“Absolutely Great Hotel!!!” 5 of 5 stars

Ranked #9 of 21 Hotels in Newark
Omaha
“Absolutely Great Hotel!!!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 18, 2010

I have stayed at many hotels in the East--New Jersey, New York & Pennsylvania. All I look for is a nice clean and quiet place--doesn't have to be fancy--many times I am disappointed. However, the Wyndham Garden Hotel Newark Airport hotel was absolutely great!! I stayed because I read that they recently had a major renovation--I was not disappointed. From the very nice lobby, to the friendly personnel, to the beautifully clean room, to the wonderful on site restaurant. Everything was terrific. I arrived several hours before check-in time--the individual was very pleasant and assigned me to a room exactly like I requested. Would absolutely stay there again!!!!

• Stayed April 2010, traveled on business
managementewr, Manager at Wyndham Garden Hotel Newark Airport, responded to this review, April 19, 2010
Dear Valued Guest...Thank you for the reviews. Here at The Wyndham Garden Hotel Newark, we appreciate your input. I will share your comments with the staff and congratulate them on a "Job Well Done"...Thank You

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (112)
Porto
3 of 5 stars Reviewed April 12, 2010

Positive:

- The room was generally clean and comfortable and decently sized.
- Parking is free (though you have to validate a ticket every time you need to go out which can be obnoxious if you have to wait for a long time in a line to do so).
- Free shuttle to the airport.
- Free wi-fi in the rooms - decent speed on the slower side.

Negative:
- Although the staff gets the work done and attends to your needs do not expect cordiality (you’ll never hear an “Hello”, “Thank you” or “Sorry”.
- It’s hard to check-in and check-out with very few staff for the number of guests the hotel holds.
- Breakfast is not included.
- It’s hard to get to Manhattan by public transport (you can take their free shuttle to the airport and then the free airtrain to either the train station or the bus terminals. From the train station you can take a NJ Transit train to NYC Penn Station, and that’s really expensive, around $15, or the the NJ Transit train to Newark Penn Station, also expensive, around $8. From the bus terminal you can take a bus, $1.35, to Newark Penn Station. From Newark Penn Station you can take the path train, $1.75, to either World Trade Center or 33rd Street in Manhattan) – in any case expect to take more than one hour or one hour and a half to get to Manhattan. The hotel could make things faster if they had a free shuttle to Newark Penn Station (even if only a few times a day).

CONCLUSION: Overal it's an ok hotel to stay if you're flying, despite the lack of free breakfast and non-cordiality of the staff; but definitely not ok if you have some hours or days left and you want to go to Manhattan.

• Stayed April 2010, traveled as a couple
managementewr, Manager at Wyndham Garden Hotel Newark Airport, responded to this review, April 14, 2010
Dear Valued Guest...Thank you for your comments...I apologize if the staff did not make you feel comfortable. I will forward your constructive comments to the respective parties, so they can strive harder to better our service. Also, I apologize that you found the commute difficult to NYC, most of the guests comment positively about the ease of the commute. Thank you again
Baltimore
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 12, 2010

The hotel itself is overall nice. However the restaruant could use some improvement. The celing above out table was leaking. And the service was slow both times we've been there. It's worse at night then in the morning. I think the problem is that they understaff. The foods good just ecpect to wait for it. I def reccomend the pizza its awesome and super chessey. Beds are a bit hard but the bedding is nice.

Stayed April 2010, traveled as a couple
managementewr, Manager at Wyndham Garden Hotel Newark Airport, responded to this review, April 13, 2010
Thank your for sharing your comments. I will forward them to the hotel's restaurant manager to review as constructive criticism, to better their service. Also, I apologize for the mechanical leak that took place in the restaurant during your stay. I am happy to say that the hotel's maintenance department has reported that it has been repaired...thank you again
New Jersey
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 9, 2010

I stayed at the Wyndham Gardens Hotel in Newark, NJ over the Easter break and had a very pleasant stay. The hotel in itself is extremely pleasant to the eyes from the lobby to the time you reach and including the room. The hotel staff was pleasant and helpful. I had acess to many of the amenities offered at this hotel. Many of which I did not partake but did look in on. Anyone visiting would be extremely pleased. It was quite restful especially when it came time to rest. I would rate it overall 5 stars. Thanks Wyndham!
Keith C.

• Stayed April 2010, traveled solo
Toronto
3 of 5 stars Reviewed April 6, 2010

Great Hotel, very friendly staff. This is my first time writing a review on this website and I feel I have too. Some other reviews were not good. The guy in the store was not too friendly. No fridge in the room, so I had to throw away all of my left overs. The hotel staff however were extremely helpful and polite. I went down to the front desk for all sorts of things, they gave me a menu to the chinese restaurant they order from and suggested I save money by going to Penn station to enter New York as it is cheaper. I would go back but not if I am going to New York as it is a bit of a commute to the City.

• Stayed April 2010, traveled with family
managementewr, Manager at Wyndham Garden Hotel Newark Airport, responded to this review, April 7, 2010
Thank you for the comments...I will share your feedback with the gift shop manager..so he can use your input to better their service. Thank you and hope to see you again
Cheshire, CT
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 5, 2010

I strongly suggest while staying in Newark, NJ that the only hotel worth staying in is the Newark, NJ Wyndham Garden Hotel.

The staff is exceptional!! I have stayed at this hotel numerous times and the staff is courteous, friendly and go over and beyond the call of duty.

The rooms are immaculate. There are many different types to choose from. All are very roomy and affordable. The beds are so comfortable. If you forget something all you need to do is call the front desk and within minutes whatever you need is at your door!

The Starlight Restaurant is very affordable and the food is excellant.

There is 24 hour van service to the airport. This runs approximately every 20 minutes which is very convenient for guests.

I am a flight attendant and usually stay at this hotel 2 or 3 times a month. After a long day it is a real pleasure walking into the hotel lobby and being received with a warm smile and courteous staff!

I feel like I am coming home!!!

Lori McCarthy, F.A.

• Stayed January 2010, traveled on business
managementewr, Manager at Wyndham Garden Hotel Newark Airport, responded to this review, April 6, 2010
Hi Lori...WOW !!!!..Thank you so much.....It is so nice to hear from a repeat guest...it is even nicer to hear that we were able to create a home away from home...Looking forward to your next visit.....Thank you again
seaside park, nj
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 4, 2010

We had a 6am flight to catch and decided instead of having to leave our home at 2:30am, we would spend the night. It was fabulous!! The person at the desk could not have been friendlier. The room was great and even though we were so close to the airport, we never heard any outside noise. The beds were comfortable, and the room was clean. We received our wakeup call and at 4am, boarded the shuttle and within minutes, we were at our terminal. It actually seemed as though we started our vacation a day earlier. We will definately stay there again if we have an early flight. It was wonderful.

• Stayed March 2010, traveled with friends
managementewr, Manager at Wyndham Garden Hotel Newark Airport, responded to this review, April 5, 2010
Dear Shirley:
Thank you so much for sharing your experience. I am happy that we met your expectations and your stay was enjoyable. Hoping to see you again

Been to Wyndham Garden Hotel Newark Airport? Share your experiences!