“Can't wait to stay here again for the next Phish NYE Run at MSG” 4 of 5 stars
Review of Super 8 North Bergen

You added Super 8 North Bergen to your Saves list
Super 8 North Bergen
2.0 of 5 Motel   |   2800 Columbia Avenue, 495 East & Lincoln Tunnel Rd, North Bergen, NJ 07047   |
Hotel deals
Special Offer
Plan Ahead and Save 15%
Ranked #3 of 7 Hotels in North Bergen
Clarks Summit, Pa
“Can't wait to stay here again for the next Phish NYE Run at MSG”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 3, 2011

When I found out in early October that I would be spending NYE at Madison Square Garden, I looked for a room in the city within walking distance and couldn't find anything under $350, and those that I did find were slightly larger than my closet. I checked out this Super 8 and booked a Suite with a king sized bed with hot tub for $225 instead. (and only $165 for 1/1)

Arrived around 5pm on NYE, checked in, found one of the last parking spots in a tight (and snowy - the city had gotten 2 feet of snow the previous weekend) parking lot, and opened the door to a beautiful room. HUGE room. Big, clean Jacuzzi. Nice big bed (although there was a plastic covering the mattress), which was firm and comfortable. Big plasma tv on a shivel so you could watch it from bed or from the tub on the other side of the room.

Getting into the city that late (6pm) on NYE was tricky. The lady at the desk suggested taking a cab to a PATH station and riding that into the city to beat the traffic that the shuttle bus might hit. She might have had a deal with a cab company to push this on people, but in the 10-15 minutes I was outside waiting for the cab, I didn't see the shuttle once that's supposed to go by every 10 minutes. So a $25 cab ride to the PATH station, and $3.50 for 2 PATH tickets to 33rd Street, and we made it from the hotel to MSG with time to spare.

Getting back to the hotel after the show was pretty easy... A short walk to the Port Authority. Bought 2 tickets to the 2:00AM bus #125 which was running until 2:40am for the holiday, found the gate for the bus just in time and got dropped off at the Toys R Us around 2:15. A five minute/one block walk later and we were back in the room filling up the hot tub.

The next day we did ride the shuttle into the city around 2PM and didn't have to wait long for it at all. After a 10-15 minute ride we arrived at the Port Authority and hit the bars. Caught another great show at MSG, walked back to the Port Authority and caught a different bus (#163) as the #125 wasn't running late that night, got dropped off a half block away from the Toys R Us... stopped at the Sonic on the way back (which is open until 2am on the weekends)... brought our food to the hotel that's only a half block away from there, and ate until we passed out.

Finding the busses and knowing where to get off was the hardest part of the trip, but once you do it once, you get the hang of it... and if you don't, the bus driver's will help you get to where you need to go.

• Stayed December 2010, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (43)
Spokane, Washington
3 of 5 stars Reviewed December 21, 2010

First of all, the hotel itself is not that bad. If you're staying here in hope of saving money though on a trip to see New York City, then don't do it. My mom and I stayed in this hotel. We had to take a cab from the airport (LaGuardia) to the hotel and then from the hotel back to the airport. These two cabs cost us $87 and $100!!!! Apparently, crossing the line into New Jersey jacks up cab costs. We also had to paid $5 a piece each day to get into the city and back. These transportation costs really added up and when we did the math, we figured we could have stayed at a cheap hotel near Times Square and paid more, but saved a bundle on transportation.

As for the hotel itself, it was very much a Super 8. You get what you pay for. The staff was nice enough, but no one really spoke good English. There was one women in particularly that I think was a manager. She was very nice and helpful, but I unfortunately didn't catch her name.

We elected not to have our room cleaned while we were there, since we were only there a week and we are clean people anyways. So I can't attest to the maid service. Though there was still a half drank water bottle in our fridge when we got there. Also, the towels had hair stuck to them. Otherwise, the room was pretty clean. We had a smoking room because nothing else was available. It didn't smell too bad, as far as smoking rooms go. It kind of smelled strongly of men's cologne though. The neighborhood is a little shady. We never really saw anything scary, but it doesn't hurt to be careful and aware of your surroundings.

There is a shuttle that picks up right in front of the hotel. It drops you off in the Port Authority Bus Terminal, only two blocks from Times Square. Getting off on the way back is a little more challenging. There are no marked bus stops. You have to yell "Next stop" for the driver to let you off. You must be vocal! Also, the closest you can get to the hotel on the way back is the Toys R' Us, which is about two blocks away and up a hill. Be warned that the buses are a little iffy. After a certain time of night and on weekends they apparently lock the gates to the normal pick up area in the terminal and pick you up across the street from the Bus Terminal. It's confusing and a little bit intimidating. The drivers generally don't speak great English, but it is a good idea to ask them if they are going where you want before getting on. Also, apparently you pay when you get off on the way into to town, but you pay when you get on going back into New Jersey. The cost is $2.50 each way per person. It's good to know that the area where your hotel is is referred to as Union City. No one seemed to know what I was talking about when I said North Bergen.

