“An Excellent Pre&Post Stay” 5 of 5 stars

Special Offer
Stay in NJ, Play in NY
Ranked #9 of 21 hotels in Newark
Charlottesville, Virginia
“An Excellent Pre&Post Stay”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 14, 2013

I had the chance to stay at this Doubletree before and after my trip a few weeks ago...

You have to go to Station P4, to pick up the shuttle, it will not pick you up anywhere else (just to clarify to anyone not familiar) the shuttle leaves the hotel every 20 minutes (:00, :20, :40)

The ride from P4 to the hotel etc is around 5-8 minutes...

When I arrived at the front desk I was met by Shawn (a very friendly and football looking person), he was very nice and got me checked in and put on a Hilton Honors Floor (7th Floor before & 6th floor post)

He was also able to round up some fruit and yogurt for me so I would have when having to leave the hotel at 4am for my flight the first morning, and they were very nice about getting me picked up at 12:30 a.m. on the return of my trip..

Both rooms I had were very modern, comfortable and clean...

The hotel boasts an indoor pool, and even some rooms have indoor balconies that overlook the front lobby and pool..(which is kinda cool)

Never had the chance to try out the restaurant or anything else..

I did see that it was weird you couldn't charge anything from the gift shop to you room, when it's a mere 20 steps to the front desk..anyhow...

A great stay, and I would return next time I'm in the area...

Room Tip: There are rooms that face the airport or the back of the building, never heard any airplane noise...
  • Stayed November 2013, traveled on business
Brian C, General Manager at DoubleTree by Hilton Hotel Newark Airport, responded to this review, November 15, 2013
Thank you very much for taking the time to write such a great review of our hotel! I appreciate all of the details you outlined, especially those of the Front Desk associate who assisted you. It is our primary goal to exceed our guests expections each and every time. We value your business and look forward to being of service to you in the near future when traveling and trust you will select The DoubleTree by Hilton Newark Airport as your home away from home!

362 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (67)
Cleveland, OH
3 of 5 stars Reviewed November 11, 2013

My girlfriend and I stayed at the DoubleTree by Hilton Newark airport after a weekend in the city and before catching our flight back home.

We started with the AirTrain ad NY Penn Station, then an easy connection to P4 at the Newark airport and a short shuttle ride to the hotel.

The gentleman at the front desk was efficient, quick and very pleasant during our check-in -- sharing a common interest and just generally being a very relaxing welcoming. Had that been where the stay ended, it would have been excellent.

Unfortunately it didn't, and there were a series of minor disappointments that stacked up making the room barely adequate fore one night.
- The gift shop lacks the ability to charge purchases to the room (I've never seen a hotel gift shop that can't charge to the room) -- and in fact, the charges appeared on my credit card as being made at a Sheraton.
- Rooms (at least #533) are incredibly noisy -- not "airplane flying overhead noisy" (which I expected from an airport hotel, but didn't encounter) but "guy next door talking on phone, people walking down hallway talking, and icemaker rattling out ice cubes at all hours of the night" noisy. I honestly don't think I've stayed in a nosier room.
- My girlfriend swears she heard someone playing the bag pipes. I only heard it faintly and couldn't be certain it was bag pipes -- but still -- I've never heard such a racket.
- The alarm clock was missing the power cord and basically dead. I called the front desk "someone will be right up". 45 minutes later I took the alarm clock down to the front desk since we wanted to get ready for bed. "Someone's bringing a new one up right now". 15 minutes after I returned to the room we got a working alarm clock (how did housekeeping not notice?)
- Speaking of electrical -- one of the table lamps had a power cord spliced together with wire nuts and electrical tape. Not exactly confidence inspiring.
- Our view on a "Hilton HHonors floor" (and as a Diamond HHonors member) was through 18" tall windows of roof-top air conditioning units and debris blowing across the roof.
- The wallpaper in the bathroom was peeling.

Had I not been so exhausted I probably would have just requested a new room -- but all we really wanted to do was sleep. And had the room not been so noisy, it would have been good sleep.

