“Great location, right in the middle of everything!” 5 of 5 stars
Review of Homestead Beach Hotel

Save Saved
You added Homestead Beach Hotel to your Saves list
Homestead Beach Hotel
2.0 of 5 Hotel   |   805 E. 8th Street, Between beach & Atlantic Ave, Ocean City, NJ 08226   |
Ranked #17 of 34 hotels in Ocean City
Brigantine, New Jersey
“Great location, right in the middle of everything!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 25, 2012

. This was a wonderful place to stay. First you have to understand that these are privately owned units. Our unit although small had a nice view of the boardwalk and some of the ocean. It was clean and nicely appointed. Bathroom was small as was the entire unit. This is an older building so things were not as big back then.

The location can't be beat! we parked the car on the street a couple blocks away, they don't offer parking, and walked everywhere the rest of the week. Spadafora's, The Sindia and several other good restaurants are just a few blocks away.

I was surprised by one thing… How quite it was the whole time we were there. I thought with it being in the middle of everything and so close to the boardwalk we would get a lot of noise. But no real noise to speak of.

• Stayed September 2012, traveled as a couple

41 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (7)
Easton, Pennsylvania
1 of 5 stars Reviewed July 25, 2012

This place is the gateway to hell. I made reservations with my family. It is certainly not a family hotel. It would be much safer to sleep on the beach or under the boardwalk. We were very disappointed because the website is deceiving. Be warned.

• Stayed August 2011, traveled with family
Philadelphia, Pennsylvania
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 4, 2011

Myself and a friend stayed for a weekend and rented from the landlord Bill Mich. We were surprised to see such a negative comment about him - we thought he was nice and went out of his way to make sure we had everything we needed as he said he was a new owner in this hotel.

The room was nice, clean and comfortable. He gave us a tour of the hotel and even gave us some history on the place. He also gave us some good advice about where to go for dinner in the area and different tourist stops to make.

We also thought that the people at the desk were friendly as well, and we hope to rent from them and Mr. Mich again in the future.

• Stayed April 2011, traveled with friends
Glassboro,NJ
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 22, 2011

As others have mentioned, these units are individually owned. I found this rental on vrbo.com and contacted the owner for reservations, making payments through paypal. Payment and return of deposit went smoothly. This is an efficiency rental,not a full service hotel.

The apartment is small and nicely decorated, as pictured. A cozy space for 1 or 2 people. Kept the futon bed open and moved the coffee table against the wall, next to the end table. Plenty of room to move around. Two closets,one average size and one narrow. The kind of closets common in old buildings. A person's wardrobe was not as extensive back in the old days lol! There is not a storage cabinet/dresser with drawers. I was able to hang my wardrobe,shoes etc.,hide my suitcase,beach chair,boogie board,umbrella and cooler in the closets. Bring your own hangers. There are no heavy drapes to block the daylight. I personally like this as I am an early riser. If you like to sleep in, bring your eye mask.

The futon is firm and a bit lumpy....just like a futon :) 2 firm pillows are provided. Bring your own sheets and blankets.

The refrigerator is not a tiny cube, a bit larger. Room for beverages and other basics. If you plan to cook rather than just heat up leftovers, bring your own knife and cutting board. Plates, pots and pans and some utensils provided. Not a fully equipped kitchen. Bring your own sponge/cloth for clean up.

Small wall mounted TV across from bed/couch.

Water pressure in shower was good. Bring your own towels,soap and toilet paper. Cute fish tiles in the bathroom!

You can open all the windows! Window in the bathroom too. I slept with the windows open during a heat wave! Nice sea breeze and I swear I could hear the ocean. I believe you could get good cross breezes when the window AC unit is removed off season.

Parking is not available at the hotel. There is a lot next door but I believe it is $25 overnight. I had no problem finding a spot 2 blocks away on Wesley Ave, which is not metered.

