“Fun family place to stay” 4 of 5 stars
Review of Surf 16 Motel

We can't find prices for this hotel
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this hotel, but we can search other options in North Wildwood
Surf 16 Motel
You added Surf 16 Motel to your Saves list
1600 Surf Ave., North Wildwood, NJ 08260   |
Ranked #24 of 42 Hotels in North Wildwood
Yardley, Pennsylvania
“Fun family place to stay”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 14, 2013

Every June my daughter and my two granddaughters go away for a "girls only" vacation. This past June we picked Surf 16 which was recommended by my neighbors. We had the big suite, 2 bedrooms and livingroom. A great idea since the girls went to bed early and we could sit and read or watch TV before retiring. The beach is only a block away and after going there every day we all enjoyed the pool upon returning. Parking was easy even though we ate at a few restaurants in walking distance. Sam's was great for breakfast. Surf 16 is a friendly family motel and the staff couldn't be beat. I may return in September with some of my girlfriends.

Room Tip: Ask for one of the newly renovated rooms.
  • Stayed June 2013, traveled with family

Business
Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (9)
Yonkers, NY
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 7, 2013

I have been staying at Surf 16 for the past 3 years. I even went back a 2nd time this year (2013) . The staff is excellent the owner's are extremely friendly and accomodating. I am a property manager for 20 years and have to say that the owner's are doing an excellent job turning this place around. If you are looking for a great location and great hospitality then Surf 16 is the place you want to stay.

Room Tip: The 2 queen size beds was a good size room to stay in.
  • Stayed July 2013, traveled as a couple
Stratford, New Jersey, United States
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 5, 2013

Great place to stay at an affordable price. Went down this past saturday with my boyfriend for a over night getaway got lucky and found this place by accident. Staff was wonderful to us. We even booked here for Irish Weekend.

Stayed August 2013, traveled as a couple
1 of 5 stars Reviewed August 4, 2013 via mobile

We've been coming to this hotel for many years with it's past owners and were very pleased with each stay. But this year will be the last year. If you want to be hawked and feel uncomfortable then this is the place for you. New owners are HORRIBLE!! Not friendly or inviting. They keep hawking you and watch every move you make in their office through the blinds. I will never come back again. From checking out they go into the room with you and make sure everything is OK. .they should do that process to check in and see if we want to stay in that filth.. Felt like they haven't vaccumed in weeks. Don't spend your money on this hotel. Go somewhere else. Not worth the $.

• Stayed August 2013
Teaneck, New Jersey, United States
1 of 5 stars Reviewed July 29, 2013

Let me start by saying the owner coming on and bashing reviewers is not a way to gain any fans. All of the reviews for 2013 have been poor, sorry to say. My brother took a chance, though, because we needed a last minute place to stay. Previously we stayed ocean front in the Crest, and this time we wanted to be in North Wildwood, closer to the boardwalk, so we chose Surf 16.

I understand plumbing issues, we are at the beach after all and it is nearing August, so the toilets and showers have been used a lot. But overall the room was dirty, the maid service was dismal. I was very unimpressed with the customer service from the reservation taking all the way through to the check in/out. Will not recommend this place to anyone, I'm sorry.

• Stayed July 2013, traveled with family
surf1646686, Owner at Surf 16 Motel, responded to this review, August 3, 2013
I am sorry you were not happy with your stay. Again I would like to say that we would have been more than happy to address any problems you had while you were here had you let us know. We are here 24 hours a day everyday. In addition it was not my intention to bash any customer but I believe if this is the way people are going to communicate their concerns these days then both sides of the story should be told.
I also find it very disheartening that when I attempted to communicate with TripA that we were new owners and could they give us a fresh start from the buildings past reviews. Their response was to requests a list of extremely personal documents to be sent to an anonymous dept. And they advise us that we would need to sign up for a level of control that would cost about $4000 dollars yearly. Readers also may be interested to know that the Hotel industry worldwide is involved with numerous class action suits that involve TRipA extortion tactics.
I guess all I'm trying to say is that these reviews are sometimes written in a tone that implies that we do not care about the experience our guests have here. the only one that benefits is this company when they get panicked owners to pay up to manage/block their bad reviews. Nothing could be further from the truth. I'm here and if I can do something to make a situation better I do it. Writing after the fact is just that.
Philadelphia, Pennsylvania
1 of 5 stars Reviewed July 20, 2013

