“A real "slick" place” 1 of 5 stars

Ranked #2 of 7 Hotels in North Bergen
Mass
“A real "slick" place”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed June 18, 2012

My family and I were going to Hoboken, N.J. for the weekend. We were only going to need to be in Hoboken for a few hours, we planned to spend the rest of the time in New York City. We called the Comfort Inn and asked if there was some type of shuttle available to New York. We were told that indeed there was-and it was free from the hotel. We were also quoted a nightly rate of $145.00, and we assumed that taxes and fees were on top of that. So being told this over the phone, we booked it. When we arrive, there was sudden amnesia regarding this free shuttle. Oh yes, they can direct you to one, but it is $60.00 per person, which includes a N.Y. tour. At check-in my wife initialed the form that had the hotel cost-$179.00, but at this point she thought that this was the $145 plus taxes and fees. Well, after a lousy night in this dirty hotel, and after a crappy continental breakfast, we attempt to check out-and now the $179 has gone to nearly $200 because here is where the taxes and fees are disclosed. Folks, stay away. It's a dump and a blatant rip-off.

• Stayed June 2012, traveled with family
    • 2 of 5 stars
3 Thank clairob7

Massachusetts
3 of 5 stars Reviewed June 13, 2012

Stayed here 1 night on business and was pleasantly surprised. A reasonable price for a hotel within a couple miles from NYC (very close the the Lincoln Tunnel entrance in NJ). I'd recommend it for the business traveler on a budget, or if you're en route from one place to another. A fairly new building that seemed clean and the front desk attendant was friendly and helpful. The free breakfast was satisfactory.
Being close to NYC was great, but that's about the very best thing about the location. The neighborhood is sketchy, so, don't plan on going for late night jog. Otherwise, it's fine and a good price for a comfortable night stay.

• Stayed May 2012, traveled on business
    • 2 of 5 stars
New York City, New York
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 29, 2012

The room was comfortable despite being located in an Industrial area. Bring your own snacks and beverages to save money. The breakfast was hearty but the seating area was too crowded with families. But overall a good place to stay right outside the city.

Room Tip: The hotel is located in somewhat of an industrial area so there aren't many places to walk.
  • Stayed May 2012, traveled as a couple
3 Thank sweets89
Trondheim, Norway
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 24, 2012

Me and my boyfriend stayed there for 2 nights in november last year. It was bad weather :) but the atmosphere in the hotel the service, the food was really good. The rooms are clean and nice. Nice located place.

• Stayed November 2011, traveled as a couple
3 Thank Lisbeth K
Laval, Canada
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 16, 2012

I stay in this hotel 2-3 times a year when I am coming in New York for a business.
The access is easy; the parking is free. To go to NY it takes only 2 minutes to Park'n Ride and then no more than 10 minutes to Port Authority.
The check in and check out process are very fast.
The rooms are spacious and in good condition. Try to avoid 408 (air conditioning intake is close to the bed and noisy).
The HOT breakfast is good. The hot items are rotating in 3 days.
Unfortunately, the price is going up every year, but it is still affordable for a business

• Stayed February 2012, traveled on business
4 Thank miccanada1
Mount Morris, Michigan
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 5, 2012

I am familiar with the area as I had previous stayed at a nearby hotel which I will never stay at again. I chose Comfort Suites because I would be in New York for 4 days and I wanted to do some shopping, see relatives in Brooklyn and most of all see "Porgy and Bess" at the Richard Rodgers Theatre. I have a daughter in a wheelchair so I had to take time to plan well. I drove from Michigan to New York, and had access to my own vehicle so I did not use the shuttle service. Access to Manhattan was very close and I did not mind paying the $12.00 for the Tunnel Toll, also I found a parking garage a block away from the theatre which was $27.00 with a coupon I had printed. ( I have since located the site www.parkwhiz.com which has even lower parking rates.

Now for my actual stay at the Hotel, the front desk staff were very warm, welcoming and friendly. I had a room located on the front so I was able to look out and see my vehicle. The breakfast each morning was great, and the host made sure that items were replaced without being asked. (The breakfast meat was sausage links, bacon, and sliced ham. There was plenty of fresh fruit, yogurt, toast, bagels, danishes, cold cereal, juices and coffee. (Of course I enjoyed making waffles each morning ~ blueberry and strawberry )

The room we had was very accommodating, two queen beds and a sofa sleeper. My daughter slept on the sofa sleeper because the bed was too high for her to get into. (I did not think at the time to see if they had a step stool and she could have stepped up to get into the bed). The room also had the microwave and refrigerator. The air conditioner was unplugged and I noticed the electrical tape on it, so I did not plug it in. (The room was okay). The next morning while we were out the cleaning staff plugged in the air conditioner and we almost froze. The room was clean and I am planning on returning to New York to see "A Streetcar Named Desire" and "Clybourne Park", and of course I will not look for another hotel. I plan on keeping Comfort Suites as my New York Hotel as it is close to shopping, the theatre district and my Brooklyn relatives.

• Stayed May 2012, traveled with family
4 Thank sigmastar
Tulsa, Oklahoma
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 22, 2012

Great place to stay for a New York shopping and sightseeing trip!! Located about 10 minutes from Manhattan via shuttle. If you don't want the cost of daily parking in New York, this is the best solution. About $15 per day for the shuttle to pick you up in the morning, take you to 41st & 7th St, just off 7th & Broadway & it will be back at the same place in the evening to take you back to the hotel!! Hotel is nice, comfortable, quiet, good breakfast & reasonable price. Front desk personnel was very friendly & helpful. Room safe, fridge & microwave in the room & they have WiFi. When I go back to New York in October 2012, this is where I'll be staying again!!!

Room Tip: Third floor room facing the north were great! No road traffic noise or hallway noise. Fairly large...
  • Stayed October 2011, traveled with family
4.5 of 5 stars 570 reviews
Hilton Garden Inn Secaucus / Meadowlands
Sheraton Lincoln Harbor Hotel
La Quinta Inn & Suites Secaucus Meadowlands

Been to Comfort Suites North Bergen? Share your experiences!