“stay away...” 1 of 5 stars

Ranked #9 of 21 Hotels in Newark
Union City, New Jersey
“stay away...”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed June 23, 2013

I named my own price on priceline and sadly this was the location that I won. There were bums outside in the parking lot begging for money. I had to wait in the lobby for my boyfriend while he brought in the luggage but I could not sit. Airport staff had taken over all the seats as their sleeping area. Supposedly we had free wifi but it never appeared. None of our devices picked it up. Thank goodness I wasn't there on a business trip. I would never have gotten my work done. I called the front desk, thinking I was doing something wrong, but the desk clerk said wifi is always spotty. Ok then! Air conditioner was so loud and clanky we couldn't have a conversation but it was too hot to turn it off. The stench in the elevator was unbearable but I can handle all that. The icing on the cake were the roaches scuttling out of the hairdryer when I woke up at 1 am to use the bathroom. But hey at least we had a hairdryer! My anniversary weekend was ruined. We packed our stuff up and went to La Quinta in wayne, Nj. Free working wifi, free breakfast and a nice suite upgrade after I described my disaster at Wyndham.

Room Tip: Book at another location
  • Stayed June 2013, traveled as a couple
managementewr, General Manager at Wyndham Garden Hotel Newark Airport, responded to this review, June 24, 2013
Dear Guest, thank you for your opinions. We apologize for not delivering a better experience. Yes our free complimentary WIFI was down on Saturday, we did our best to get connectivity but unfortunately our provider needed to make repairs. It is very unfortunate that all businesses are sometimes subject to mechanical problems. However your other comments; Bugs coming out of your hairdryer? Homeless people pestering guests in the parking lot? These opinions cannot be quantified. Once again we apologize for not meeting your expectations. Thank you!

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (112)
Elmwood Park, New Jersey
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 22, 2013

We booked the park n fly package which provided one night accomodation and up to 14 days to park the car.The shuttle service to the airport runs every half n hour.There is a restaurant that is very basic with all of the compfort foods and a lounge along side.The place is easy to get to but is along route one and nine but is laid back off the main road.You could easily miss the turn if your in the fast lane.We arrived on a very rainny evening.The checkin went well and we parked our car in the designated area for long turm parking.Our room was very clean,and easy to access.We brought a bucket of chicken with us and a bottle of wine and ate dinner in our room.We did not use the restaurant.We sat in the lounge for about an hour.There were many people using their I Pads and laptops.I do not no if there is a fee involved,but my cell phone was not receiving WI FI.We slept well and got downstairs at 5:40.to wait for the shuttle bus.There is a coffee station in the lobby that is open 24hrs.which was great.The shuttle arrived shortly after and took us to our flight in less than 10mins.The bus can hold 25 people along with the luggage.There were only about10 people at the time.We were very happy with this place for what we needed it for.We were going on vacation not a buisness trip.It worked well for us and we would stay here again

Room Tip: Give yourself some wiggle room when leaving for the shuttle,We decided to get the shuttle at 6 am in...
  • Stayed June 2013, traveled as a couple
Knoxville, Tennessee
1 of 5 stars Reviewed June 21, 2013

Went to New York recently on a trip with a group of middle school students and we stayed at the Wyndham Garden Hotel at the Newark, NJ Airport. Let me begin by saying this was the worst motel staff I have ever seen. They were rude, inconsiderate,and just plain lied to me. Our room did not have an extra roll-away bed in it, so we went down stairs to get one. They brought in a roll away bed that had "dirty white" stains on the outside of the covers and the covers looked as though they had not been cleaned. We went back downstairs to the front office and spoke to the night clerk Ms. S. (who was absolutely RUDE, HATEFUL, and offered to let us go and pick out another bed instead of the one we had. We went to the storage room where the beds were located and there was black mold growing on the walls and ceiling (a few of us were witness to this if they should deny this). I asked again for assistance and was told we were a group, that their company policy did not apply to groups, only individuals (NOT TRUE). They were to fix the problem by the next night, however they brought in a bed this time with scratch marks (CAT LIKE) all over the bed. Needless to say I slept in my clothes for the two night we stayed at their hotel. WORST HOTEL I HAVE EVER STAYED AT IN MY LIFE.....GO SOMEWHERE ELSE....YOU WILL BE PLEASED AND SAVE A TON OF MONEY......AND SLEEP BETTER TOO.

