“Great location” 4 of 5 stars

GreenLeadersBronze level
Cary, North Carolina, USA
“Great location”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 14, 2013 via mobile

This was my first time here. It is very close to the terminal but you still need to allot time for the bus ride as it was not a 2 minute ride. The hotel was nice, the bar had the Yankees game on which was not showing in the room. They had a good menu and some good micros. People were nice. Very solid stay, and might I add, not that much airplane noise for being so close. The noise I did have was a rude man doing a conference call at 11 pm, yelling into his speakerphone which was close to my head. The Marriott can not do anything about a rude idiot calling overseas at 11 pm.

Stayed September 2013, traveled on business

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (127)
Edmond, Oklahoma
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 12, 2013

First time staying at this location, glad I did. Hotel was very clean, nice modern accents. Room were very comfortable also. Airport noise was very minimal. When I arrive, the staff was very friendly. Also they were cooking scallops in the lobby - yeah, I was sold at that point. Ate on property for Dinner - had a turkey tenderloin on a veggie salad, yum! Gym was really nice as well. Lots of equipment and room for weights. Lots of business & family travelers, but plenty of room at restaurants, business center, etc. Will certainly stay again.

Pennsylvania
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 12, 2013

Visited this hotel for a one-night stay that also included several on-property business meetings. When I first entered lobby, staff was greeting me as I walked in. Check in was efficient. I got to my room and discovered someone else was already in that room. When I came back to front desk to tell them of this issue, they went out of their way to make sure I was taken care of. I was upgraded to a nicer room, and also received a complimentary dinner. The only negative of this stay was the server in the restaurant during breakfast. I was having a breakfast business meeting and after ordering coffee, we wanted to chat a bit before we ordered breakfast. When we asked for some additional time before ordering the server commented back, "I'll have to charge you to sit here. You can't just sit here and not order." We assured her that we very much intended to order breakfast, but wanted to talk a bit before ordering. I felt this was rude and out of line, especially when the restaurant was 75% empty at the time.

• Stayed September 2013, traveled on business
Tel Aviv, Israel
3 of 5 stars Reviewed September 11, 2013

If you're thinking of staying here it's because you're using Newark. And this is the closest of all the hotels to the terminal. There's nothing special about it - it's an airport hotel after all - but it knows what it is and delivers the goods. It's tired, needs renovating but they all do around here. It's not cheap (about $30 more than some of the others nearby) but it's closer to the airport and it works. No surprises, nothing special, just an efficient Marriott.

Room Tip: Higher floors are quieter.
Atlanta, Georgia
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 11, 2013

Since my last visit a few years ago, this Marriott is undergoing a much needed renovation (at least the lobby has been renovated, nor sure whether they are updating the rooms, which are a bit dated). The quality and the service are exactly what I've come to expect from Marriott. Only surprise was how close the hotel is to the airport, but there is no safe way to walk to the terminal from the hotel. The hotel shuttle does not run on a set schedule but every 15 - 20 minutes. This means you have to arrive in the hotel lobby at least 20 minutes before you are ready to leave for the airport to ensure you catch the shuttle, and expect the morning shuttle to be VERY crowded. I had to stand the entire way. Seems silly when I could walk to the terminal faster, but I am not willing to risk life or limb to do so. I would suggest Marriott run more shuttles during morning rush hour, since that is the primary reason (I would think) travelers use this hotel.

Room Tip: Ask for a view of the airport or NYC.
Bristol, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 9, 2013

This is a rather belated review, but we found the hotel extremely convenient when transitting through EWR en route from London (on a frequent flyer points flight) to Quebec City. After a world-beating 15 minutes from doors opening to walking out of the terminal, we were misled by Ground Transportation, who told us that we had to go to P4 to get the shuttle to the hotel. In fact the Marriott is the only hotel whose shuttle can go to each terminal, but we lost little time because of this. We had an excellent room, which was very quiet. The view across the runway to Manhattan kept me engrossed over breakfast. I recommend this hotel for its convenient access to the airport, but it is an extremely good hotel anyway.

• Stayed October 2012, traveled as a couple
boston
3 of 5 stars Reviewed September 6, 2013

I was in Newark for an overnight business trip and needed a convenient place to stay. Overall the hotel was pretty nice. The lobby was pretty. The rooms are a bit tired. I was on the 5th floor - maybe other floors are better?? The rate was expensive - $221 +tax + parking cost me about $290. For that price I would've liked a bit better.
Here is the run down:
I arrived around 7:00pm and was greeted very warmly at the front door. The person who checked me in - I think her name was Waafa, was so sweet. I also got the customary welcome gift of 2 water bottles and some pretzels and granola bar. Nice touch since I HATE to buy a $5 bottle of water at hotels! The elevators require a room key to use them. Kind of annoying but good for security I guess.

I got to my room and it was a bit musty. Seemed as though it hadn't been used in a bit. In general the room and the bathroom were very clean. Except when I pulled back the covers on the bed. I almost had a heart attack. Under the white bottom sheet you could see tiny black things everywhere. I immediately thought they were some kind of bugs. I tentatively pulled back the sheet to reveal brown down feathers! Phew, they weren't bugs, but I was still a bit freaked out and felt kind of creepy crawly when I got into bed. On top of that, the mattress was lumpy. It seemed that everyone who ever stayed in the room slept on the same side of the bed. At least the pillows were great.

The bathroom had pretty good lighting for putting on my makeup etc. The shower was nice and hot and good pressure.

There were lots of plugs on the base of the lamps, etc so it was easy to charge my devices. BUT WIFI was a charge.... this is 2013 - are you kidding me Marriot?? C'mon. So I used my phone to check email instead.

The next morning I used the gym. It was very nice. Had plenty of treadmills and elipticals. I think there were even changing rooms in there. They have an indoor/outdoor pool that looked nice too.

Checkout was easy - they slipped my receipt under the door and I checked out on the tv.

Had dinner at the restaurant that night and it was fine. Nothing amazing but good enough after a long day. Turkey burger with sweet potato fries was $15 and I splurged on a glass of Cab for another $15. Not too bad.

I would stay here again if I could guarantee a better bed and none of this down feather business! I don't like to even imagine bugs in my hotel!

• Stayed September 2013, traveled on business
Also consider these accommodations in or near Newark
Newark Airport and Port Newark
Courtyard Newark Liberty International Airport

Been to Newark Liberty International Airport Marriott? Share your experiences!