“Nice for short stay” 4 of 5 stars

GreenLeadersBronze level
Medan
“Nice for short stay”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 28, 2013

We were originally booked at other property, which for some reasons became unavailable close to our stay date. We got the Marriott Newark as replacement for one night.

1. Location
Because the hotel is located by the Newark Airport, it is a bit inconvenient for us to reach the hotel (we were traveling with Amtrak). But for people arriving or departing Newark Airport, the hotel is best located.

There is a shuttle bus to/from the Airport. Even though the distance is walkable, there is not pedestrian path between the airport and the hotel, so one has to take the shuttle. There is a complimentary phone inside the terminal to call the hotel, in case the shuttle is not running.

2. Arrival and Check-in
The lobby has a welcoming feeling, and the check-in process was quite quick and within 5 minutes from arrival we were going to our room already.

3. Room
Room is nice, clean, with complete basic amenities and comfortable bed.

4. Breakfast
This is where the minus point comes from. The staff seemed not interested in serving guests, quite rude when being talked to. Breakfast quality itself was also mediocre, definitely not what we would expect from a Marriott property.

5. Overall
Overall we would stay here again, but only if arriving or departing from Newark Airport. Otherwise would stay somewhere else in the city.

• Stayed November 2012, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (94)
London, United Kingdom
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 28, 2013

I needed a room for the day - I took a red-eye, landed, got an hours nap from 7.30 to 8.30. Left my bag in the room. They came and serviced the room. After my meetings, I came back to the hotel to get some food, work out, relax, do emails before taking my evening flight to my next destination. Convenient and really helped me out. Easy access to airport but you won't be hearing any planes - totally soundproofed.

San Diego, California
3 of 5 stars Reviewed March 24, 2013

Another high volume hotel that needs to work on customer interaction. Found front desk staff to be not the most appreciative; several calls to not so helpful operator inquiring where shuttle was when I arrived at EWR (took 40 minutes). The rooms are OK and I found my cleaning service did the bare minimum. Gym is OK.

I just feel that they do such a high volume/turnaround that they don't try as hard as they should for the price that you pay.

Thornton Cleveleys, United Kingdom
2 of 5 stars Reviewed March 22, 2013

I actually flew into a different NYC airport and rented a car to drive to meet a colleague. I arrive very late at noght and very tired. I pulled up and the Valet Parking guy took my car. I lumped my case, golf clubs and handluggage out of the car. No help was there to take them inside. I went to reception and was not made very welcome. Again no offer of assitance with my bags.

I lumped them to the lift and up to my room.

The room was very comfortable, a little on the small side but probably bigger than many of the average airport hotels. Comfortable bed

In the morning breakfast was help yourself and it was OK. Just OK I'm afraid.

I collected my bags and lumped them to the car again.

My view is that the management are not aware that the staff are like this when they are not there. i did get a note back from them to say how sorry they were. Based on that if I return to the area I would stay here again. The room and bed were very good so that was probably the important factor for me at that time.

I will report the next time I go

• Stayed February 2013, traveled on business
Asheville, North Carolina
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 22, 2013

The location, as well as speed and ease of getting from EWR airport to the hotel is it's primary positive feature. Our room was very nice and the room was incredibly quiet. (Don't know where DDO89 stayed, but our experience was the exact opposite.) The restaurant was nothing special, and the food and service were below par -- food came cold, and we had to asked the waiter for everything -- including the bill at the end of the meal. The bell-captain (with cap and cape) was a bit ostentatious (this isn't the Ritz in NYC, after all). The shuttle driver was quick to help load our luggage which was nice. The cost was pretty exorbitant, but one is paying -- in large part -- for convenience to the airport. After a twelve hour international flight, just getting quickly to a room was worth it.

• Stayed March 2013, traveled as a couple
Chicago, IL
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 21, 2013

Spent one night here recently while on a business trip. The room was clean, comfortable, and quiet. Service was very good--I arrived late (2 a.m.) and had messed up when I made my reservation (it was for the following night)--but the front-desk representative didn't make a fuss about it and checked me in without delay. I ordered room service a few hours later and the entire process was fast and friendly. My only complaint is with the airport shuttle service...I've stayed at this hotel a couple of times now and each time there's been a 20 - 30 minute wait at the airport for the shuttle, while other hotels in the area have vans picking up every 10 - 15 minutes. Given how close the Marriott is to the airport, the long wait between pickups is inexplicable.

Toronto, Canada
2 of 5 stars Reviewed March 21, 2013

I stayed here on a recent business trip. The hotel is very convenient if you need to be near the airport. However, the rooms are noisy and quite run down. Water pressure in shower is weak. On the positive, the workout facilities are very good - new and well maintained bikes, treadmills, machines, etc.

• Stayed March 2013, traveled on business

Been to Newark Liberty International Airport Marriott? Share your experiences!