Amenities not mentioned in the listing:

Ceiling fan
2 bar stools under kitchen counter...pub table could seat 4
coin laundry in building
ice machine in building(free)
bike racks
outside shower

Restaurants on Asbury Ave. and the boardwalk.
Strand movie theater 1 block away for rainy days.
There is a massage/spa place right next door www.compassmassage.com
A fitness and yoga studio a few blocks away www.thetrainingroomofoc.com Yoga on the beach on Wednesday and Friday!
Music Pier between 8th&9th at the boardwalk.....either side of the music pier is also a good place to park your beach chair if you like access to a public restroom.
Bike rental on the corner of 8th&Atlantic...$6 an hour-$15 a day
*If you rent a bike, ride onto the boardwalk at 8th and make a right. Continue riding past 13th street where the boardwalk narrows to about 6 feet across. In the morning, bikers,joggers and meandering walkers vie for space along with zig zagging children on bikes and on foot. Handlebars nearly grazing....this is what a daily commute must be like in China. If you have the nerve(and the balance) to take your eyes off what is in front of you, look to your right and gaze upon the beautiful homes and gardens of the Gold Coast of OC. Gardens that you might be willing to pay to see.*

Everything you need is within walking distance. Oh, Ocean City is a dry town and BYO is not allowed at restaurants. There are liquor stores in Somers Point,right before you cross the bridge to OC....should you care to imbibe.

I highly recommend this place! Loved it!

Room Tip: Photo of building layout shows which rooms have full or partial ocean view.
  • Stayed July 2011, traveled solo
Gibbstown, New Jersey
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 11, 2011

My girlfriend and I had a great time at the Homestead this past weekend. I was calling around last week to try and find a hotel in Ocean City that was close to the action and reasonably priced. After having about 10 hotels tell me that they have a 2-night minimum stay I talked to Beth at the Homestead. She told me no problem and the room rate was the lowest I could find. She let us check-in 2 hours early on Saturday. The room was small, but very nicely decorated and equipped with a refrigerator, stove, microwave, coffee maker, flat-screen tv and a brand-new bathroom. The air conditioner made the room nice and cool and the ceiling fan was also nice. The room was very clean and well stocked with extra towels and wash cloths. We even found two season beach tags hanging in the closet for us to use. The hotel is a one block walk to the boardwalk and is conveniently right near a Mack and Manco's pizza. We already are trying to make plans to return at the end of August!

• Stayed July 2011, traveled as a couple
delco,pa
3 of 5 stars Reviewed July 9, 2011

I stayed here in 2007 with my girlfriend.I remember it well..
We ordered a queen bed. When we arrived. although the room was ok, the bed was not. it was a futon type bed. with only a 3 inch mattress with no cushion.
I sat it in. I have intermittent back problems and I just knew it wasn't for us.When i laid in it,it was so hard( worse than sleeping on a hard floor).
We immediately went down to complain- stating that we wanted a regular bed with a mattress and box spring .The bathroom wasn't upgraded and missing a bulb.(See PHOTO)
but it was ok( floor and tub were NOT exactly spotless but not filthy either.. windows were a little dirty though. couldn't see out of them very well The room kind of smelled a little too.

On the plus side,we had TV with DVD player in it.. which was nice... the other bed we got was fine. nice bed frame and nice furniture..

I don't think it was cheap but not really expensive either..Room came with a fridge that worked fine..Hotel is close to the beach ....but not on it.

If I had no other choice,I might stay here again but I really wouldn't recommend it after they switched our room like that.Still ...it could have been worse...

• Stayed August 2010, traveled as a couple
NYC
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 5, 2011

Beth, the front desk attendant, was possibly the nicest person I have met on my travels in a long time. She let my girlfriend and I check in 2 hours early, and had a bag of chocolate kisses waiting in our room for us for our anniversary. She was such a doll.
The concept of this little hotel/condo is fantastic, our room was clean and neatly decorated, with contemporary furniture and comfy bed.
The kitchenette was awesome, we pan fried back to life some of our calamari and french fries and nuked some fish we had saved from the night before, saving us from the overly mobbed breakfast spots nearby.
water pressure and hot/cold consistency was way all over the place, but its a very old building so let it be known. This place had charm and character and was so much more classy than all the motels and vacation rental homes in the neighborhood. Also extremely close to 8th street, which is like the heart of Ocean City.

• Stayed July 2011, traveled as a couple

Been to Homestead Beach Hotel? Share your experiences!