“Wonderful place to stay!” 5 of 5 stars

Watson's Regency Suites
901 Ocean Ave, Ocean City, NJ 08226   |
Ranked #14 of 34 hotels in Ocean City
Scotch Plains, New Jersey
“Wonderful place to stay!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 17, 2012

Condos are large, updated, & clean. Lobby & hallways also updated.
Indoor heated pool and spa; laundry rooms & underground parking.
Walking distance to beach, boardwalk and restaurants. Staff are
friendly and helpful. Housekeeping is everyday. Would highly recommend you stay at these suites while vacationing in Ocean City, NJ

Room Tip: 4th & 5th floors are high enough to give you a good view facing Atlantic City skyline and ferri...
  • Stayed October 2012, traveled with family

155 people have reviewed this hotel

Business
Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (41)
Carroll Valley, Pennsylvania
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 2, 2012 via mobile

This is second year we have stayed at Watson Regency in September for a weekend during off-peak season. We used to rent houses in OCNJ for a week but decided to explore other areas for our week vacations and come to OCNJ for weekends or day-trips.

We have found the Watson to nicely fit the niche of the not acting like a hotel but more of the house rental experience.

The large two room suite ideal for family of four. Great indoor pool and hot tub. Can't beat the location as you are less then a block to boardwalk. (And the Ocean City Coffee Co. ) Appreciate they allow you to park pre check in so you can come early and hang out all day before going to room. If you are staying for more than 2 days the full kitchen will help save $ in food. But if you are like us and just in for the weekend we barely touch the kitchen as we are in OCNJ to eat our fav foods, not cook! As for cost it may be more than other places but you get the double room suites,full kitchen, and a nice facility.

Watson is great and we will be back next year.

• Stayed September 2012
Philadelphia, Pennsylvania
1 of 5 stars Reviewed September 16, 2012

I don't think I've ever written a bad hotel review before, but in my opinion Watsons Regency really deserves it.  We booked a suite starting the Sunday after Labor Day.  Since we usually fly for vacation and were saving money by driving we splurged and got the "deluxe suite" which meant we'd be on the top floor of the hotel.

We checked in Sunday afternoon and proceeded to our room (521).  It had a nice kitchen and living room.  The bedroom was sort of small and I was disappointed that there was one double bed since I was sharing with my sister and hoped for two doubles or a queen sized bed.  But the rooms were bright and decorated in a cute seashore decor.  As we started to unpack, I noticed some issues.  First, the blinds had some slats missing and they were just leaning against the wall next to the sliding door.  So it was obvious we'd be up with the sun every day.  I tried to lock the sliding door and it was very hard to get the lock to catch.  I pulled out a drawer and it just fell out in my hands because the runners were broken.  The same thing happened with the second one I tried.  I went into the bathroom and noticed that the complimentary shampoo bottles all looked like they had been used previously.  There was shampoo residue on every bottle.  Then I checked out the tub.  There was no stopper in the tub and there was standing water and a black/green substance around the drain which I imagine was mold or mildew.  I ran the water and it washed away a bit, but I had to wonder how long water had been pooled up there.  I washed my hands in the sink and the water just sat there, not draining.  We called the front desk and were told we could switch rooms since there wasn't a maintenance person in on Sunday.  The manager came to our room with two sets of keys and told me I could check two other rooms to see if they were better.  In my opinion, the manager should have done that, not me.  They had already deactivated the keys to our room so my sister had to stay in the first room with our things while I ran to the other rooms to see if they were better.

The first room I checked (515) had the same issue with mold/mildew in the drain.  Both that room and the first one I checked into had older fixtures in the bathroom and looked like they were in need of renovation.

The second room I looked at (504) was acceptable at least.  If I hadn't prepaid the first night around eight months ago, I would have been tempted to leave, but I really didn't want to try to figure out another place to stay at this point.

The bathroom in the second room had more up to date fixtures than the first two.  And nothing nasty living in the tub that I could see.  However, the second room wasn't without its problems either.  The sliding doors were difficult to lock and I didn't feel particularly secure leaving my things there.  The screens to the sliding doors were unattached and just leaning against the doors on the balcony.  There were eight lightbulbs above the mirror in the bathroom and only five were lit.  Other lights in the suite had dead bulbs, missing switches or just plain didn't work.

