“Fabulous Family Vacation” 5 of 5 stars

Ranked #13 of 34 hotels in Ocean City
suburban Philadelphia
“Fabulous Family Vacation”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 21, 2013

This is LONG overdue! We have stayed at Watson's for 5 summers now, usually in late August. (I believe I reviewed it when we first stayed...) We love the location (one block from the beach, barely, with a ramp right there onto the boardwalk next to Shriver's taffy.) The rooms are basically small apartments. The full kitchen is stocked with dishes and utensils and even little extras like diswasher detergent and ice cube trays. There is a large dining area and living room area. The sofa becomes a sofa bed (my one complaint - we have had two rooms where the sofa bed mattress seemed VERY ready to be replaced, although I was told they are gradually replacing these), and they have either a sleeper chair (like a mini sofa) or a cot (also rather uncomfortable, but it worked for the kids). There is a separate bedroom which was great, since we could have the TV or lights on and not disturb the kids after they went to bed. Everything is kept up well, (decor is rather pastel and a bit 80s beach, but it is the beach, after all!) and was always clean. Having the indoor pool is a great perk, since on an overcast day, or after getting chased off the beach by a short storm, you can relax in their pool or hot tub.

BUT, the most overdue part of the review goes to Rita at the front desk. My daughter realized one night this past summer as we were leaving the room for dinner that her (very small and white) stuffed puppy was missing. She was heartbroken; we tore the room apart and could not find it. We asked at the front desk if the sheets had been changed on the sofa bed, and sure enough, they had been that day. Rita - by herself - made calls to the head of cleaning to find out that those sheets were still in the laundry room and then spent her own time digging through PILES of sheets for us. Amazingly, when we came back from our evening out, she was waiting for us with "Spotty"... my daughter was speechless, but we thanked her profusely. It is so rare in this day and age to see those random acts of kindness... I think Rita is a fabulous example of Watson's excellent quality - not to mention a wonderful person!

• Stayed August 2012, traveled with family

152 people have reviewed this hotel

Business
Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (39)
Aliso Viejo, California, United States
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 12, 2013

My husband and I stayed at Watson's during the Christmas holiday and were very pleased with the large suite and the cleanliness of the entire facility. The staff was very pleasant and welcoming. We look forward to returning next year.

• Stayed December 2012, traveled as a couple
New Jersey
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 2, 2013

I stayed here with my wife and kids (aged 11 and 8) for Ocean City's "First Night" celebration on 12/30/2012 through 1/1/2013. The facilities were well managed and everything was very clean for our stay. Each unit is a private owned condominium with a full kitchen, fridge, dishwasher. Only thing missing was washer/dryer but they have a very nice facility for that on the 2nd floor. The rooms are cleaned daily just like a hotel and you needn't bring anything more than you'd bring to a Hyatt hotel. If you want to cook, the kitchen is fully stocked with hardware but unless the previous tenant left behind paper towels, condiments, etc. there is a Super Fresh about 1/4 mile away. Also the the town is totally dry so if you want booze, it's a 4 mile drive to Circle Liquors in Somers Point or Passion Vine in Somers Point will deliver booze to OC. The pool is clean and well maintained. Many of the rooms, including ours, had balconies that opened up to the indoor pool which was nice because we could sit on the balcony and watch our kids a few feet away in the pool. The hotel was sold out during our stay, but there was still plenty of parking. The location was perfect too. About 200 yards from the best part of the OC boardwalk which is 9th street where the music pier is located.

Our only complaint was the noise. Granted it was New Years weekend, but during the mornings and afternoons, there were many kids on the floor above us and they must have been running in the hallways. Frankly the parents above us should not have let their kids have the run of the house.

Overall a very nice place to stay near the beach!!

Room Tip: Ask to stay on 5th (top) floor so you don't have noise above you. In winter, ask to have a room...
  • Stayed January 2013, traveled with family
Romeo, Michigan
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 5, 2012

My wife and I stayed here a week before hurricane Sandy. The place was perfect for our needs. My youngest son was getting married so we had most of the family here in two rooms. The rooms were clean and spacious. It was nice to have the option of eating out or cooking in. The kitchen was well stocked for at least four people. The staff was always friendly and ready to help. The location is just far enough off the boardwalk to be convenient. The pool was a nice distraction for the kids.
I would certainly stay here again as long as "Sandy" did not do too much damage. I suspect the Lobby got flooded but the rooms probably stayed dry as they were on the second floor and up. Hopefully this gem weathered the storm!

• Stayed October 2012, traveled with family
Scotch Plains, New Jersey
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 17, 2012

Condos are large, updated, & clean. Lobby & hallways also updated.
Indoor heated pool and spa; laundry rooms & underground parking.
Walking distance to beach, boardwalk and restaurants. Staff are
friendly and helpful. Housekeeping is everyday. Would highly recommend you stay at these suites while vacationing in Ocean City, NJ

Room Tip: 4th & 5th floors are high enough to give you a good view facing Atlantic City skyline and ferri...
  • Stayed October 2012, traveled with family
Carroll Valley, Pennsylvania
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 2, 2012 via mobile

This is second year we have stayed at Watson Regency in September for a weekend during off-peak season. We used to rent houses in OCNJ for a week but decided to explore other areas for our week vacations and come to OCNJ for weekends or day-trips.

