“Spacious room” 3 of 5 stars

Ranked #13 of 16 Hotels in Newark
San Jose, California
“Spacious room”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed May 11, 2013

Stay here during my tour in the East Coast. They are under renovation but overall the hotel lobby is very spacious and the room are spacious too. Only if they have free wi-fi, it can definitely make my stay even more enjoyable! Rooms are clean and beds are comfortable.

• Stayed May 2013, traveled with family
Brian C, General Manager at DoubleTree by Hilton Hotel Newark Airport, responded to this review, May 13, 2013
All of us here at the DoubleTree by Hilton Newark Airport would like to thank you for writing on our TripAdvisor page after your recent stay at our hotel. The comments from our guests are very important to us. They let us know if we are achieving our goals in providing the type of service they've come to expect or occasionally on how we can improve upon our service. We realize that you have a choice in hotels when making your plans. Thank you for choosing our DoubleTree Hotel to be your home away from home and we look forward to being of service to you in the future.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (100)
Shanghai, China
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 9, 2013

We don't need to worry about transportation as it was provided by the hotel. The Driver,Lito, was friendly and the front desk staff were all helpful. My daughter and I stayed overnight, upon checking-in we were given hot chocolate chip cookies and once we're settled in our room, we don't feel like going out anymore because the place is very comfy, clean and spacious. We have the things that we need inside. But still decided to go out for dinner, while waiting for the bus to arrive, we explored the ground floor a bit. There's a souvenir shop, a corner where I can print my itinerary for free and there was a beverage stand with hot apple cider drink for guests to beat the chilly evening, once our bus arrives, we headed New Jersey Mall, the transportation going there was provided by the hotel but going back, I need to pay $9 through the mall reception area. The Mall is huge and a lot of selections of clothes, shoes, food, etc.Going back to the Hotel was easy because the driver gave a brochure showing what time the buses arrive and depart. In the morning, we have breakfast buffet included in our booking and upon passing by the front desk, we're given another cookie! the buffet breakfast has a wide array of food to choose from. there were cereal,fruits, muffins, english breads, cookies, egg cooked the way you like it, sausages,bacons, hashed potates, unlimited juice and coffee,pancakes,toast, etc. If we ever have a trip to NJ again, we will definitely go back to Doubletree by Hilton.

• Stayed November 2012, traveled with family
Brian C, General Manager at DoubleTree by Hilton Hotel Newark Airport, responded to this review, May 9, 2013
Thank you for staying with us. We recognize you have many choices in area hotels and I am extremely grateful that you have selected ours for this stay. We are striving for excellence and for whatever reason you feel that your stay was less than perfect , I would like to hear from you. Please call me directly on my cell phone or send me an email prior to leaving our hotel.

Warm Regards,
Tampa, Florida
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 8, 2013

Although the hotel is under renovation (changing from a Sheraton to a DoubleTree), it was exactly right for us. We were spending one night there during a short trip to New York City. Using the airport shuttle and the train to the city worked perfectly.
Room was great, we got a friendly greeting from the manager when we arrived, shuttle (which we used four times) was efficient and on-time, bar was a great place to finish up the evening, and the price was right. And, imagine our surprise when we returned to our room to find a fruit and cheese tray and a bottle of wine (though I did mention we were celebrating my husband's birthday so maybe that was it)! We were in no way VIPs but perhaps management felt that construction downstairs warranted something extra. If the newly-renovated hotel keeps up this standard, it will be quite successful.

• Stayed May 2013, traveled as a couple

Warm Regards,
Long Beach
3 of 5 stars Reviewed May 6, 2013

I had previously stayed at the nearby Hilton, which was much more dated and noisy. The room had some good and bad elements. I liked the king sized bed, which was very comfortable, with nice linens. The room was very large. However, the bathroom was so small that it was a good thing I was traveling by myself. Fortunately, the bathroom was very clean.

I had a room facing towards Newark, instead of towards the airport or into the atrium. The front desk clerk had told me that I was in a room on a floor reserved for Hilton HHonors members. I think I had one of the worst views you could get, as I was right above the mechanical systems for air conditioning and venting for the restaurants and banquet rooms. I should have asked for an atrium room or a room on a floor higher than the 6th.

The only restaurant open for dinner was part of the bar. While the full menu was available, the seating at bar tables had barely enough room for my meal. I felt very squished.

The airport shuttle was offered at 20 minute intervals. While it dropped off at each terminal, the pick up is only at a common pick up area near the end of the airport shuttle train, so you have to take the AirTrain to get to that station.

I still get annoyed that Doubletree doesn't offer their cookies without nuts (for so many of us who are allergic to nuts). It's almost criminal to offer a warm chocolate chip cookie to someone who can't eat it.

Room Tip: While rooms on the back side of the hotel don't face the airport, and may be quieter, the view t...
  • Stayed May 2013, traveled on business
Wheeling, West Virginia, United States
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 6, 2013 via mobile

The hotel itself is very nice. Wifi is fast and easy to connect to. The rooms are up to Hilton standards, and the beds are wonderful. The staff was very helpful and very nice. The only thing I didn't care for was the fact that the pool was in the lobby and half of the rooms have windows that face the inclosed pool area. So if there are a lot of loud people in the lobby good luck falling asleep. So if you stay here ask for a room that faces the parking lots.

• Stayed May 2013

Warm regards,
Anchorage, United States
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 2, 2013

Great service by the hotel staff. Decent value for the price. They don't have a full on restaurant, but they do offer pub service in the bar (burgers, etc), and an excellent breakfast buffet in the Bistro. Renovation going on right now, so there are some areas to avoid, but overall an excellent facility.

• Stayed April 2013, traveled with family

Review collected in partnership with DoubleTree by Hilton

BridgewaterHGI, Public Relations Manager at DoubleTree by Hilton Hotel Newark Airport, responded to this review, May 18, 2013
All of us here at the DoubleTree By Hilton Newark Airport would like to thank you for writing on our tripadvisor page after your recent stay at our Hotel. The comments from our guests are very important to us so that we can find out if we are achieving our goals in providing service to you or so that we can find out how to improve our service. If you have any comments that you would like us know about, please feel free to contact us directly. We realize that you do have a choice of hotels and would like to thank you for choosing our DoubleTree to be your home away from home and hope you will continue to do so
San Diego, United States
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 29, 2013

A nice room though not as nice as other DoubleTrees I've experienced. Got the delicious, warm cookie. The amenities were nice and staff courteous and helpful. Good double-paned windows made for a quiet stay.

• Stayed April 2013, traveled with family

Review collected in partnership with DoubleTree by Hilton

Been to DoubleTree by Hilton Hotel Newark Airport? Share your experiences!