“If only they had Updated clean rooms....” 3 of 5 stars

Special Offer
Plan ahead and save 20%
Ranked #13 of 16 Hotels in Newark
Baltimore, Maryland
“If only they had Updated clean rooms....”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed March 5, 2013

Old pitted faucets, peeling wallpapers at corners, stains, chips and rips in walls and on carpet. the rooms are badly in need of refreshing. you can also hear the people in the next room... perfectly. The gym and pool also need updating. If these things dont bother you, it is convenient if you are flying out of newark, and the beds are comfy and seem clean......The staff is very nice as is the restaurant. They just need to refresh it and it would be a gem.

• Stayed March 2013
BridgewaterHGI, Public Relations Manager at DoubleTree by Hilton Hotel Newark Airport, responded to this review, March 7, 2013
Thank you for staying with us at our hotel. We appreciate your candid review of our property. New perspectives about our hotel and our guestroom appearance help us make improvements to our guest experience on an ongoing basis. Please share any additional comments or suggestions with us any time.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (100)
runningman41
3 of 5 stars Reviewed March 1, 2013

I booked this hotel even after looking at the reviews to see first hand if they were true, and they were. While this is nice location and the staff is exceptional the rooms are way way outdated and are in a desperate need of an update, I know that they are working on it and I will come back to see the final product. I would recommend getting a room overlooking the pool as I heard these have been somewhat updated more than the 12 th floor. I will say that the bar area and especially Tim behind the bar made it worth the stay, food was excellent.

Room Tip: Overlook the pool area
  • Stayed March 2013, traveled on business
BridgewaterHGI, Public Relations Manager at DoubleTree by Hilton Hotel Newark Airport, responded to this review, March 4, 2013
Thank you for staying with us at our hotel. We appreciate your candid review of our property. New perspectives about our hotel and our guestroom appearance help us make improvements to our guest experience on an ongoing basis. However, I apologize for the inconveniences you experienced. Please share any additional comments or suggestions with us any time.
Miami, Florida
3 of 5 stars Reviewed February 25, 2013

If you are looking for a hotel near Newark, this is it. Not quite up to standards of other DoubleTree or Hilton properties. The room furnishings were a bit dated and the hotel lobby looked like something from a 1980's James Bond movie. None the less, it is a full service and very large hotel and even had an indoor pool. Noisy A/C and non-functioning phones in the room tells me this hotel does not keep up with maintenance.

Room Tip: Say you are allergic to carpeting and maybe you will get an upgraded room.
  • Stayed February 2013, traveled on business
BridgewaterHGI, Public Relations Manager at DoubleTree by Hilton Hotel Newark Airport, responded to this review, February 27, 2013
Thank you for writing a review about your recent stay at our hotel. We are very sorry you were unhappy with our guestrooms. We appreciate your feedback, and will keep your comments in mind while we work to improve our guest experience. We hope you’ll stay with us again soon and tell us what you think about our improvements.
New York, New York, United States
4 of 5 stars Reviewed February 25, 2013

I liked this hotel it was neat and clean. But they are charging for parking. Staff were good. I will visit this hotel again if I will visit NY. It is very near to path station where we used to park our cars.

• Stayed September 2012, traveled as a couple
Houston
3 of 5 stars Reviewed February 12, 2013

As others have mentioned, this hotel was previously owned by another hotel chain (Sheraton), and that shows in some areas of the hotel. This is not a bad hotel - it's just that I don't feel that it quite measures up to other Doubletrees that I have stayed in. Maybe once the renovations are completed it will.

I'll start with the positives. The location is very convenient to the airport (obviously) as well as to New York City. I was greeted promptly and the woman at the check-in counter was extremely polite, acknowledged me as a Hilton Gold member, and was very courteous, efficient and friendly. The lobby area is decent and very large.

The room itself is really what led me to give an "average" rating. My room definitely showed it's age. Furniture was on the shabby side, bed was not all that comfortable (not terrible though), and the bathroom was downright ugly. Wallpaper was peeling in spots, tile and grout were dirty from age. Also - hot water ran out on me just as I was finishing up a 10 minute shower - this was at about 8:30 am. Not sure what that was all about.

I ordered room service for dinner - it arrived pretty promptly and was decent, although the sandwich was definitely small.

So far I have stayed at the Doubletree, the Hilton, and the Hampton Inn at Newark airport. I would say this rates somewhere in between the Hilton and the Hampton, but significantly better than the Hampton.

Overall - relatively comfortable and OK for a short business stay but far from luxurious.

• Stayed February 2013, traveled on business
BridgewaterHGI, Public Relations Manager at DoubleTree by Hilton Hotel Newark Airport, responded to this review, February 14, 2013
Thank you for writing a review about your recent stay at our hotel. We are very sorry you were unhappy with our guestrooms. We appreciate your feedback, and will keep your comments in mind while we continue to work to improve our guest experience. We hope you’ll stay with us again soon and tell us what you think about our improvements.
Philadelphia, Pennsylvania
4 of 5 stars Reviewed February 9, 2013

We stayed at the DoubleTree before a flight to San Juan a couple of weeks ago. The rate we got on line about 3 months before was extremely good. And the room was large, clean and we had a small balcony overlooking the lobby/pool. I'm not sure when the prior negative reviews were written since I found none of the room criticisms valid in 01/2013. Desk staff were helpful & courteous (gave us directions to Hoboken for a night out before the flight). Shuttle to the airport on time & courteous. The only negative was that the pool was being repaired but since we were off to PR, it wasn't all that important.

Room Tip: Ask for a room with a blacony overlooking the pool/lobby if the rate isn't higher.
  • Stayed January 2013, traveled with friends
Chicago, Illinois
4 of 5 stars Reviewed February 1, 2013

This hotel is close to airport. It appears that it is undergoing some renovations. It's an older hotel with good bones. I found some evidence that the hotel is showing it's age. Some of the furniture was a little banged up. The grout work in the shower looked like an amateur did it. Couple of loose tiles in the bathroom that clicked when you stepped on them. Overall, I was quite pleased with my room. It was updated and cozy. Bed was inviting and comfortable. I saw evidence that the property was being improved (wet stain on doors, etc) Decent room service. Booked on Hotwire for $108 per night. Would definitely stay again.

• Stayed February 2013, traveled on business

Been to DoubleTree by Hilton Hotel Newark Airport? Share your experiences!