“Great choice in Newark” 5 of 5 stars
Review of BEST WESTERN PLUS Robert Treat Hotel

You added BEST WESTERN PLUS Robert Treat Hotel to your Saves list
BEST WESTERN PLUS Robert Treat Hotel
3.0 of 5 Hotel   |   50 Park Place, Newark, NJ 07102 (Newark Central Business District)   |
Hotel deals
Offers & Announcements
Save up to 20%
Ranked #7 of 21 Hotels in Newark
“Great choice in Newark”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 9, 2013

Convenient location, good breakfast, internet worked well, quiet room and reasonable price. It's only about a ten minute walk to the train station, and there's a hotel shuttle when walking is not feasible. For the budget-conscious visitor to Newark, this is a strong option.

Stayed June 2013, traveled on business

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (98)
  • Polish first
  • Turkish first
England
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 9, 2013

When we recently visited NYC we decided to stay at this hotel as Manhattan hotels are extremely expensive. We definitely didn't regret our decision. The price we paid per night was less than half the price of a comparable Manhattan hotel and getting to Manhattan is quick and easy. We always used the hotel shuttle to get to Newark Penn Station and from there the Path train to Manhattan. You can walk to Newark Penn Station as it is only a ten minute walk but in the night the area gets a bit rough so it felt safer to use the shuttle.
The shuttle to the airport is great as it runs around the clock.
The hotel itself is very nice. The rooms were clean and of decent size. The breakfast was ok, a bit too basic for our liking.
If I went back to NYC, I would definitely stay at this hotel again.

• Stayed May 2013, traveled as a couple
calgary, alberta
3 of 5 stars Reviewed May 28, 2013

We were there for 4 nights to tour NYC. The shuttle is very handy but if you want to walk it takes 10 min or so. You will probably end up walking back from the metro unless your timing is perfect. The shuttle to the airport was a definite plus. The rooms are average and ours was in the back so it was quiet. The breakfast was varied enough and the ladies that worked the breakfast bar kept everything running well. Good stay overall.

• Stayed May 2013, traveled as a couple
Markham, Canada
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 27, 2013

We had two adjoining rooms, traveling with two teenage sons and 7 year old daughter. Nice helpful staff, but not overly friendly, and prompt check-in. I had 6 packages shipped to the hotel and four were waiting upon our arrival. The other two, I had to check at the front desk for. There were no indication on the phone or paper messages left letting me know that they had arrived. Rooms were clean and equipped with a small bar fridge. Ice machine and vending machine as expected. Rooms were renovated and nice. Nice fluffy towels along with basic toiletries in the clean but tiny bathrooms.
We stayed four nights and three days walked to Penn Station and on return every evening, i called for a shuttle pickup as we got off the train. We were impressed with the prompt and courteous service of the driver especially after reading the previous reviews. We never had to wait more than five minutes. As promised, they were on their way!
We did not use any amenities of the hotel or have any meals except breakfast which was more than sufficient. There was hot and cold selections, nothing fancy but enough to start your day with. Hard boiled eggs, pancakes from the pancake dispensing griddle, and microwaveable egg/bagel sandwiches, toast and bagels, corn muffins, a good selection of cold cereals, hot oatmeal, juices, whole apples and oranges, and a coffee machine is more what my family needs to start the day. The staff were friendly in there as well.
The PATh train is $2.25 to the World Trade Centre or around the corner from Madison Sq Gardens/grand central station. The problem is that depending on where you need to be, you may have to pay again for the ny train system which now equates to a $40/day trip for the four of us (our daughter was free says the attendant on the first day). You can purchase one metro card from the dispensing machine and reload for everyone. Just insert card And go through one at a time. Don't take the NJ Transit train unless you are in a hurry - it's much more expensive.

NJ Penn station didn't seem as bad as what the reviews were saying about it. It was clean, didnt smell and during the day it was a busy place. At night, 9-10pm, it was quieter and the homeless were more noticeable. I did not at anytime feel endangered or frightened by anyone. And like I mentioned before, the shuttle service arrived promptly which was great!

As for whether or not it was worthwhile saving a bit of money staying out on the city, I'm not sure whether it is if you are only coming for a few days. When The trains were running on weekend service, trains were crowded and the wait times were quite long in addition to the time the train takes to get to and from the city. You could be spending more than 2 hours a day traveling in and out of the Manhattan .

Bottom line: next time, for the price of two rooms like we had, we'll spend a little extra money and stay in Manhattan using Flipkey.com rentals, park the car in NJ at the train station for the duration of our stay, take the train in, and pick up the car on our way home. Great hotel stay and good convenient location if you're willing to make the commute, just convenience and spending as much time in the city is more of a priority to us.

• Stayed May 2013, traveled with family
New York
3 of 5 stars Reviewed May 25, 2013

I had to stay in the area for business, and found that this hotel was very close to the office I was working out of. The price was also good. The staff was very polite as well. The room was well appointed, clean, smoke-free, with a view of Military Park. The bed was comfortable.
However, for a lot of business, this might not be a good place. The wifi was slow at times and that could be a real problem if you are working on something from the hotel.

The continental breakfast was terrible. Greasy egg sandwiches and white bread. No fruit, I did like that there were hard-boiled eggs because I was able to pack a snack for later, but it is disappointing to see a sign that says "eggs" and find only hard boiled.

• Stayed May 2013, traveled on business
London, United Kingdom
1 of 5 stars Reviewed May 19, 2013

This was the worst stay at an hotel in my entire life. For the first time ever I had to change hotel as I could not stay there for another minute. It is a shame as maybe I was unlucky. I was given a smoking room and asked to be changed as I am asthmatic but was told the hotel was full. My room absolutely stank of cigarette and other things. I stayed there for the night hoping I could be moved room the next day. However no luck, the next morning they told me the hotel was still full.

However the worst of it all was that people in the room above me did not go to sleep all night. I think they used the room as a party room and somewhere to gather and smoke illegal substances, which made its way into my room. So I had to endure noises, screaming and fumes all night long. Which is not alright in my book.

I called the main desk to ask them to go and tell them to stop when I could not take more at 5h40 AM but it was still going on when I left my room at 10h00AM....

I have travelled in over 50 countries (rich and poor) on all continents and have never had such an experience... Maybe I was unlucky and the hotel is different during the week with business travellers as guests. In any case, if you decide to go there, do not get a smoking room and try to go during the week!!!!!

Room Tip: Ask for a non-smoking room!!!!
  • Stayed May 2013, traveled on business
Winston-Salem, North Carolina, United States
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 17, 2013

This hotel is clean, breakfast is really nice and it's close to Newark PAC and also a short walk to Penn Station. For the price and location nothing beats it, if you time it right you are in NYC in 30 minutes. Free Wi-Fi, cheap parking, good rates. Been here once for business and came back with the family. Will be back again.

• Stayed December 2012, traveled with family

Been to BEST WESTERN PLUS Robert Treat Hotel? Share your experiences!