“Something different” 5 of 5 stars

Dining options: Reservations
NJ
“Something different”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 5, 2013 via mobile

We have been to this restaurant twice now. The food is different and is very good. They serve you olives and bread to start, which I could eat everyday. It is byob so save your money and order dessert. We order the Istanbul combination platter which has several types of meat and rice. It's a great way to try it all. We finished it off with a dessert sampler of baklavas and a custard. The server was slow but very friendly and helpful in explaining any of the menu items you may not be familiar with. We will return for sure. It's a nice local place to try. If you like Greek food, you will love this.

79% Recommend
NJ
“Different and good”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed February 14, 2013

Easy to find something for everyone from the carnivore to the vegetarian and it is all delicious. I've tried this type of cuisine before and was somewhat reluctant to try it again but since doing so at Istanbul have been back several times.

Food and service are both excellent and if you're looking for a change up from the same old fare this is the place.

• Visited January 2013
North Brunswick, New Jersey
“Decent Food, So-So Service”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed January 2, 2013

There was almost no one in the restaurant for lunch, so we expected to be served quickly. It took a long time to place our order, the waiter forgot one of the appetizers, and the food was very slow in coming to the table. They also did not accept the credit card I wanted to use to pay the bill.

• Visited December 2012
New York City, New York
“Cool Turkish food”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed December 17, 2012

I ordered the Boner as I usually do and it was very tasty, as was the two rices they gave us and the bread.

• Visited December 2012
“Nice neighborhood option”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed September 18, 2012

I've seen a lot of restaurants come and go in this same location and I have to admit that I am rooting for this one to succeed. The staff is really nice and the food is decent. The decor is okay but they seem to be trying to make changes. We love the warm fresh bread and the olives in olive oil is delicious. I tried the Iskender Kebab the last time I was there and the bread was completely soggy so the dish was just one big soupy mess. I would definitely not recommend that dish to anyone.The falafel is dry and lacks flavor. I like the adana kebab grill dinner, my husband likes the Istanbul Combination grill dinner. I like the shepherd salad and the lahmajoun although there is not much difference between the appetizer portion and the entree portion. The lahmajoun entree will not fill you up on its own as it's a very flat small "pizza"-like dish. If you have a sweet tooth the kazandibi is like a smooth custard but rich so it's nice to share with 1 or 2 others.

• Visited August 2012