filthy (blood stains on comforter, dirty sheets, dirty floors)... the maid didn't come by at all in the 3 days we were there even with the sign on the door. The toilet repeatedly didn't work and the motel room was the size of a shoebox. There were no outlets in the bathroom and few in the room and it was highly uncomfortable (bedding). It was evident that customer service wasn't there top or bottom priority and I wouldn't stay here again.

Room Tip: If you do stay, get an efficiency apartment and bring your own bedding.
  • Stayed July 2013, traveled with friends
surf1646686, Owner at Surf 16 Motel, responded to this review, July 23, 2013
Dear Poochiedelmont
Let me start by apologizing for your less than perfect stay with us. As the owner of the motel I can assure you that had you informed me, or any one of the staff, these problems would have been attended to immediately.
I do wonder about the nature of your complaint because if you did indeed stay here you surely would have noticed the full time maintenance person I have working on the property everyday as well as my entire family and myself. The toilet or anything mechanical in the room is always attended to immediately either by staff or myself. In addition I employ a staff of three housekeepers who have specific room assignments they are here seven days a week and are well trained hard working people. Any one of them or myself would have taken care of the problem with your bedding or any other housekeeping problem you may have had if we had been informed.
I am sorry the bedding was not to your liking. We have just recently replaced every bed and mattress in the motel and not one unit has a bed older than 6 months. We chose a product we felt would make most guests comfortable obviously you were not satisfied but we do try.
We are in our third season of ownership in somewhat of a turnaround situation while this is no excuse for your being dissatisfied I would like you to know that we would have gladly and cheerfully tried to resolve any problem, if you had given us a chance. Unfortunately you chose this extremely biased, ransom seeking medium to post your dissatisfaction which will do nothing to solve the problems you had. If I chose to pay money I could have all negative reviews like this blocked but I refuse to be held hostage in this way. Yes, your comments will have an affect but not the one that you think it does. the only affect it has is the one this company wants it to have, which is to force businesses to subscribe/pay in order to manage their accounts. My experience is that is always best to bring your concerns directly to the management so it can be corrected. I have no reason to ignore any complaint for any reason. I am in a business that depends on the return of good satisfied customers for 16 weeks out of the year what would I have to gain by ignoring you as my guest.
Rick Geers
Owner
Philadelphia, Pennsylvania, United States
2 of 5 stars Reviewed July 18, 2013

I was eager to find a pet-friendly motel in wildwood. Staff was courteous and friendly, but the room is less than a one star. Most of the appliances don't work and the room itself was dirty. There is blood on my comforter and sand in the sheets. The bed and pillows are uncomfortable and bedroom is very small. They have a "charge your card only once" policy so any additional days/early check-ins must be paid in cash. I would not stay again.

• Stayed July 2013, traveled solo
surf1646686, Owner at Surf 16 Motel, responded to this review, July 23, 2013
Dear GuillermoG.
I would like to apologize for your dissatisfying stay with us. Perhaps you could review the comments I submitted to Poochiedelmont for consideration or perhaps you are the same customer attempting to emphasize your dissatisfaction. In any case we would have gladly attended to any of your concerns during the course of your stay had you informed us of them. I am also sorry for the credit card misunderstanding. Our policy of one credit card transaction per reservation helps us keep our room cost down. Every transaction has a fee from merchant services, when it is used more than once for the same transaction it significantly increases the cost of providing a room. This policy is very consistent with that of other businesses in this area and as I say is implemented in order to keep cost down. However, we would never refuse to provide service to you because of this general guideline to our staff. Again please don't be fooled by the nature of this medium. Bringing your dissatisfaction to the attention of someone who can do something to correct it is the way to get satisfaction. All you are doing here is feeding into the profits of a social medium extortionist.
Rick Geers
owner

Been to Surf 16 Motel? Share your experiences!