“OK Pub Grub” 3 of 5 stars

Description: 973-383-4091
Highland Lakes, New Jersey
“OK Pub Grub”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed December 4, 2011

O'Reilly's is OK pub food, but they try and push their Irish fair. Irish food? Boiled potatoes and Shepherd's Pie? Sorry. No interest. Go elsewhere. There are much better restaurant choices in the area.

Visited February 2011

Southern NJ
“Not Much of a Lunch”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed January 21, 2011

We needed a place to go for lunch after completing some business at the NJ motor vehicle agency. My father-in-law said he had wanted to try O'Reilly's, which was nearby. We had no great expectations of the place, but what we received was poor indeed.

I specifically asked the server if they had Diet Coke and she said yes. The beverage she brought me tasted nothing like Diet Coke, so I asked her if it was Diet Coke. She replied that she thought I just said "diet" and that it was RC. Yuck. No wonder it didn't taste like Diet Coke! In its place I asked for unsweetened ice tea which had some bizarre taste to it. I wound up with water and made sure the $2 was taken off the bill.

My father-in-law ordered the P and P burger, Portobello mushrooms and provolone cheese. And they will actually cook it rare, although there is a health disclaimer on the menu. He enjoyed his burger which was cooked rare as requested. We each tried one of accompanying fries, and I stopped after 1/2 a fry--not worth the calories!

My husband and I are on restricted diets, so we opted for Caesar salads. No diet dressings were available, and the vinegar the server brought with the oil was your basic cheap red wine vinegar. Still, that was better than the gloppy Caesar dressing that my husband got. Still not sure how it was a Caesar salad, as there was no anchovy, no lemon, just some Kraft-like Parmesan cheese and a few random croutons over really pathetic Romaine lettuce pieces. I ordered mine with a piece of grilled salmon which was ok.

So for those who want a beer and a burger, O'Reilly's might be ok. Anyone who wants a real Diet Coke and a nice salad should go elsewhere.

• Visited January 2011