• Stayed May 2013, traveled with friends
managementewr, General Manager at Wyndham Garden Hotel Newark Airport, responded to this review, June 25, 2013
Dear Guest, thank you for your opinions, we apologize for not delivering a better experience. Sometimes it can be a challenge with group travel; delivering what we were asked and contracted in advance, and when the group arrives the wants and needs sometimes change. Accomodating these changes are our pleasure, when at all possible. As we explained to you when you were on site, our policy is to accommodate triples and quads with rooms with two double beds. We contracted this with the group leader. When you arrived and advised that you do not want to sleep with anyone, and need your own bed and to make it right , we should give you a free complimentary room, we unfortunately could not accommodate this request. We did not recommend putting a rollaway in the room due to space, but we still tried to accommodate you by supplying it for you. We did receive an apology from the group company for any discrepancies and thanks for trying to make the stay more comfortable. Once again we do apologize for any inconveniences, Thank you
2 of 5 stars Reviewed June 20, 2013

Beware when you book this hotel. Make sure you are getting what you desire and what you pay for, particularly concerning the park and fly packages. We found out we needed to pay an additional $73 dollars per car when we arrived, even though we thought we booked the park and fly package. The desk clerks may have just been doing their jobs, but they did not work too hard to make any accommodations or to help us out in any way except to throw the extra cost at us.
Also, we were looking for a quick, light meal in the later evening hours when we arrived. The desk clerk sent us a place called the Spanish Tavern with platters mostly costing $30 or more. The hotel must get some sort of a kick back, because they arrange the transportation in a van for you. Also, we were dressed in shorts and t-shirts only to arrive and find out the place was more upscale than we expected, like formal semi-formal attire.
The shuttle to the airport was timely and ran consistently though. Overall, this place was not worth what we paid having utilized other hotels in the area for the park and fly option. We had a family of four for one room, and even though the hotel was not nearly full, they gave us a king sized bed for four people in our room.

• Stayed June 2013, traveled with family
Dear Guest thank you for your opinions. We apologize for any inconveniences. It is always discouraging when we don’t meet a guest’s expectations. The front desk associate did explain your reservation and rate was for room only and not the park and fly package nor taxes. When the $50 to park your vehicle for 14 days was added to the price and the tax added; that was the additional $73 collected. $50 to park your vehicle up to 14 days is tremendous vales, and I apologize if that was not explained properly. The recommendation of dinning at one of Newark’s famous Spanish restaurant was a suggestion for you based on your request for a local recommendation, and NOT for a “kickback" as you noted, because I assure you there are none. The free transportation provided is supplied by the restaurant to all clients interested in trying their cuisine. I do apologize if you were not informed that perhaps better dressing attire would have made you feel more comfortable. Thank you
Grass Valley
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 19, 2013

Clean, comfortable room; helpful staff; mediocre restaurant; shuttle service to/from Newark Airport was only every half hour.

• Stayed June 2013, traveled with family

Review collected in partnership with Wyndham Hotel and Resorts

Irvine, California
3 of 5 stars Reviewed June 17, 2013

We spent a night with the family at Newark Airport at this hotel and it was very average. We paid $120.00 for a room and for that money, the hotel and the room could have been a little higher class. The rooms were very basic, with not a very comfortable bedding and small bathroom suitable more for a motel. Staff was very courteous and helpful and it is conveniently located .

• Stayed May 2013, traveled with family
London, United Kingdom
2 of 5 stars Reviewed June 12, 2013

Firstly,to get to this hotel ( without a car) one needs to get the shuttle which seems to be the only hotel shuttle which comes so infrequently !!The room info says it runs every 20minutes but you will be lucky if it runs every 40minutes!!
Secondly,the area surrounding the hotel is not pretty at all!
Although my room was fairly comfortable & clean ( ish) I did find a dirty towel & floor towel with someone's nail clippings on it ( not pleasant)
I was so tired the First night that after a lengthy flight & travel, I put in earplugs ( essential) & fell asleep ( the bed was admittedly,very confortable!!) but it was the second night where I had a nightmare experience....
After a very busy day in. NYC,I came back to my hotel room to have the guy in room adjacent to mine speaking so loudly( obviously no sound proofing whatsoever ,it sounded like he was in my room ) I
had to phone him to ask him to please be quieter ,he complied,only to open his bedroom window & smoke weed of which I could feel both the draft & smell the awful smoke In my room ( I had to call security to complain) !added to this on the other side of me,a couple were having an awful argument & I could hear EVERY word!!!
Unbelievable !!!no peace nor privacy at all!
With so many other hotel options in the area I will not choose to stay at this hotel again!!!

Room Tip: I asked for a quiet room & felt like I was sleeping in grand central station at rush hour so no...
  • Stayed June 2013, traveled solo
managementewr, General Manager at Wyndham Garden Hotel Newark Airport, responded to this review, June 19, 2013
Dear Guest, thank you for your opinions. We apologize for not delivering a better experience. It is always disheartening when we don’t meet a guest’s expectations. Our complimentary shuttle runs every 30 minutes seven (7) days a week. Sometimes delays occur with traffic condition and/or vehicle maintenance. I will forward your comments to the respective areas regarding your disappointment with housekeeping. I do apologize if the neighboring guests were not hospitable. Once again we apologize for any inconveniences.

Been to Wyndham Garden Hotel Newark Airport? Share your experiences!