“Excellent food and service, but the kitchen often misinterprets the waiters' instructions” 4 of 5 stars
Review of Cafe L' Amore

Dining options: Reservations, Delivery
Dining options: Reservations, Delivery
Franklin Lakes, New Jersey
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 8, 2013

We find the food and service at L'Amore to be among the best in Bergen County. But the kitchen frequently gets the orders wrong on the small details. For example when I asked for extra onions on the salad I received none. Not a problem since the wait staff happily brought extra onions immediately. But often when my wife requests very light on the garlic in say a pasta dish, she often gets an immense amount of garlic. The first time this happened we thought it was a joke, but the waiter confirmed with the kitchen that is was an error. And this happens often. The kitchen just needs to read the orders more carefully. And while on the subject of garlic, they make the best marinara sauce around. But even for me, a garlic lover, they are far too generous in their use of garlic. Mark and Michael - please cut back on the garlic. Excessive garlic is what often separates a local pizzeria joint from a fine Italian restaurant.

• 4 of 5 stars Food

Congers, New York
“Lunch with the girls”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 23, 2013

This is a great little place; I've been here several times for lunch (only) so I cannot comment on the dinner menu. We always find good stuff to eat & talk about.

• Visited August 2013
    • 4 of 5 stars Food
New Jersey
“Food is average, atmosphere and staff leave much to be desired.”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed October 10, 2013

I'd never tried this place so I figured we'd give it a shot for a late dinner on a Wednesday. The place looks a bit run down from the outside and is half a pizzeria but an older man who must have been the owner opened the door for us and greeted us warmly upon entry (which is through the pizzeria). That was a nice start.

However, as soon as we were seated, we noticed the kiss of death, our #1 pet peeve in a restaurant: paper covering the tables. UGH. If you can't be bothered to wash linens to have an elegant atmosphere, I can't be bothered to eat at your establishment. That is so trashy to me.

Looking over the menu, we noticed an entree that came with "mozarella and ptarmigan cheese." PTARMIGAN CHEESE. Haha, we almost died laughing. How could no one catch an error like that?

The bread was warm and came with warm butter so that was nice. There was no olive oil available for the bread though, which for me is another red flag that you're not in a great place. The salad we got for an appetizer was over-priced and not very good; the artichokes were sour and it had some odd tubular vegetable that hadn't been mentioned in the description and the "sun-dried tomatoes" were instead marinated tomatoes that were not good. My pasta dish was priced fine at $15 but was very simplistic and boring; my husband's eggplant parm over spaghetti looked extremely unappetizing (no presentation! Just thrown on the plate haphazardly.) Apparently, he enjoyed it though. The portions were large; we took a lot of food home. We didn't have dessert.

The place seems to attract lower class people. An obese woman in a tank top at the next table was shout-talking the entire time, regaling her friends with tales of her therapy session, abortion, unemployed boyfriend, and "smoking crack pipes." Lovely dinner conversation. There were other frightening, crass individuals around also.

The wait staff looked like they'd rather be anywhere other than there. They weren't unpleasant, but clearly tired and unhappy. They were also very old.

Eh. Wouldn't eat there again.

• 2 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 3 of 5 stars Food
Fair Lawn, New Jersey
“Nicest rip mall restaurant”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed October 7, 2013 via mobile

This was our first time eating here upon ur cousin's recommendation. It is a BYOB and it has a nice menu with daily specials. I had the blackened Mahi-Mahi which was cooed to perfection. My wide ordered the
Short Rib special and she loved it. Disappointing that they didn't have home made desserts, but then again not too many places do in our days. The service staff was very attentive and courteous. The only disappointment of the night was unfortunately in the beginning of the night during our not so welcoming welcome by the hostess. She was not professional , had no manners and was rough around the edges.

• 5 of 5 stars Food
nyc
“excellent meal”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 29, 2013

Had dinner there with some friends who live nearby.Although they don't accept reservations,only had to wait about 10 minutes for a table on a busy Sat. night. Food was very good,I had the sole francaise, 2 good sized pieces of fish accompanied by fresh vegetables and potatoes.Very tasty.The others in my group ordered a cavatelli special,chicken marsala and sole oreganate,all prepared very well, although the sole was slightly burnt on top. The room was a bit noisy,but tolerable.One nice feature is that the restaurant allows BYOB and we brought a delicious bottle of 2008 Jordan Cabernet Sauvignon,Alexander Valley to have with dinner.Would go back again as the menu is rather extensive,with lots of good choices.

• Visited September 2013