“Watch out for the "Express check out" paper” 4 of 5 stars

Special Offer
Stay in NJ, Play in NY
Ranked #11 of 21 Hotels in Newark
Rohnert Park, United States
“Watch out for the "Express check out" paper”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 18, 2013

Everything was great about the stay until I received a note at my door telling me I was checking out a full day earlier than what I had booked! I called the front desk, and the woman told me she was having computer problems and would call me back as soon as they were resolved. She did not call me back. My reservation had been fixed by the time I went to the front desk in person, but they left me hanging unnecessarily.

• Stayed October 2013, traveled as a couple

Review collected in partnership with DoubleTree by Hilton

Freddy H, Manager at DoubleTree by Hilton Hotel Newark Airport, responded to this review, October 23, 2013
Thank you for your feedback and for choosing our hotel. We’re sorry you encountered express check out problems. We have discussed this with our front desk staff and will make every effort to be sure our staff meet the highest check in/out standards. Please give us a second chance if you visit our area in the future.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (92)
TORONTO
3 of 5 stars Reviewed October 17, 2013

Came with a group tour here. The check in was a breeze. The front desk staff were very nice and so were the free cookies Great treats!

The information small desk area right when you came in, the Indian man who was at that desk was very rude and did not help us in directions to New York City. We asked several questions and were given not precise answers which was very unhelpful. No maps or brochures' were given when asked. My advice is even if you are having a bad put on a smile this ruins the image for a Hilton Hotel Chain. The great shuttle bus driver we asked went to that same desk to grab us a paper with all the directions and helped us on our was we were very very impressed with the Shuttle Service.

PROS:
Rooms were quite bigger than expected and free bottled water is a nice touch
24 hour free shuttle service to the airport
Free Cookies
Indoor Pool was amazing (Very nice and clean)
Gym huge and great equipment
Front desk and Shuttle very nice and helpful
Reception area was very welcoming and nice
Very nice décor

CONS:
-Wifi needs to be paid for (Nowadays it should be free)
-Elevators came down slow and wait times can be real clogged up.
-The pillows were way too soft!
-Gift shop closes at 10pm (You should set up some vending machines)

Overall enjoyed my stay. Would I come back? Possibly yes but because of no free wifi in room I would either go to Marriott chains.

Room Tip: Stay on a high floor. Make sure you room isn't on the same floor as the conference or party room...
  • Stayed October 2013, traveled with friends
Freddy H, Manager at DoubleTree by Hilton Hotel Newark Airport, responded to this review, October 18, 2013
I appreciate your review of your recent experience at our hotel. I'm very sorry that you were treated with an undesirable level of service. I have addressed these issues with the staff. Also, we forward your kind comment to our shuttle driver and front desk. The next time you are in Newark we would love to have you come back and experience a better level of customer service. Thank you once again for your comments.
Bath, United States
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 17, 2013

Your bar has terrible service. Employees kept looking at us but no service. Someone else sat next to us at the bar but did not receive service either. The other two people at the bar said the service was very poor. we waited 15 minutes and left. We were acknowledged when we entered. But no one would wait on us. We were told by someone else at the bar service was better at the Ramada next door. So we walked there. We were greeted and served right away. The room was clean and ready when we got there.

• Stayed October 2013, traveled as a couple

Review collected in partnership with DoubleTree by Hilton

I appreciate your review of your recent experience at our hotel and restaurant. We’re very sorry you experienced an undesirable stay and level of customer service with us. The problems you mentioned with the restaurant service have been addressed. We appreciate you alerting us to this issue and we hope you will give us a second chance if you return to the area.
Houston, Texas
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 15, 2013 via mobile

We booked this hotel because we had an early morning flight the next day. I was pleasantly surprised with the hotel. They offer a free shuttle to and from the airport which is great. Our check in was quick and easy and the cookies we received at check in were warm and delicious. Our room was nice and big, no complaints. The hotel had an indoor pool which would have been great if we were staying longer. We decided to go to Times Square and the concierge was great in advising us the best way to get there. If you plan on going out to get food there aren't any restaurants within walking distant. So be prepared to take a taxi or order room service.

Stayed October 2013, traveled with friends
Brian C, General Manager at DoubleTree by Hilton Hotel Newark Airport, responded to this review, October 18, 2013
All of us here at the DoubleTree by Hilton Newark Airport would like to thank you for writing on our tripadvisor page after your recent stay at our hotel. The comments from our guests are very important to us so that we can find out if we are achieving our goals in providing service to you or so that we can find out how to improve our service. We realize that you do have a choice of hotels and would like to thank you for choosing our DoubleTree to be your home away from home and hope you will continue to do so.
Norwalk, Connecticut
1 of 5 stars Reviewed October 14, 2013

I don't think I ever gave one star for a hotel mainly because I review hotels on relative scale and a "bad" hotel generally comes with lower price tag, which alleviates my grievances. but this hotel is a bit more than disappointing.

Background:
Stayed here with my sister for a night. Checked in late around 11 PM, and the front desk gave us room 317

Pro:
1. Looks ok. exterior, inside the hotel, indoor pool.
2. Cookies were good
3. Surprisingly spacious
4. Courteous concierge desk/

Con:
1. Multiple spiders in bathroom
2. The noise- the problem is that the front desk gave us a room that was right next to a huge "conference" area which appeared to have non stop partying well past midnight (this is 10/12). Our room was literally right next to the party, and we could hear people running down the hallway back and forth. I have nothing against them since music can get loud when you have something to celebrate. We all have that moment. My main beef is the front desk who gave us that room even though 1) we had reservation before 2) most likely knew of the event. Not sure how to think of this other than lack of customer service.

This is an airport hotel. People in generally don't expect many bells and whistles from an airport hotel. They do however expect a solid sleep. If you can't even get that, what purpose does this place serve..?

Room Tip: avoid room 317 just to play safe
  • Stayed October 2013, traveled with family
Freddy H, Manager at DoubleTree by Hilton Hotel Newark Airport, responded to this review, October 15, 2013
I sincerely apologize for the noise issue encountered during your stay. Your comfort and safety is my number one concern so I appreciate you bringing this to my attention and your review will assist in correcting issues in the future. I do hope that the next time you are in Newark you will consider staying with us again. Thank you.
Davie, Florida
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 14, 2013

Used concierge for a couple questions and recommendations (food and directions); all GREAT, very friendly. Not sure what happened with the hotel bar at 5pm on a Tuesday but every table was dirty - looked like they didn't plan for people to be there. Breakfast staff also quite pleasant. Much nicer hotel (cleanliness and friendliness) compared to the Hilton (I know, same "brand"). The only thing is that nothing is included (breakfast, parking, internet).

• Stayed October 2013, traveled on business

Review collected in partnership with DoubleTree by Hilton

Thank you so much for the great feedback. We will make sure that the appropriate department head receives your kind comments. If you come to this area next time, I would like to offer you a discount parking. We are looking forwarding to welcoming you back to our hotel.
Oakland, CA
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 13, 2013

This is a very decent airport hotel.
I arrived without a reservation and was well taken care of.
The lobby is the type of design that Hyatt made famous in their Regency locations with soaring ceilings and glass elevators.
The work out room is big enough and well enough equipped to cover most of what you would want on a business trip.

• Stayed September 2013, traveled on business
Freddy H, Manager at DoubleTree by Hilton Hotel Newark Airport, responded to this review, October 14, 2013

Been to DoubleTree by Hilton Hotel Newark Airport? Share your experiences!