“Terrible Choice!!!!!!!!!” 1 of 5 stars
Review of Surf 16 Motel

We can't find prices for this hotel
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this hotel, but we can search other options in North Wildwood
Surf 16 Motel
You added Surf 16 Motel to your Saves list
1600 Surf Ave., North Wildwood, NJ 08260   |
Ranked #24 of 42 Hotels in North Wildwood
Teaneck, New Jersey, United States
“Terrible Choice!!!!!!!!!”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed July 29, 2013

Let me start by saying the owner coming on and bashing reviewers is not a way to gain any fans. All of the reviews for 2013 have been poor, sorry to say. My brother took a chance, though, because we needed a last minute place to stay. Previously we stayed ocean front in the Crest, and this time we wanted to be in North Wildwood, closer to the boardwalk, so we chose Surf 16.

I understand plumbing issues, we are at the beach after all and it is nearing August, so the toilets and showers have been used a lot. But overall the room was dirty, the maid service was dismal. I was very unimpressed with the customer service from the reservation taking all the way through to the check in/out. Will not recommend this place to anyone, I'm sorry.

• Stayed July 2013, traveled with family
surf1646686, Owner at Surf 16 Motel, responded to this review, August 3, 2013
I am sorry you were not happy with your stay. Again I would like to say that we would have been more than happy to address any problems you had while you were here had you let us know. We are here 24 hours a day everyday. In addition it was not my intention to bash any customer but I believe if this is the way people are going to communicate their concerns these days then both sides of the story should be told.
I also find it very disheartening that when I attempted to communicate with TripA that we were new owners and could they give us a fresh start from the buildings past reviews. Their response was to requests a list of extremely personal documents to be sent to an anonymous dept. And they advise us that we would need to sign up for a level of control that would cost about $4000 dollars yearly. Readers also may be interested to know that the Hotel industry worldwide is involved with numerous class action suits that involve TRipA extortion tactics.
I guess all I'm trying to say is that these reviews are sometimes written in a tone that implies that we do not care about the experience our guests have here. the only one that benefits is this company when they get panicked owners to pay up to manage/block their bad reviews. Nothing could be further from the truth. I'm here and if I can do something to make a situation better I do it. Writing after the fact is just that.

Business
Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (9)
Philadelphia, Pennsylvania
1 of 5 stars Reviewed July 20, 2013

filthy (blood stains on comforter, dirty sheets, dirty floors)... the maid didn't come by at all in the 3 days we were there even with the sign on the door. The toilet repeatedly didn't work and the motel room was the size of a shoebox. There were no outlets in the bathroom and few in the room and it was highly uncomfortable (bedding). It was evident that customer service wasn't there top or bottom priority and I wouldn't stay here again.

Room Tip: If you do stay, get an efficiency apartment and bring your own bedding.
  • Stayed July 2013, traveled with friends
Dear Poochiedelmont
Let me start by apologizing for your less than perfect stay with us. As the owner of the motel I can assure you that had you informed me, or any one of the staff, these problems would have been attended to immediately.
I do wonder about the nature of your complaint because if you did indeed stay here you surely would have noticed the full time maintenance person I have working on the property everyday as well as my entire family and myself. The toilet or anything mechanical in the room is always attended to immediately either by staff or myself. In addition I employ a staff of three housekeepers who have specific room assignments they are here seven days a week and are well trained hard working people. Any one of them or myself would have taken care of the problem with your bedding or any other housekeeping problem you may have had if we had been informed.
I am sorry the bedding was not to your liking. We have just recently replaced every bed and mattress in the motel and not one unit has a bed older than 6 months. We chose a product we felt would make most guests comfortable obviously you were not satisfied but we do try.
We are in our third season of ownership in somewhat of a turnaround situation while this is no excuse for your being dissatisfied I would like you to know that we would have gladly and cheerfully tried to resolve any problem, if you had given us a chance. Unfortunately you chose this extremely biased, ransom seeking medium to post your dissatisfaction which will do nothing to solve the problems you had. If I chose to pay money I could have all negative reviews like this blocked but I refuse to be held hostage in this way. Yes, your comments will have an affect but not the one that you think it does. the only affect it has is the one this company wants it to have, which is to force businesses to subscribe/pay in order to manage their accounts. My experience is that is always best to bring your concerns directly to the management so it can be corrected. I have no reason to ignore any complaint for any reason. I am in a business that depends on the return of good satisfied customers for 16 weeks out of the year what would I have to gain by ignoring you as my guest.
Owner
Philadelphia, Pennsylvania, United States
2 of 5 stars Reviewed July 18, 2013

I was eager to find a pet-friendly motel in wildwood. Staff was courteous and friendly, but the room is less than a one star. Most of the appliances don't work and the room itself was dirty. There is blood on my comforter and sand in the sheets. The bed and pillows are uncomfortable and bedroom is very small. They have a "charge your card only once" policy so any additional days/early check-ins must be paid in cash. I would not stay again.

