“If you like to be mistreated, this is your place!” 1 of 5 stars
Review of Days Inn North Bergen - New York City

Save Saved
You added Days Inn North Bergen - New York City to your Saves list
Days Inn North Bergen - New York City
3.0 of 5 Hotel   |   2750 Tonnelle Avenue, I-495 & US 1 & 9, North Bergen, NJ 07047 (Formerly Days Inn at the Meadowlands)   |
Hotel deals
Special Offer
30% More Wyndham Rewards
Ranked #4 of 7 hotels in North Bergen
Laval, Canada
“If you like to be mistreated, this is your place!”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed September 6, 2011

We arrived at the hotel Sept. 3, 2011 at 2:55 pm from Montreal (approx. 7 hours from New York) and having a reservation. The receptionist (named Jessica) greets us with no smile (as if I took all her sweets). She mentions that the room is not ready and to wait 5 minutes. Others arrive and it serves them in the same way but by giving them access to a room. And it is like that for three other couples. My husband went to ask her what was the problem and she replied with a long face (almost ignoring him), that the room we are supposed to have is not the same room that the other people have. Yet we have not specified anything when booking. But 40 minutes of waiting after, she told my husband to wait 5 more minutes.

Finally, after 45 minutes we had our room. When we arrived in the room the windows were wide open with an awful odor. We tried to close the window but were blocked. Finally, I managed to close but not completely; because the frame of the window was smashed (I took a picture). The toilet was not very clean and was ordinary; the tub was full of mold under the silicone. I wanted to make a coffee but the coffee maker was broken. Seriously I felt like in a cheap MOTEL.
The next morning, I left a note telling them that the coffee machine was not working and to change it. What they have done, but they didn’t leave any glass and there wasn’t any coffee envelope. I had to go down to pick up the glass and the coffee. I wasn’t surprise to see the same receptionist who gave us the day before the frustrated face.
The day of our departure, Sept. 5, 2011, I went down to hand in the room, but Jessica wasn’t there, her colleague took her place. I asked him if I could file a complaint. He was surprised and gave me a piece of paper. I told him that I wanted to make an official complaint. He replied a little confused that I could call the customer service line, or to go on your website.
In conclusion, I am really disappointed with my experience because I believe that, to have a good time in a distinguished hotel, it starts with a nice greet of the guest.

• Stayed September 2011, traveled as a couple

415 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (34)
NYC
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 4, 2011

We were told to evacuate our oceanfront home during the hurricane Irene.
My family was fortunate to find two adjoining rooms on the 9th floor of the Days Inn Hotel in North Bergen New Jersey. As we arrived into the Days Inn parking lot, things started to go well for us. From the chaos that we had packing and moving everything into our car to the tranquility and luxury accomodation. Taking our belonging from our car was not a big deal as I thought it would have been. From our car to the lobby was few steps and they have the wonderful cart available to put luggage. We quickly checked in. The lobby was charming and people were having breakfast in the cafe which we tried the next day. We found the cafe to be the best breakfast in New Jersey. When we got up to our floor, we were stunned to see the marble and the chrome hallway which belongs to a modern luxury hotel. We almost forgot that we were in the Days Inn. The rooms had flat screen tv.
My younger brother was quick to hook up his xbox so he was less of a bother to me.
My mother went to the other room where she unpacked and at a short time we felt like we were at home. The mattress was very comfortable. The rooms were immaculate clean.
To our surprise, the bathroom which was all marble and has a bidet something we did not see in any hotel in the United States. We found it to be very hygienic. We were told that week the hotel opened a Chinese Buffet at its rooftop floor, 12th floor and we decided to have dinner there. Wonderful experience! The food was tasty and the price for dinner is $12.99 per person including drink is a bargain. The place is spacious, luxury and has good music background of the 50's & 60's. My brother was running throughout the hallway and the lobby and the front desk employees were very nice and patient with him, something we were worried about. We traveled a lot and we never found a place like this during our stay. Since it was during the hurricane experience, we felt safe and the rate
was good and my mother said that she was ready to pay much more. We found out later the hotel in NYc was charging at least $600-$800 per room per night, while this hotel rate was only $129. We also found out later that this hotel has shuttle service to Times Square
and back to the hotel, 10 minutes away. We met some nice people in the hotel we got friendly with.

Aventura, Florida
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 16, 2011

I spent three nights at this hotel with my daughter and two grandaughters. It is located minutes from Midtown Manhattan. I thouroughly enjoyed the stay. Our rooms had been newly renovated - granite floors and bathrooms, flat screen televisions, mini refrigerators, coffee pots, irons and ironing boards, etc...... It felt like we were in a luxury hotel at a budget price. An added bonus - great "free" parking.There are two computers in reception area (also free) will ability to print boarding passes for our return flight to Florida. Lovely breakfast room with full breadfast menu. Super clean! Location allowed us to do lots of sightseeing and to visit relatives.

vienna
2 of 5 stars Reviewed August 4, 2011

he most positive about this hotel, but i am afraid that almost the only thing, was the price. the hotel is ok if you are just looking for a place to sleep and spend all day in new york. after all, if you have to calculate every $$$ twice and are ready to accept some drawbacks, the hotel might be still ok for you.

