“Worst Hotel Stay EVER!” 1 of 5 stars
Review of Super 8 North Bergen

You added Super 8 North Bergen to your Saves list
Super 8 North Bergen
2.0 of 5 Motel   |   2800 Columbia Avenue, 495 East & Lincoln Tunnel Rd, North Bergen, NJ 07047   |
Ranked #2 of 7 Hotels in North Bergen
Chicago, Illinois, United States
“Worst Hotel Stay EVER!”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed October 1, 2012

I have worked in customer service/management for over 15 years and never have I been treated so poorly or seen a staff so rude and condescending. My wife and I chose this hotel because of its proximity to downtown NYC. That being said, its closeness to Manhattan was its only positive quality. When we arrived late on a Thurs evening to check in I was told they could not locate my reservation. Fortunately, I have learned to be prepared while traveling so I brought in my printed confirmation from the car. After looking this over the front desk clerk proceeded to tell me my reservation had been cancelled earlier that day because they tried to pre-charge my credit card for my stay and the card wouldn't authorize. I thought this was odd because I had just used my card to rent a car and had no problems, so I asked him to verify the card #. The information he gave me did NOT match my information. Furthermore, I had also reserved a non-smoking room and the room he claimed they had for me was smoking. He also had no record of my Wyndham Rewards #. He acted like he was doing me a huge favor by getting me a room for ONE night (my reservation had been for TWO) at a much HIGHER RATE and said the manager could probably fix the situation when she came in the morning. My wife and I proceeded to our room which was barely large enough to contain the bed and small endtables. In an effort to make it seem bigger, one wall had been covered by a floor length mirror. The room smelled musty and kind of dank. The next morning my wife and I went down to the breakfast area which was a small room (8' x 12'). About 20 people were crammed in this small space holding their food and drink while eating their food prison-style. There was only enough sitting area for six people (and these spots were full) but no one left this area even to step outside the front door because of large signs posted by the hotel which said NO FOOD IS ALLOWED TO LEAVE THIS AREA. So we stood in this small, hot, smelly room just like everyone else and tried to enjoy our breakfast but that wasn't possible. Back to the matter of our reservation, I came back down to the lobby about 20 minutes later to speak with the manager but was told she was on a phone call. I spoke with the front desk clerk - Bridget - who asked what I wanted and after listening to my situation she told me no one would be able to fix my rate (or honor my reservation) but if I was willing to make another reservation right then and there she could get me in for one more night at an EVEN HIGHER RATE! At this point I walked down the block and checked rates at several nearby hotels and was able to make a reservation for less money at a much nicer hotel. After coming back to the Super 8 I was finally able to speak with the manager - Krystal. She listened to my story and proceeded to tell me the same thing as Bridget. There was never an admission of a mistake, no apology, and no attempt to adjust my rate from the night before. When I asked for her boss she told me that they do not handle customer complaints at the local level and if I wanted to pursue this matter further I must contact Super 8's customer care line. I can't stress enough to anyone who reads this, DO NOT STAY AT THIS MOTEL!! Whether your stay is personal, business, or otherwise it will ruin your trip. Travelers beware!!!!!! :-(

Room Tip: Do not stay at this hotel - it does not live up to Super 8's normal standards! However, if this...
  • Stayed September 2012, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (42)
BARBING
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 1, 2012

Sorry, but my english is very poor. I can only a little bit speak english. I come from Germany an it is difficult for me, to find the right words for this review. But i has benn more times in USA. Last week I was in the southwes of USA (California, Nevada, Utah, Arizona) and I was visiting different motels. Your Super8 ind North Bergen was the best Super8, what I ever have visit.

• Stayed September 2012, traveled with friends

Review collected in partnership with Super 8

New York, New York, United States
1 of 5 stars Reviewed September 26, 2012

I would never recommend this hotel. The staff is rude and unaccommodating. I did not stay at this hotel, but my car was on the verge of breaking down on the approach to the Lincoln Tunnel and I had to do an emergency pulloff - this hotel was the only place for me to park while I waited for emergency assistance. I spoke with their front desk manager and he refused to let me park in their parking lot - even though it was 30% filled and 6 pm on a Sunday night. Instead of helping - or at the least letting me PARK while I waited for a tow truck - he threatened to tow and impound my vehicle if I did not move it.

This type of behavior is not only bad business, it's bad values. If this is how they treat someone in need, it says very little about them as people -let alone proprietors of a hotel.

I would never support a business that treats people like this - and I hope whomever reads this review feels the same way.

• Stayed September 2012, traveled solo
Cambridge, Canada
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 25, 2012

Visiting NYC can be expensive because of the cost of hotels. This hotel proves it doesn't have to be. We were reluctant to stay in New Jersey while visiting NYC but friends convinced us to give the Super 8 a try. The hotel was clean, the breakfast was adequate and the price was great. In 5 days of traveling on the $3 shuttle bus we never waited more than a minute. A good deal.

• Stayed June 2012, traveled with family
Chester, United Kingdom
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 17, 2012

I was struggling to find a cheap hotel in the city at short notice. There is a bus service all day which stops right outside this hotel and goes into Manhattan for a very small cost. Basic hotel, cleanliness ok and beds are comfortable. For the price....I was very satisfied.

• Stayed October 2011, traveled with friends
Columbus OH
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 6, 2012

I stayed for 3 nights / 4 days at this hotel and it was very good and plesant stay.
Continental breakfast was free and good with good options.
Shuttle comes/stops right outside the hotel. If none stops, just wave a hand at these privately owned ones and they quickly move over to pick you up. On an avg. you find a shuttle for every 10min and takes you to the 42nd street... almost next to Times square.
You can hop back in at 41st or around that block and very convinient.
Room was clean and bed was made everyday. No complaints for the price you pay.

• Stayed August 2012, traveled with family
Montreal, Canada
2 of 5 stars Reviewed September 6, 2012

We stayed at this hotel in August and I was not thrilled with it at first (room AC was off so it was humid and smelly when we got to the room) and I did not like that it was a motel (i.e. outdoor access to your room). But the main reason we had chosen this motel was how close it is to Manhattan and we got all we wanted there. We never had to wait more than 3 minutes for the shuttle in front the motel to pick us up (3$). And at night although it is a bit creepy looking to go down the stair at port authority to get to the shuttle it was actually really safe. The shuttle waits to be full which isnt usually more than a few minutes and then takes 10 minutes to bring you two blocks away from the motel. Back to the room, there is sometimes a little bit of noise but really nothing to keep you from sleeping. The bathroom was overall clean but you could see little black spots (meldew?) at the bottom of the shower curtain... The bed was not comfortable, the fridge was big enough to bring back some food and drinks from the grocery store across the street (you can walk there), the TV was flatscreen but did not work consistently(it would sometimes freeze for minutes at a time), the wifi is free and worked well.

The bottom line: it is very close to Manhattan, the breakfast is not much but still free and the rooms are clean. If you are not picky and are just looking to crash after a long day this is the place for you.

• Stayed August 2012, traveled as a couple

Been to Super 8 North Bergen? Share your experiences!