“Fine for an airport hotel” 3 of 5 stars

Park & Fly
Ranked #3 of 21 Hotels in Newark
GreenLeadersBronze level
Minneapolis, MN
“Fine for an airport hotel”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed September 16, 2013

Stayed here for the first time last night. I had 4 rooms for a business group that attended the Giants game.

The location is great as you can literally walk across the airport parking lot to get there. There is no "sanctioned" way to do this as they want you to take the shuttle, but if you don't mind walking over a short area of grass, the walking method is quicker.

The lobby is nice and the bar/restaurant was packed for a Sunday night, possibly due to the Giants game.

This is a relatively large hotel. 10 floors with about 40+ rooms per floor. The public areas are well kept and clean.

The room was just OK. The bathroom was small but clean and looked to be revamped in the last few years.

The furniture was a bit old but in good condition. Ditto on the bed and it was comfortable.

The carpeting needed to be replaced. Its beyond cleaning. I didn't want to take off my socks! he arm chair and ottoman could be replaced as well.

I did not get my wake up call but that might have been user error as it was an automated system.

Concierge lounge was small but well stocked.

The HVAC had a high fan setting which provided nice white noise and I did not hear a single airplane even though my room faced the airport.

I paid $199 per room thru the Marriott website. I'd stay again if I had an early/late flight.

Room Tip: 10th floor is the top but beware of Concierge Lounge noise. My room faced the airport and was very...
  • Stayed September 2013, traveled on business

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (93)
Cary, North Carolina, USA
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 14, 2013 via mobile

This was my first time here. It is very close to the terminal but you still need to allot time for the bus ride as it was not a 2 minute ride. The hotel was nice, the bar had the Yankees game on which was not showing in the room. They had a good menu and some good micros. People were nice. Very solid stay, and might I add, not that much airplane noise for being so close. The noise I did have was a rude man doing a conference call at 11 pm, yelling into his speakerphone which was close to my head. The Marriott can not do anything about a rude idiot calling overseas at 11 pm.

Stayed September 2013, traveled on business
Edmond, Oklahoma
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 12, 2013

First time staying at this location, glad I did. Hotel was very clean, nice modern accents. Room were very comfortable also. Airport noise was very minimal. When I arrive, the staff was very friendly. Also they were cooking scallops in the lobby - yeah, I was sold at that point. Ate on property for Dinner - had a turkey tenderloin on a veggie salad, yum! Gym was really nice as well. Lots of equipment and room for weights. Lots of business & family travelers, but plenty of room at restaurants, business center, etc. Will certainly stay again.

Pennsylvania
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 12, 2013

Visited this hotel for a one-night stay that also included several on-property business meetings. When I first entered lobby, staff was greeting me as I walked in. Check in was efficient. I got to my room and discovered someone else was already in that room. When I came back to front desk to tell them of this issue, they went out of their way to make sure I was taken care of. I was upgraded to a nicer room, and also received a complimentary dinner. The only negative of this stay was the server in the restaurant during breakfast. I was having a breakfast business meeting and after ordering coffee, we wanted to chat a bit before we ordered breakfast. When we asked for some additional time before ordering the server commented back, "I'll have to charge you to sit here. You can't just sit here and not order." We assured her that we very much intended to order breakfast, but wanted to talk a bit before ordering. I felt this was rude and out of line, especially when the restaurant was 75% empty at the time.

• Stayed September 2013, traveled on business
Tel Aviv, Israel
3 of 5 stars Reviewed September 11, 2013

If you're thinking of staying here it's because you're using Newark. And this is the closest of all the hotels to the terminal. There's nothing special about it - it's an airport hotel after all - but it knows what it is and delivers the goods. It's tired, needs renovating but they all do around here. It's not cheap (about $30 more than some of the others nearby) but it's closer to the airport and it works. No surprises, nothing special, just an efficient Marriott.

Room Tip: Higher floors are quieter.
Atlanta, Georgia
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 11, 2013

Since my last visit a few years ago, this Marriott is undergoing a much needed renovation (at least the lobby has been renovated, nor sure whether they are updating the rooms, which are a bit dated). The quality and the service are exactly what I've come to expect from Marriott. Only surprise was how close the hotel is to the airport, but there is no safe way to walk to the terminal from the hotel. The hotel shuttle does not run on a set schedule but every 15 - 20 minutes. This means you have to arrive in the hotel lobby at least 20 minutes before you are ready to leave for the airport to ensure you catch the shuttle, and expect the morning shuttle to be VERY crowded. I had to stand the entire way. Seems silly when I could walk to the terminal faster, but I am not willing to risk life or limb to do so. I would suggest Marriott run more shuttles during morning rush hour, since that is the primary reason (I would think) travelers use this hotel.

Room Tip: Ask for a view of the airport or NYC.
Bristol, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 9, 2013

This is a rather belated review, but we found the hotel extremely convenient when transitting through EWR en route from London (on a frequent flyer points flight) to Quebec City. After a world-beating 15 minutes from doors opening to walking out of the terminal, we were misled by Ground Transportation, who told us that we had to go to P4 to get the shuttle to the hotel. In fact the Marriott is the only hotel whose shuttle can go to each terminal, but we lost little time because of this. We had an excellent room, which was very quiet. The view across the runway to Manhattan kept me engrossed over breakfast. I recommend this hotel for its convenient access to the airport, but it is an extremely good hotel anyway.

• Stayed October 2012, traveled as a couple

Been to Newark Liberty International Airport Marriott? Share your experiences!