“Ok for a no frills place” 3 of 5 stars
Review of Surf 16 Motel

We can't find prices for this hotel
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this hotel, but we can search other options in North Wildwood
Surf 16 Motel
1600 Surf Ave., North Wildwood, NJ 08260   |
Ranked #26 of 41 hotels in North Wildwood
Rosemere, Canada
“Ok for a no frills place”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed 1 week ago NEW

This was our second stay at this motel. We chose it for our first stay three years ago as we brought our dogs with us and it seemed to be the only pet friendly motel in the entire area.

The rooms are all original. This means the bathrooms are mostly pink and green. The owner wants his motel to have a do-wop theme.

The bathrooms - They are clean but tiny. We had a pedestal style sink. There are no counters in the bathrooms at all. This means there is absolutely no space for cosmetics, etc. We had to keep everything on the large bureau in the room. There was an old mirrored cabinet above the sink. I was excited until I opened it. There were no shelves in it at all. It was totally useless. There were no hairdryers in the bathroom. They don't offer them at the front desk either. We had to take a trip to Walmart so I could get one. We came back to the room after picking a cheap one up. There was no plug in the bathroom to use it. I had to dry my hair in the middle of the bedroom. Both the drain in the sink and tub were clogged at the end of the visit.

The room - Plenty of storage space for clothes, etc. We had to go to the front desk to ask for hangers for the closet. We were only able to get around 5 of them. The telephones were old and didn't work. The beds were ok.

Maid service - No complaints about the maid service. They came in every day with enough clean towels and soap. They did a great job on the room even though we had alot of stuff lying around.

WIFI - The WIFI didn't work at all. We went down to the front ask to ask about it and the lady who works the desk didn't seem aware that there was a problem. She said she would call "THE GUY" to fix it and I guess she didn't. I know we were supposed to be on vacation but I have my own business and needed to still check in from time to time. We spoke to some other guests and they had the same problem.

Pool and surroundings - The pool is very well maintained and clean. The outside of the motel and balconies look brand new. Everything looked very clean and well maintained. There are BBQ's outside if you want to grill your own food.

Location - It's a five minute walk to the beach and the north end starting point of the boardwalk. The tram car route starts right there. The Pancake House and Candy Cottage were located right beside the motel, about a 30 second walk away.

They now only allow dogs up to 25 pounds. I never heard any barking or saw dogs running around so all was good in that respect.

The owner, Rick, is a great guy. On our last evening we decided to grill our own food. We hooked up with another family and it turned into a party. Rick joined in a little bit to mingle with us and just let us do our own thing.

The woman who works the desk, on the other hand, has a bit of an attitude problem. Our friends in the room beside us were due to check out on Friday morning but were staying on, to hang out with us for the rest of the day and evening. My family were due to check out Saturday morning. At exactly 10 am on the nose, Friday morning, the Maid was pounding at their door. We were in our room because there was a tropical storm. I heard the pounding and told the maid that our friends were obviously still sleeping. She said that it was 10 am and they had to check out now. I told her that I would have my husband call our friend on his cell to wake him up and to give us a few minutes. Thirty seconds later, I heard more pounding and saw the front desk lady pounding at their door. Our friend was awake at this point and the lady told him very rudely that he had to be out, right now.....

Ok, I get it. Check out is at 10 am. Our friends over slept and they were in the wrong. After they moved their stuff into our room, Joe went down and spoke to her. He told her that she should not have confronted him right away at level 6.....It's not like she had to come up two or three times to warn him. She at first said, "Sorry but I'm used to dealing with kids who come here to party...." Joe simply explained to her that he was not one of those kids....He's not even in the same age group as them.....She said she tried to call the room and they didn't answer. She accused them of unplugging the phone. In reality, the phones don't work. It might have had something to do with the storm that day.

To sum it up, she needs to work on her customer service skills if they want to keep receiving repeat business!

I have travelled a lot over the years and understand that you get what you pay for. The price for this place is reasonable. They still need to work on the above mentioned things to make this a good hotel.

• Stayed July 2014, traveled with family

43 people have reviewed this hotel

Business
Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (9)
Philadelphia
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 29, 2014

Very nice, clean and friendly. Great area, no need to drive. It's a great place for a vacation with your pets or just with family. Nice and relaxing, the pool area is a nice size area that you have plenty of room for all guests. Will return back this summer.

• Stayed May 2014, traveled with family
Lansdale, Pennsylvania
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 14, 2014

the owners are super friendly. they are pet friendly. about a 1.5 blocks from boardwalk....are able to see friday nite fireworks on the beach from second floor. its not my first visit to this motel....and im sure it wont be my last.

• Stayed August 2013, traveled with family
Huntingdon Valley, Pennsylvania, United States
3 of 5 stars Reviewed September 3, 2013

This was our second time here . The first was so much better in 2012 , but this time was just so-so . Location is great and if you can get room like I did the first time really great ...I was upstairs with a bigger room , but my second was just ok . I came here because they were pet friendly but kept getting called about my dogs barking ...well yeah , dogs do that . Was with family and now had to have either me or husband stay behind . There were many young adults staying there making all kinda of loud noises all night so that was kinda of annoying when I was called about my dogs ( I didn't run into this at another pet friendly location ) and so accordingly most dogs will bark ...they were not stressed , just being dogs . It seemed more geared twords the 18-20 somethings who want to party all night and crash than a family with young children or pet friendly place .

• Stayed May 2013, traveled with family
Philadelphia, Pennsylvania, United States
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 23, 2013

I was here for the Summer Mummers weekend. The management were extremely friendly and inviting. Any question or concerns were immediately addressed. The pool was always kept clean, as was the hotel. I recommend it to everyone I know planning a trip. I had such a great time that I booked again for this upcoming week. I will continue to stay here from now till the foreseeable future.

• Stayed June 2013, traveled with friends
Lancaster, Pennsylvania
2 of 5 stars Reviewed August 15, 2013

I stay at surf 16 for a few days in August this summer. I was happy with my room, It was small but very clean. The pool and outside area was very clean.The new manger was nice and friendly. This is a family motel, so no late night partying here. I don't go to Wildwood every summer but when I do go back I will stay at Surf 16 again.

• Stayed August 2013, traveled as a couple
Yardley, Pennsylvania
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 14, 2013

Every June my daughter and my two granddaughters go away for a "girls only" vacation. This past June we picked Surf 16 which was recommended by my neighbors. We had the big suite, 2 bedrooms and livingroom. A great idea since the girls went to bed early and we could sit and read or watch TV before retiring. The beach is only a block away and after going there every day we all enjoyed the pool upon returning. Parking was easy even though we ate at a few restaurants in walking distance. Sam's was great for breakfast. Surf 16 is a friendly family motel and the staff couldn't be beat. I may return in September with some of my girlfriends.

Room Tip: Ask for one of the newly renovated rooms.