You very much get what you pay for in this hotel. It's nothing fancy. I would honestly suggest staying in Manhatten instead. You will more than make up for the extra cost thanks to savings in transportation, convenience, and peace of mind. But if you are a fairly well practiced traveler with a good head on your shoulders and you aren't looking for star treatment, then go ahead and go here.

• Stayed December 2010
ELIZABETHTOWN
4 of 5 stars Reviewed December 12, 2010

When we visit NYC, my wife and I usually we stay in Long Island City. But that's always a pain to get to, so this time we decided to stay just outside the city at the Super 8 in North Bergen, NJ and we were very satisfied with our choice.

Front desk (Check-in/check-out) - Friendly, helpful and efficient.

Room - Clean, no smells, no bedbugs, included a refrigerator and microwave.

Price - $75 - can't beat it for the NYC area

Noise level - Quiet, despite being right off Route 495.

Free Breakfast - Two cereals, waffles, glazed donuts, coffee, two juices, hard-boiled eggs, white bread for toast - perfectly fine for me.

Shuttle service to NYC - A relative bargain at $2.50 each way, with the shuttle van stopping right at the Super 8 for pick-up. Waited all of 30 seconds the first time and two minutes the second time to catch the van and it was great to leave the driving into the city to someone else for once.

Parking - free at the Super 8 until 3:00pm, which worked fine for us.

Berlin
3 of 5 stars Reviewed December 6, 2010

If you only want a place for the night to sleep before/after your NYC visit, this is probably ok. It's loud, not very comfortable, not clean - we even had dozens of ants in our room. But it's low priced, easy to reach by car and there's a convenient and low-priced shuttle bus service to Times Square.

Quebec City, Canada
1 of 5 stars Reviewed November 24, 2010

To start off, I would like to mention that we have enjoyed my stay in numerous Super 8 hotels and have booked multiple times at this Super 8 motel for all my NYC trips. All the times we booked at the Super 8 motel have been hassle free except, sadly, our last stay. We were greatly disappointed with the service to say the least.

The issues started when we were back from NYC and looking forward to a good night’s sleep to tackle the day ahead of us. Unfortunately, right before going to bed, I discovered a cockroach sitting by the pillows on the bed. After briefly checking our luggage and getting dressed, we made our way to the front desk to sort the situation out.

When we got to the front desk, we mentioned to the clerk, who barely spoke English, that we found a cockroach in our room. After a little hesitation he offered to send someone to check it out and spray the room with what seemed to be insect poison. We then insisted that we are not going to stay in the same room and that we demand he relocates us to another room on the other side of the motel. After waiting a few minutes and witnessing the clerk taking payment from a customer that rented a room on an hourly basis, he found us a smoking room and told us it was the only thing he had left. Irritated and unimpressed by the service, we told him that we would take the room because we didn’t seem to have any other options.

We were accompanied by a motel employee, who didn’t speak English at all, on our way back to our original room to pack our luggage. He saw the cockroach and took it out of the room to spray it. While we were packing, the front desk called the room and informed us that they found a non-smoking room that will be ready in 30minutes if we wanted it. We accepted and packed our belongings in the car.

We headed back to the front desk to pick up the key to the new room and this is where the service took a turn for the worse. After getting the key to the room, Paula, who seemed to be the manager on duty, started arguing with us and raising her voice to tell us that no one saw any cockroach. After explaining to her the situation and pointing her to the employee that accompanied us and got rid of the insect, she toned down a bit and informed us that she will look into the situation. She justified her behaviour by telling us that she wasn’t up to date with the situation because she was previously with another client.

After witnessing such poor service, getting yelled at and having to argue with the manager about the reason of our dissatisfaction, we wanted a refund for the night and the next night that we were supposed to stay at the motel. Paula refused to give us a refund for the current night and informed us that we might not get a refund for the next night either and threatened to kick us out without a refund if we didn’t sign a handwritten note she had just written that stated that we have been moved from our old room to a new room, that we are completely satisfied with the service and that we will not complain about the situation any longer.

Extremely frustrated, we go back to our new room and decide to spend the night and leave early in the morning and head home, shortening our vacation by one day. We decide to go inform the front desk of our decision and demand a refund for the night that we will not be staying at the motel. There was now a different clerk to whom we briefly explained the situation and informed him that we want a refund. He told us that there are no managers at the motel for the moment and to come back in the morning to get a refund because refunds are out of the scope of his duties.

