“Lack-luster, much to be desired” 2 of 5 stars

Special Price
Plan Ahead, Save 25%
Ranked #10 of 21 hotels in Newark
Denver, Colorado
“Lack-luster, much to be desired”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed 3 days ago NEW

I am a former hotel "host" for the Grand Hyatt, a luxury hotel. I was excited to book this hotel because the photos on the website were appealing. When I got to the outside of the hotel, I was a little disappointed at its appearance yet still hopeful. Upon reaching the front desk, I found the customer service to be lack-luster. I was not greeted by the agents but rather had to get their attention. When I got to the room I was further disappointed as there was no refrigerator (which the website said that there should be in every room). I let that pass. It was when I got to the bathroom that I became sorely disappointed. For my $507 stay (of 3 nights) I was greeted with a commercial style toilet...the kind you see in 1950's public bathrooms. Absolutely unacceptable. In my 3 night stay my card keys were deactivated at least 3 time in which I had to ask for a new set. I did appreciate that the rooms were turned over when I asked and that the outside view was nice...but there is ALOT to be desired from this hotel. I will not be staying again. Coming from a brief background of hospitality and service is the measure I used to gauge my review.

• Stayed July 2014, traveled with friends

971 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (99)
Fargo, North Dakota
2 of 5 stars Reviewed 5 days ago NEW

Nothing to like here. It served the purpose of a place to sleep, nothing more. Luckily we only stayed two nights and didn't spend any time there besides sleeping. Door Lock malfunctioned, room safe was broken, they "cleaned" the room even though we put out the DND sign.
Your GPS maps better be up to date - the traffic pattern in this area is confusing

Typical East coast hospitality - none.

Stay at Hilton Newark Penn Station if you want to visit NYC, the PATH train station (Penn Station) is across the street. From the Wyndham you have to drive to everything, nothing else around. ( not that you'd ever want to walk anywhere in Newark!).

• Stayed July 2014, traveled with family
Wingham, Canada
4 of 5 stars Reviewed 5 days ago NEW

We were flying out of Newark so we stayed for the night. The pool was great and you can smoke out side the fence. The rooms were standard and very clean. The restaurant was very good, we ate lunch and dinner there. Shuttle bus was on time. Front desk very accommodating, no complaints at all.

• Stayed July 2014, traveled with friends
Princeton, New Jersey
4 of 5 stars Reviewed 6 days ago NEW

I needed a place with free parking and a airport shuttle and this place was ideal. Clean hotel, decent restaurant and good service. The wifi worked well but the elevator door was about as slow as any I'd seen before! Not much to do in the area but if you're keen to just plop in your hotel, eat dinner in the hotel and sleep this is a great option.

• Stayed July 2014, traveled with family
Newcastle, United Kingdom
4 of 5 stars Reviewed 6 days ago NEW

Clean and pleasant hotel. Swimming pool very nice and towels are provided at the pool. Meals and breakfasts in the restaurant very good and reasonably priced. Rooms cleaned well and fresh towels every day. Would recommend

• Stayed June 2014, traveled with friends
Brooklyn, New York
4 of 5 stars Reviewed 1 week ago

I missed my connecting flight to Denver 07/09 and had to go through a lot of hassle and wait to finally get a hotel voucher for Wyndham but that was not it. Then I had to catch the air train to P4 bcoz hotel shuttles don't pick-up from the terminals and when I finally got to p4, I realized I was not alone. We were almost 13 people and all had the similar story. Luckily we did not had to wait for the shuttle. Mr. Will( the shuttle driver) was very courteous and briskly took care of our luggage without wasting any time. The ride was quick and smooth. The driver told us that the shuttle runs every thirty minutes on the hour half hour and will drop us at the same location where we got picked up and also advised to give ourselves at least 20 minutes to get to the respective terminals.
When I got to the hotel and we lined in front of the reception I was the last person in line. Mr. Syad( the receptionist) literally gave a brief 30 second speech before starting to check us in regarding little things like wake-up calls check-out time, told us that they had tooth-brush, tooth paste and razors which can be provided upon request and the wifi passcode and so much that I can't even re-call. What amazed me and few other guests was that he checked us all in under 5 minutes and meanwhile doing so, he was answering calls and talking on the radio and talking to guest and answering their questions and he did it all by himself because I guess they only had one person to work at night. One thing about the receptionist I really liked was that there was a very rude guy who was bothering him regarding making calls through a calling card and just to get him off his tail he gave him his cell-phone and told him that it has international calling just come to a side make a call please and let me help these guests. The guest took his cell phone and called. This is personally something that I can never imagine that someone would do as far as customer service is concerned.
I got the room on the 2nd floor across the elevator. The hotel looks decent. The rooms are reasonably spacious. The hotel might be old but at least it is clean.
To sum it up, the hotel has a very humane environment and the credit goes to the employees because I believe that they make it worth the stay because of their attitude and courteousness and efficiency.

Room Tip: The hotel gets really busy in the mornings, I would prefer staying away from rooms behind the Recept...
  • Stayed July 2014, traveled solo
Don S, General Manager at Wyndham Garden Hotel Newark Airport, responded to this review, 6 days ago
I appreciate you taking the time to tell us of your experience. You can be assured I will share it with Syed and all of the associates in the htoel. We pride ourselves as a team to offer great guest service and it looks like it had a positive impact on you. I hope you will visit our hotel again n the future under better circumstances

Sincerely
Don Sheneman
New Jersey
2 of 5 stars Reviewed 1 week ago

I thought the customer service, and free wifi were very good. Other than that, this should be a 2 star hotel. Its not the worst place in the world, but there is not much to do, and there is nothing you can walk to. If you have to catch a flight allow 5-10 minutes for the elevators. For a 5 story building 2 snail paced elevators dont cut it.

Room Tip: if you like to watch air planes ask for an airport view.
  • Stayed July 2014, traveled on business

Been to Wyndham Garden Hotel Newark Airport? Share your experiences!