“I've seen better” 3 of 5 stars

Ranked #9 of 21 hotels in Newark
st-lazare
“I've seen better”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed 4 days ago NEW

The hotel is on the older side. The room smelled musty and I could'nt open the patio door it was jammed. The food at the hotel is average. It's ok if you are flying out of Newark airport but don't pay too much.

• Stayed August 2014, traveled on business

969 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (101)
5 of 5 stars Reviewed 1 week ago

I stayed here for two nights. The hotel is very well presented, the room was great and the staff are friendly and very helpful.
You cannot walk anywhere from the hotel as it is surrounded by highway, so need to have a car or take a cab - which could be expensive.
The food was excellent and I especially loved the snack bar in the main entrance which stocks a variety of goodies - most notably a jumbo brownie for only $2.95! This is a great idea and the first time I have come across this service in a hotel.
I did not make use of the swimming pool but there is one there which looks like a good place to relax. Although surrounded by highway it was not noisy at all at night so I had a fantastic night's sleep.

Stayed August 2014, traveled solo
King, North Carolina
2 of 5 stars Reviewed 1 week ago

My wife and I were put here by our airline after a horrendous number of flights from Copenhagen. We arrived at the airport at like 11 and waited for the shuttle to the hotel. Let me just say, Newark, as a city, not super nice. But, you never want to judge a hotel by the city surrounding as that is unfair. When we arrived, at 11:30, and began to check in, the restaurant was closed, even though they say they close at midnight. But, that's fine, they have a little coffee bar that you can buy muffins and drinks at. Check in was slow. The gentleman took about 20 minutes to check us in, even though we were the only ones in line. We got in the elevator, which really needs to be clean and got to our room, 510. It was a corner room and when we got in there, the best way I can describe it as dingy. It feels like there was an attempt to have it clean, but it failed.

The bed comforter had cigarette burns in it. The ceiling was yellowed and covered in dust. The sheets all had lint on them, and looked as though the sheets had not been changed. The bed was loud and uncomfortable. The pillows also looked like they had been used. The towels were not white, but not stained, they were just dingy. When we got to the room, the temperature of the room was 81. It took nearly two hours for the room to cool down, and being that we were leaving at 4:30 to go to our plane, we slept most of the night in a sweat. The toilet had not been flushed when we got in there, which was nasty.

Overall, the hotel is what it is, a quick stop over for people who were forced to be there. It isnt near anything, and the rooms are not that great.

As for value, I cant speak of it, the airline paid for it.

• Stayed August 2014, traveled as a couple
Sanger, California
4 of 5 stars Reviewed 2 weeks ago

Wife and I needed an overnight stay to catch an early flight out of Newark Airport. Chose Windham for its proximity, safety, and cleanliness. The room, staff, and free shuttle did not disappoint. The highlight was the restaurant, serving Greek food as its specialty. I wanted to see what else was within walking distance (little), and semi-reluctantly sat down in the simple dining area. It was the best Chicken Souvlaki I ever had! We had just spent the day in NYC and do not think we could have had better food there without paying 10x more. Kudos to the restaurant manager and cooks for creating a hidden gem in an unlikely setting.

Room Tip: We had heavy luggage and an early flight, so we requested the bottom floor. Our room was only 5 away...