With a very poor stay and all around disgusted feeling about the cleanness of the motel, we go back to the front desk at 6:30am to discuss a refund with the manager. When we get there, the same clerk that told us to come back in the morning the night before was at the front desk. He informs us that the manager has not arrived yet and that she will not be there until 11:00am. Getting irritated with the whole situation, we inform him that we are not going to wait until 11:00am to get a refund and that he will need to call someone or get someone that can help him with our demand. After insisting, he informs us that the manager will be there at 9:00am. After insisting a little more, he tells us she will be there at 8:00am. Still unsatisfied, we tell him that we will stay in the lobby until the manager arrives to deal with the situation.

After waiting one hour and thirty minutes in the lobby, the clerk asks us to advance to the front desk so he can speak with us. He informs us that he was on the phone with the manager and now tells us he can do the refund (after insisting numerous times that it was not in the scope of his responsibilities the night before). After refunding us the night, he too took a piece of paper and wrote a note stating that we are satisfied with the settlement and that we will not complain to anyone about the whole situation and insisted we sign it. We sign the note and leave, very disappointed in how this situation was handled. Also, very disappointed in the sketchy management techniques used by the staff by having the customer sign hand written notes that state he will not complain about the situation to no one and renting out rooms on an hourly basis to customers.

I do not understand how this motel carries the Super 8 sign but it is in NO WAY up to par with any other Super 8s we have stayed at. This is not an acceptable way to deal with clients or to manage a motel with a reputable name. This experience has, for us, tarnished the Super 8 name in such a way that we do not intend to stay in another Super 8 for any of our future travelling. This is very disappointing because when we usually stay in a Super 8, we usually get great, friendly service at an excellent price and that is why we chose Super 8 as our logging option. This motel does not, in any means, represent or come close to the quality of stay we usually experience at a Super 8 Hotel or Motel and urge Super 8 to investigate the sketchy management of this particular Super 8 Motel.

• Stayed November 2010, traveled as a couple
London, United Kingdom
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 23, 2010

I stayed for 2 nights with my sister. We found the neighbourhood to be quite safe, along a busy main road downhill from Toys R Us (tell the bus driver to stop there). Service seemed okay, although usually in the absence of a smile. The hotel was really great value for money - the rooms were spotless and came with large plasma screen TV with 2000 channels: if i stayed there longer, i would have made great use of that! The bathrooms were very clean, though bring your own soap as the one they provided may irritate your skin as it did mine.

Breakfast was simple but good enough; a buffet of cereal/waffles/toast/boiled eggs or.... donuts. there was juice and tea/coffee as well.

Overall we had a good experience of Super 8. We would have paid more for this, it was great value for money considering that going slightly closer to NYC costs you so much more!

• Stayed November 2010, traveled with friends
Worcester, Massachusetts
1 of 5 stars Reviewed November 18, 2010

I left the hotel and in the afternoon my husband called on my cellphone telling me that the hotel had called and left a message (a person that seems to have a heavy indian accent) that the hair dryer was missing, to call back the hotel otherwise they would be calling the police to start the procedure of stolen item. First of all, as far I remember the hair dryer was attached to the wall. Second of all I don't think is good business practice to threaten your clients of "we will call the police" before you even talk to the client. I felt very violated by this! I did called back the hotel immediately after I got my husband's phone call and asked to talk to the manager, which wasn't there. A girl called Paula talked to me, and when I asked what was the manager's name, she refused to give the name just saying, his name is Nick, but we don't provide last name. I asked her to have her manager call me. Nobody did.

On the following Monday I called again, in the morning and asked to talk to Bridget, asked for the manager, which wasn't there again. I ask what was the manager's name she said "Paula". Which was quite disturbing to me, Paula was the first girl I talked to on the Saturday when I called back. I asked her to Bridget if they had different manager thought out the day, she said yes, but she mentioned Nick as a manager.
Bridget wanted to know what was about, and I explained to her, my husband asked to have her manager or the franchise owner to call him at his cellphone. About an hour later a woman called him and explained the situation, she appologized and asked if I remembered seing the hairdryer on the room. Which my husband said... "you guys need to keep track of that, not us... but in any case, you don't threat a person, I'll call the police over missing a hair dryer, especially on a voice message"... We are very disapointed with the whole incident, and even though they changed completelly the conversation and tone after we said we would call Super 8 Corporate... we definetely are not recommneding this particular hotel to anybody. As if I'd stay or recommend Super 8 in general, I'd say will depend the way the Corporate hands the situation, because I received an email to fill out a survey, I'm now curious to see if the Super 8 Corporate is more professional and that hotel in particular is run by people that are not professional or people that are trying to scamm people.

Also, I chose this hotel online based on reviews, I knew wasn't a fancy 5 starts hotel by any means, but people said that it was clean, easy accessible to NYC. Which it was!!! Other than the whole incidente of being called a thief and threatem to Police charges and be treated as a if I was in a no start estabilishment, the hotel stay was good value for the money, or I should say " I got what I paid for".
I'm posting this review of my experience to ensure that other people know about how my experience was and hopefully don't go through what happened to me.

• Stayed October 2010, traveled on business

Been to Super 8 North Bergen? Share your experiences!