The location of the hotel is not as good as we expected. there is a bus(125) which goes like every hour from new york to a bus-station near the hotel. you still have to go down a steep hill for about 500m. the neighborhood is distressing in the first place, but you can get used to it. i think that it is safer than it looks. don't expect to like it at all. to go back to new york you have a wide range of bus lines so you don't need to be 'on time' in this direction. you still have to go up back the steep hill. tickets cost about $2.5 - $3.2 one-way and the journey takes about 15-20 minutes. i am quite sure that there are also other alternatives to get to the hotel from new york, because there are many of these smaller buses, which look like private ones, but we didn't have the time to figure it out. no matter which public transportation you choose, the steep hill is always between the bus-stop and the hotel. the hotel for itself looks quite old. the rooms on the pictures look at least a little bit modern, but the room we actually got, was not a little bit like shown. i can imagine that the hotel was on the "better side", but something like 10-20years ago. after all, we did not stay in this hotel for long, so it was ok. the daily journey to new jersey was a bigger drawback than we thought in the first place. its not the time or the money, because if you get on the bus you are quite fast at your destination. and if you add the daily transportation expenses, about $6 per day per person, you are still on the cheaper side. it's the fact that you have to think about and that you have to plan it, at least a little bit and therefore you can't be this spontaneous. you can't just go back to the hotel during the day, because it's not just a few stops with the metro. in the end most of the positive energy is gone if you finally reach your destination and the only thing you want to think of is just to go to bed, sleeping.

• Stayed July 2011, traveled as a couple
Robbinsville, New Jersey
2 of 5 stars Reviewed August 3, 2011

My expectations were low because of the price, so the visual of a burnt lampshade and bubbling walls weren't reassuring but weren't what lead me to write a negative review of this establishment. Rather, it was a security issue which the manager has since apologized and was very professional about, but should not have happened to begin with.

I did a quick inspection under the bed and saw several nails and screws and what looked like drywall. In the corner of the room was a large black hair clip. Both of these things made me feel that they did not vacuum thoroughly, but I didn't want to walk on the dark threadbare carpet anyway, nor would I use the linens other than the sheet. The bathroom did seem clean and there was a refrigerator which was convenient.

Along with the broken remote (to a tv that wasn't flat screened as a previous review mentioned) was a broken lamp that had its bulb base bent at a 90 degree angle and 2 cracked wall outlets that had trouble holding onto any plugs. The telephone jack was hanging out of the wall in a tangle of wires, and the ac unit made a startling banging sound when it started up and wound down.

My issue was that just before 11pm two hotel guests were assigned my room as well, and had a key to my room that opened my door. Had these guest arrived an hour prior, when I was not in the room, they would have had access to all my belongings. As it was they served to put a good scare in me. After a sleepless night I was happy to commute the long distance from my home to my training, rather than stay additional nights.

Stayed July 2011, traveled on business
Boston, Massachusetts
2 of 5 stars Reviewed August 3, 2011

This was a low budget hotel option. Nothing fancy about it. I guess if you are looking for a cheap place to stay for the night in the NYC area (as we were) then it serves that purpose, but I would not stay here as a family for an extended time.

Room was decent size but had a smoky, unclean odor. The carpets were stained and dirty. The bathroom was clean. Cheap uncomfortable linens...very inexpensive polyester/nylon sheets, blankets, covers. Mattress was very thin.

Large parking lot with free parking. Breakfast is not included but there is a cafe on site. Checked out in the early morning listening to the cafe staff arguing loudly...that was not pleasant.

Won't return here again.

Boston, Massachusetts
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 25, 2011

I was on my way to NYC just before the Lincoln tunnel I noticed this high rise hotel since the had a large parking lot I decided to check it out. I couldn't get a room in NYC,to my surprise the had a room available.the lobby was charming and people ware having breakfast in the coffee shop.I decided to check in for 1 night.I paid about $127 a night.
I also told i can get wireless internet all around the building.when I got to my room I was more them pleasantly surprised. marbled bathrooms ,flat screen TV ,safe deposit box and very clean room.when I checked out I ate at their delicious coffee shop .I drove into Manhattan ware my friend arrange for me a hotel on the upper west side for $350 per night plus tax.parking for my car was about $60.I told my friend about this hotel that the accommodation ware superior to NYC hotel.Tow day later I went back to this hotel together with my friend. Defiantly coming back on my next trip.

• Stayed July 2011, traveled on business

Been to Days Inn North Bergen - New York City? Share your experiences!