old hotel does have a variety of room sizes and they are priced accordingly. We have removed the online booking capability for our smaller rooms as they tend to generate most of the negative comments from the traveling public. These smaller rooms will be available for walk in guests only.

Thanks for your comments.
3 of 5 stars Reviewed August 14, 2012

Our family took a last minute weekend vacation with friends and didn't want to spend too much on hotel. We read the reviews and figured this place should do the job - which was we just needed somewhere to sleep after long days at the beach/boardwalk etc The location is awesome! Two blocks from the beach, entrance to the water park, rides boardwalk and more. That's the only reason I'm rating it a three. From the front door to the bathroom this place needs to be cleaned (SCRUBBED) and really needs an upgrade. The shower was so disgusting that we wore flip flops to go in and I didn't even allow my kids to go in. The carpets are old and moldy. They should invest in some new bedding and some Clorox for cleaning. The front door is white but is so dirty from hands that it looks black - I didn't even want to touch it. I asked in the morning (around 9am) what time the rooms usually get cleanethanks they said they were just starting - we got back to our room around 4-5 and nothing had been done. We stayed 2 nights and our room never got cleaned - no change of sheets just towels left. This place has potential because of its location but I wouldn't want to stay again.

• Stayed August 2012