We have found the Watson to nicely fit the niche of the not acting like a hotel but more of the house rental experience.

The large two room suite ideal for family of four. Great indoor pool and hot tub. Can't beat the location as you are less then a block to boardwalk. (And the Ocean City Coffee Co. ) Appreciate they allow you to park pre check in so you can come early and hang out all day before going to room. If you are staying for more than 2 days the full kitchen will help save $ in food. But if you are like us and just in for the weekend we barely touch the kitchen as we are in OCNJ to eat our fav foods, not cook! As for cost it may be more than other places but you get the double room suites,full kitchen, and a nice facility.

Watson is great and we will be back next year.

• Stayed September 2012
Philadelphia, Pennsylvania
1 of 5 stars Reviewed September 16, 2012

I don't think I've ever written a bad hotel review before, but in my opinion Watsons Regency really deserves it.  We booked a suite starting the Sunday after Labor Day.  Since we usually fly for vacation and were saving money by driving we splurged and got the "deluxe suite" which meant we'd be on the top floor of the hotel.

We checked in Sunday afternoon and proceeded to our room (521).  It had a nice kitchen and living room.  The bedroom was sort of small and I was disappointed that there was one double bed since I was sharing with my sister and hoped for two doubles or a queen sized bed.  But the rooms were bright and decorated in a cute seashore decor.  As we started to unpack, I noticed some issues.  First, the blinds had some slats missing and they were just leaning against the wall next to the sliding door.  So it was obvious we'd be up with the sun every day.  I tried to lock the sliding door and it was very hard to get the lock to catch.  I pulled out a drawer and it just fell out in my hands because the runners were broken.  The same thing happened with the second one I tried.  I went into the bathroom and noticed that the complimentary shampoo bottles all looked like they had been used previously.  There was shampoo residue on every bottle.  Then I checked out the tub.  There was no stopper in the tub and there was standing water and a black/green substance around the drain which I imagine was mold or mildew.  I ran the water and it washed away a bit, but I had to wonder how long water had been pooled up there.  I washed my hands in the sink and the water just sat there, not draining.  We called the front desk and were told we could switch rooms since there wasn't a maintenance person in on Sunday.  The manager came to our room with two sets of keys and told me I could check two other rooms to see if they were better.  In my opinion, the manager should have done that, not me.  They had already deactivated the keys to our room so my sister had to stay in the first room with our things while I ran to the other rooms to see if they were better.

The first room I checked (515) had the same issue with mold/mildew in the drain.  Both that room and the first one I checked into had older fixtures in the bathroom and looked like they were in need of renovation.

The second room I looked at (504) was acceptable at least.  If I hadn't prepaid the first night around eight months ago, I would have been tempted to leave, but I really didn't want to try to figure out another place to stay at this point.

The bathroom in the second room had more up to date fixtures than the first two.  And nothing nasty living in the tub that I could see.  However, the second room wasn't without its problems either.  The sliding doors were difficult to lock and I didn't feel particularly secure leaving my things there.  The screens to the sliding doors were unattached and just leaning against the doors on the balcony.  There were eight lightbulbs above the mirror in the bathroom and only five were lit.  Other lights in the suite had dead bulbs, missing switches or just plain didn't work.

There was a loud dripping sound that came from the closet in the bathroom which I think must have been the condenser for the central air or the water heater.  The stopper in the tub had to be held down for a minute so the tub would fill.  The tub was the most poorly designed tub I have ever seen.  There was no ledge around most of the tub to put your toiletries on.  There was a ledge on the inside tub wall but most of the area was sloped.  Since I brought full sized shampoo, etc., it was hard to put my bottles on this ledge.  However, one of the few pluses of the room is that a nice toiletry rack was hanging from the shower head.  The tub was very uncomfortable because the wall slopes out towards you so that you have to sit leaning slightly to the left.  If you like to stand in the shower and perch your foot on the ledge to shave your legs, it's very hard to do.  I grabbed a wash cloth one day and there was something black in it which I'm afraid was a dead bug.  The last day we were there I noticed a hair on the shower wall that had been in the same location and position the day before which leads me to believe the shower was not cleaned every day.  I also noticed that the kitchen sink and bathroom sink did not look like they were cleaned every day.

The bedroom only had a double bed in it.  For a suite that rented for $200 a night once tax, etc. was factored in on an off-season, weekday night I expected at least a queen size bed.  This might not be bad if you're traveling with someone you're comfortable sleeping with, but I lasted about ten minutes in there with my sister and slept on the couch for the remainder of the trip.  The extra blankets I used had holes in them.

The temperature was very difficult to control.  The air seemed to blow primarily in the living area and the bathroom.  In order to have the bedroom be comfortable, the rest of the suite was freezing.  The vent in the bathroom is above the sink and several mornings I stepped out of the shower only to freeze from the cold air blowing on me.

The front desk staff was mostly indifferent.  We were rarely greeted when going in or out.  When we checked out, we were not asked about our stay.  When we had our problems with our first room, nothing was done to compensate us for the hassle of switching rooms.

I will not stay in this hotel again and I hope to discourage everyone I know from staying there too.  The staff at Watsons Regency should be ashamed to charge $200 a night for such poor service.

• Stayed September 2012, traveled with family

Been to Watson's Regency Suites? Share your experiences!