• Stayed July 2013, traveled solo
Dear GuillermoG.
I would like to apologize for your dissatisfying stay with us. Perhaps you could review the comments I submitted to Poochiedelmont for consideration or perhaps you are the same customer attempting to emphasize your dissatisfaction. In any case we would have gladly attended to any of your concerns during the course of your stay had you informed us of them. I am also sorry for the credit card misunderstanding. Our policy of one credit card transaction per reservation helps us keep our room cost down. Every transaction has a fee from merchant services, when it is used more than once for the same transaction it significantly increases the cost of providing a room. This policy is very consistent with that of other businesses in this area and as I say is implemented in order to keep cost down. However, we would never refuse to provide service to you because of this general guideline to our staff. Again please don't be fooled by the nature of this medium. Bringing your dissatisfaction to the attention of someone who can do something to correct it is the way to get satisfaction. All you are doing here is feeding into the profits of a social medium extortionist.
owner
1 of 5 stars Reviewed July 9, 2013 via mobile

My family and I picked this hotel mainly because it advertised that it was "pet friendly". We left our dog in the room to go to dinner. While at dinner I received a call from the hotel manager. He stated that the dog was barking and that we had to come back to the hotel. We were not gone long. How is this a pet friendly hotel? Dogs bark that is what they do. Needless to say we were so aggravated with the situation that we decided to just leave. The manager refused to give me ANY money back. I had paid for the whole weekend. He was rude and arrogant. Furthermore the rooms were dirty and disgusting. I spent half a day cleaning the room and we wound up not even staying. Don't stay here!

• Stayed July 2013
Dear Ginmarie
I thought we had come to a peaceful understanding before you chose for yourself to leave for the weekend. Now you choose to use these business extortionist's to communicate a problem for which you are solely to blame in its action and outcome. I am disappointed that you as a fellow business owner would choose this form of communication to air your complaint knowing that this medium serves no purpose but to line the pockets of disinterested corporate hacks.
You came to me and I very calmly stated the reason for my call and our policy. Before accusing me of being rude and arrogant you might start by telling both sides of the story. When we called you to care for your stressed puppy it was to protect the peace and comfort of other guest in the motel. At an extremely rude hour of the day I might add. You ignored our first recommendation for guest vacationing with their pets. You left that little guy all by himself in a strange environment. perhaps convinced in your own mind that allowing the pup to continue barking would somehow be OK with all the other people abiding peacefully by the rules. And then you acted clueless about why it's behavior was a problem. The way you treated that puppy should not even be allowed to own a dog much less vacation with one. I will not apologize for my request or policy. Yes we are pet friendly and the vast majority of our guest are considerate and caring people, for their pets and the people around them.
You were clueless and attacked me for attempting to respond to and quell a legitimate customer complaint. We spoke with one another after you calmed down and you agreed even in your business you are obligated to respond to any complaints when you are informed of a problem. And now you put this on the internet you should be totally ashamed of yourself. The only thing you were asked to do was to take action to calm the dog and to please not let it continue. At no time did I ask you to leave or vacate the premises that was your choice stemming from frustration that I believe had nothing to do with us. And your were well aware of our refund policy.
I won't let behavior like that continue for one second here,that is what makes this place work. My guest who vacation with or without their pets know that their comfort is always on my mind and I wouldn't let you or anyone else compromise that. As for your other complaints I believe the readers of the review and response can read between the lines and draw there own conclusion.
Good Luck with that business in Bryn Mawr I hope all your reviews are fair
Owner
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 8, 2013

Pleasant "Wildwood style" dog friendly motel. Very clean. Nice dog run area in back yard. Friendly guests. The room is what I expect in Wildwood, nothing fancy but adequate - short walk to beach & boardwalk. Yes the bathrooms are small but manageable. We stayed one weekend, and it certainly met our needs. Also being in North Wildwood it is rather quiet.

• Stayed September 2012, traveled as a couple
Burlington, NJ
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 17, 2012

We went down for the firemans convention and this was the first time our company booked this hotel. After reading the reviews I was a little scared of what we would find. We stayed for 4 days and had a blast. Check in was fast and friendly. The rooms were really nice with hardwood floors (pergo) newer appliances and very spacious. The staff was friendly and very helpful with anything any of us wanted. We took up the entire hotel and no one had any complaints. We are already booked there for next year. The owners came out and spent time with us and any problems were immediately taken care of. If you understand typical beach hotels, this one ranks higher than most. Thanks Surf 16 for a great time.

Room Tip: We took a couple of pots and pans because of the review but when we got there stuff was already in t...
  • Stayed September 2012, traveled with friends
Burlington, New Jersey
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 17, 2012

We stayed here for a convention. This was the first year for our group to be at the Surf 16, and we do not regret a second of it. The staff is very friendly and the rooms were clean. You can see the owners definitely take pride in their location. I definitely plan on staying at the Surf 16 Motel again if I go back to Wildwood!

• Stayed September 2012, traveled with friends

Been to Surf 16 Motel? Share your experiences!