• Stayed November 2013, traveled as a couple
Freddy H, Manager at DoubleTree by Hilton Hotel Newark Airport, responded to this review, November 12, 2013
Our staff will be quite pleased to know that they were able to meet your expectations of service, and that you enjoyed the shuttle service and location of the hotel.
We’re very sorry you were unhappy with our guest rooms. We will take your comments under consideration as we continually work to improve our guest experience. We hope you will consider staying with us in the future.
Philadelphia, United States
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 11, 2013

Some trouble getting to the Neward Airport Hilton. Not good signage, but staff was very good and accomodations were great. I'd stay again. They did offer a refrigerator, but my room did not have one. Frontage road signs need to be visable from highway off the toll road. You could miss this very easily. Be careful when paying toll coming from 78 west, stay far right and 2nd to left stay strsaight, then turn right off the road. Can be tricky. We went around and around 3 times before being able to get off.

• Stayed November 2013, traveled as a couple

Review collected in partnership with DoubleTree by Hilton

Thank you so much for taking the time to write the great review! I appreciate all of the details. We are very happy that you you enjoyed your stay! Thank you for noticing the helpfullness of the staff. We really strive to exceed our guests expectations! Also, we are working on putting more signage on the road. Or you may call us, our transporation department will give you easy driving directions.
Brussels, Belgium
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 10, 2013

On our first trip to New York we preferred to stay at Double Tree Hotel at NJ. We were very welcomed by the staff who are for me the gates of welcoming the customers. My special thanks to Engin and Rahmi.

• Stayed November 2013, traveled with family

Review collected in partnership with DoubleTree by Hilton

THANK YOU!! For recognizing our amazing staff!! It is such a joy to work with each of them on a daily basis. Engin and Rahmi are great at what they do. I appreciate that you noticed! We are glad that you enjoyed the rest of the hotel as well. I do hope that we have the opportunity to welcome you back and call you our guest once again.
new york
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 8, 2013

We loved the convenience of leaving our car and getting a shuttle to airport. No waiting either for the shuttle, it ran every 15 minutes. The staff was very helpful and friendly. The cost was low. If we had to leave our car at the airport it would of cost double.

• Stayed October 2013, traveled as a couple

Review collected in partnership with DoubleTree by Hilton

Thank you for sharing your experience with other travelers. It is always good to know that loation of our hotel was to your like as well as our staff . We want to create a memorable stay for our guests and it is good to know that we reached this goal during your stay with us. We will be looking forward to your future stays
Dyer, Indiana, United States
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 7, 2013

Check-in to check-out my stay was very comfortable! We watched sports, had room service and thoroughly enjoyed our stay! The staff was very friendly. The rooms were very clean and we especially loved ALL the pillows!

• Stayed November 2013, traveled with friends

Review collected in partnership with DoubleTree by Hilton

Freddy H, Manager at DoubleTree by Hilton Hotel Newark Airport, responded to this review, November 8, 2013
Thank you so much for taking the time to write the great review! I appreciate all of the details. We are very happy that you enjoyed your stay! Thank you for noticing the helpfullness of the staff, room service and guest room. We really strive to exceed our guests expectations!
White Plains MD, United States
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 6, 2013

Enjoyed our stay due in part to ease of check-in, professional courtesies extended by staff. Rooms and ambiance were nice. Returning to the hotel, from the west, is a bit cumbersome but I gladly recommend this property.

• Stayed November 2013, traveled with family

Review collected in partnership with DoubleTree by Hilton

Brian C, General Manager at DoubleTree by Hilton Hotel Newark Airport, responded to this review, November 8, 2013
All of us here at the DoubleTree by Hilton Newark Airport would like to thank you for writing on our tripadvisor page after your recent stay at our hotel. The comments from our guests are very important to us so that we can find out if we are achieving our goals in providing service to you or so that we can find out how to improve our service. We realize that you do have a choice of hotels and would like to thank you for choosing our DoubleTree to be your home away from home and hope you will continue to do so.

Been to DoubleTree by Hilton Hotel Newark Airport? Share your experiences!