There was a loud dripping sound that came from the closet in the bathroom which I think must have been the condenser for the central air or the water heater.  The stopper in the tub had to be held down for a minute so the tub would fill.  The tub was the most poorly designed tub I have ever seen.  There was no ledge around most of the tub to put your toiletries on.  There was a ledge on the inside tub wall but most of the area was sloped.  Since I brought full sized shampoo, etc., it was hard to put my bottles on this ledge.  However, one of the few pluses of the room is that a nice toiletry rack was hanging from the shower head.  The tub was very uncomfortable because the wall slopes out towards you so that you have to sit leaning slightly to the left.  If you like to stand in the shower and perch your foot on the ledge to shave your legs, it's very hard to do.  I grabbed a wash cloth one day and there was something black in it which I'm afraid was a dead bug.  The last day we were there I noticed a hair on the shower wall that had been in the same location and position the day before which leads me to believe the shower was not cleaned every day.  I also noticed that the kitchen sink and bathroom sink did not look like they were cleaned every day.

The bedroom only had a double bed in it.  For a suite that rented for $200 a night once tax, etc. was factored in on an off-season, weekday night I expected at least a queen size bed.  This might not be bad if you're traveling with someone you're comfortable sleeping with, but I lasted about ten minutes in there with my sister and slept on the couch for the remainder of the trip.  The extra blankets I used had holes in them.

The temperature was very difficult to control.  The air seemed to blow primarily in the living area and the bathroom.  In order to have the bedroom be comfortable, the rest of the suite was freezing.  The vent in the bathroom is above the sink and several mornings I stepped out of the shower only to freeze from the cold air blowing on me.

The front desk staff was mostly indifferent.  We were rarely greeted when going in or out.  When we checked out, we were not asked about our stay.  When we had our problems with our first room, nothing was done to compensate us for the hassle of switching rooms.

I will not stay in this hotel again and I hope to discourage everyone I know from staying there too.  The staff at Watsons Regency should be ashamed to charge $200 a night for such poor service.

• Stayed September 2012, traveled with family
Quakertown, Pennsylvania
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 8, 2012

There were 2 adults and 4 children ages 7-11 and we loved our 1 br suite! Two pullouts in the living room was perfect for the kids and they had their own Tv and DVD player, there were even DVD's in the drawer for them to watch. The kitchen was stocked well and had a full size frig/freezer. The dining room was a nice size as was the bedroom. There was access to the outside balcony from the LV room and Bedroom. The indoor pool was a nice size and was perfect on a rainy afternoon. It was also nice to have free covered parking. It was rather expensive but we like the block and a half walk from the boardwalk and the hotel. ~One thing to note is that you have to walk or drive 4+ blocks to a grocery or gas station even for a gallon of milk.

Sewell, New Jersey
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 4, 2012

1st time my family stayed here for a night in Ocean City. The staff and accommodations were great. Room was big, with a seperate area for living room/dining room/outdoor patio/bedroom/kitchen. Place was very clean and very quiet, and was within just one block of the beach and boardwalk. My only negative is the $350/night pricetag (includes taxes). But even so, we'll most likely stay at Watson's again next year for a longer stay

Room Tip: great views on 5th floor. And if you show up before check in, ask the front desk for your complimen...
Gatineau, Canada
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 27, 2012

We stayed 5 nights on a 5th floor room and loved it. With three young children it was perfectly located a short walk to the beach and boardwalk. The kids also loved the pool. The room was spotless and huge - the dining area, the bathroom, the kitchen, we could not have asked for more. The staff was friendly and accomodating and check-in and check-out were fast and easy. I recommend it and will definitely return.

5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 27, 2012 via mobile

Stayed 5 days Aug2012. 1st time. Would go back next year too. 1 bedroom suite pull out in living room 2 flat screen TV's dining room small kitchen full size fridge big bathroom tub/shower big bedroom queen bed,clean, pool indoor 3ft-4ft and hot tub. 1.5 blocks to boardwalk. Only complaint..queen mattress should be updated. Overall nice little apartment. Not cheap but worth it.

• Stayed August 2012

Been to Watson's Regency Suites? Share your experiences!