“Great Place” 4 of 5 stars

Ranked #9 of 21 hotels in Newark
Philadelphia, Pennsylvania
“Great Place”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed February 9, 2013

We stayed at the DoubleTree before a flight to San Juan a couple of weeks ago. The rate we got on line about 3 months before was extremely good. And the room was large, clean and we had a small balcony overlooking the lobby/pool. I'm not sure when the prior negative reviews were written since I found none of the room criticisms valid in 01/2013. Desk staff were helpful & courteous (gave us directions to Hoboken for a night out before the flight). Shuttle to the airport on time & courteous. The only negative was that the pool was being repaired but since we were off to PR, it wasn't all that important.

Room Tip: Ask for a room with a blacony overlooking the pool/lobby if the rate isn't higher.
  • Stayed January 2013, traveled with friends

472 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (83)
Chicago, Illinois
4 of 5 stars Reviewed February 1, 2013

This hotel is close to airport. It appears that it is undergoing some renovations. It's an older hotel with good bones. I found some evidence that the hotel is showing it's age. Some of the furniture was a little banged up. The grout work in the shower looked like an amateur did it. Couple of loose tiles in the bathroom that clicked when you stepped on them. Overall, I was quite pleased with my room. It was updated and cozy. Bed was inviting and comfortable. I saw evidence that the property was being improved (wet stain on doors, etc) Decent room service. Booked on Hotwire for $108 per night. Would definitely stay again.

• Stayed February 2013, traveled on business
St. Thomas
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 30, 2013

I almost missed my reservation because while on the Hilton website, I reloaded the page and the current date was replaced by my reservation date during the reload. I had just realized it 4 days prior to my stay that my reservation had passed! Thankfully the front desk fixed the problem and changed my dates for no additional charge.

I stayed at this hotel to visit my uncle in Jersey. Hadn't seen him since I was like 10yrs old - and I'm 30yrs!

It right near the airport and right near Jersey Gardens mall (Which has great stores and a especially a nice Sean Jean Outlet)!
The hotel lobby is created very nicely. The ceiling reminded me of a huge spider web. (Great Architect)! The room was about 98% cleaned. In my opinin, they need a bit of an upgrade for the bathrooms. I love soaking in hotel tubs and I refused to sit in that one..

Customer service was great and attentive. It was just a 1 night stay but it was certainly quiet and comfortable. I think I will be back.

• Stayed December 2012, traveled with family
Bethlehem, Pennsylvania, United States
3 of 5 stars Reviewed January 27, 2013

As a Hilton gold honors member I have stayed at many Double Tree hotels. This was by far the worst Double Tree I have seen. The hotel looks great on the outside. But the rooms need alot of updating. Furniture is extremly outdated, bathrooms horrible, not even premium channels were available. On their defense Hilton has not had this property for long, I hope renovations are coming soon. I know what Double Tree hotels should look like and this was not it.

• Stayed January 2013, traveled solo
BridgewaterHGI, Public Relations Manager at DoubleTree by Hilton Hotel Newark Airport, responded to this review, January 29, 2013
Thank you for taking the time to write a review about your recent stay at our hotel. We appreciate your feedback and we’re very sorry you were unhappy with our guest rooms. We would like to let you know that we are completing a renovation in all of our rooms. We hope to have another opportunity to serve you, if your travels bring you back to our area
Cheltenham
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 22, 2013 via mobile

Very clean, spacious rooms, plus mine had a view of NYC far into the distance. Nice atrium with chill out soft chairs and good pool area. Helpful staff, and complimentary shuttle service to/ from airport. But pricey - i was caught in storms and paid full price for about 5 hours use!

• Stayed June 2012
Portland, Oregon
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 21, 2013

After some customer meetings in NJ I dropped my rental car off at the airport and took the shuttle back to the hotel. The shuttle ride is a little long and convoluted, and I am not sure I would have found the hotel had I been driving myself, but the shuttle worked out well. The exterior of the hotel is a little uninspiring and there really isn't a lot around the hotel in the way of amenities, just other hotels, parking lots and a couple of light business units. There was some work going on in the lobby when I arrived so there is a renovation in progress. I was welcomed by the front desk as a Hilton Honors member and was quickly on my way to my room on the 6th floor.
Being an older building, it is solidly constructed out of concrete so there was no issues with noise from other hotel occupants. My room was long and thin with inadequate lighting but once the drapes were open it was much brighter. The room desk (a long built-in on one wall) was a bit tatty with some of the veneer chipped off by previous occupants, and the solar film on the window was starting to flake in places, but overall the room was relatively clean and tidy with everything you I needed.

This hotel is near the top of my list when I need to stay in NJ in the future.

• Stayed October 2012, traveled on business
Lewiston, Maine
3 of 5 stars Reviewed January 12, 2013 via mobile

Stayed a his hotel for business. Parking and wi-fi are not included? Seriously? 12.50 per day for wifi and 18 per day foe self parking. The only reason I stayed is because my destination was so close to this hotel. There is lots of competition nearby. My recommendation is to look around a little harder than I did.

Stayed January 2013, traveled on business

Been to DoubleTree by Hilton Hotel Newark Airport? Share your experiences!