“Not on my dime” 3 of 5 stars

Ranked #14 of 21 Hotels in Newark
Lake Mary, Florida
“Not on my dime”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed July 19, 2013

So my United flight was cancelled at Newark aiprort and this was the overnight lodging United provided. I already expected it would be nothing above average since they were picking up the tab. I was right...it was just that. I would never stay here paying out of my own pocket. The best thing it had going for it from what I saw was the 24 hour free shuttle to and from the airport that runs every 30 minutes. It's maybe a 10 minute (might be a little less) ride to the airport.

Although I had the lodging voucher from United with my name printed on it, the front desk staff asked for no id at check-in. I would think as a safety measure they would still ask for id. Anyone could have found a lost voucher and just showed up at hotel with it and I guess would have been allowed to stay since the staff did not check to see if the person showing up with the voucher was the same person as the name printed on the voucher.

It appears they tried to spruce the rooms up with the decor, but my room needed a good vacuum and a new tub (the hotel putting the bath mat on the floor of the tub to cover up the out of date polka dot design did not help). The hallways are not well lit...there's lighting, but that dull lighting used by hotels back in the 80s. My room also happened to be near a stairwell, which I was not particular about, but I really didn't want to bother going back down to the front desk and knew I would be there only for a few hours anyway.

I didn't have any issues with the staff and my room was clean (except the carpet floor needing to be vacuumed), but still I couldn't get out of this room fast enough and was on the shuttle that left at 3:30 AM to take me back to the airport. Just not up to my standards, but again it was no cost to me based on the situation so......

• Stayed July 2013, traveled solo
Bret E, General Manager at Ramada Plaza Newark Liberty International Airport, responded to this review, July 19, 2013
Thank you for your review of The Ramada Plaza Hotel.

I apologize about the reservation not being changed to your name upon arrival, you are correct this is a violation of our policy and we will reprimand the representative that did not follow our procedures. Thank you for pointing this out.

Looking through some of your contribution reviews on Trip Advisor it does stick out you are a fan of Marriott. I understand working over 23 years in the industry for every major hotel brand, guests who are brand loyal are very critical of hotels outside their preference, I beleive this is the case with yur stay.
Our much needed ongoing top to bottom renovation, which includes an ongoing lighting package, has been met with great feedback, I am sorry you did not appreciate it. I will look into the cleanliness of the carpet complaint. The tubs are not polka dot, due to requests from the mass majority of our guests, we installed non slip bath covers, the polka dots you mention were the removal of the old, worn out non slip covering.

Thank you for staying with us, we have a great relationship with United and make every attempt to make our mutual guests feel at home. My team is here to assist, if you were unsatisfied with yur accommodations we would have happily assisted in moving you to another guestroom to your liking. We are sorry you did not enjoy your stay and respect your opinion and feedback.

Bret Esbrandt

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (86)
Piscataway, New Jersey, United States
3 of 5 stars Reviewed July 14, 2013

So I booked this hotel for a one night stay on July 13th just for the purpose of having a place to crash. When I came into the hotel, the staff was extremely dull. They were not warming or welcoming, and seemed to be act as if they were too busy to answer questions which I believe the front desk is supposed to do. The person who answered all of our questions was the lovely woman who worked in the gift shop. She was helpful in suggesting places to go. We went out for a night in Hoboken, and we had an easy time finding our way as the hotel is conveniently located right next to the highway. We came back to our room at around 2 am, and found ants crawling on one of the beds as well as ants in a cup of juice we had on the counter. I am extremely baffled as to how ants can invade a room on the 7th floor (room 704). I called the front desk, and the guy said he would send someone upstairs, but could not give a precise time on when that would be happening. We waited up, but around 3am, my best friend decided to shower, and I decided to get dressed for bed. We heard a knock on the door, and immediately the maintenance man took it upon himself to open the room door. Thankfully, we had the chain on the door so he could not get in the room. I ended up sleeping in the bed with my best friend because I did not want ants possibly crawling on me. Lastly, when checking out I made the front desk staff (a slender indian woman) aware of the issue. She would not make eye contact and seemed as if having ants in your bed was not that big of a deal. The maids, the staff in the restaurant, gift shop, and snack bar were all extremely friendly and prompt. I can not speak for the other members of the staff. I personally would not stay at the hotel again, because it put a sour taste in my own mouth. There are plenty of people that had great experiences here, which is why I chose this hotel, but for $136 including the $12 I had to pay for parking overnight. I am dissatisfied, and will say it is not worth the money.

• Stayed July 2013, traveled with friends
Bret E, General Manager at Ramada Plaza Newark Liberty International Airport, responded to this review, July 15, 2013
Thank you for your feedback regarding your stay at The Ramada Plaza.

I am sorry we did not meet your lodging expectations. I apologize about the ants in the room, I am not certain how they travel, do know they are a very savvy species and find their way into homes, businesses and retail outlets especially during warm weather. I can assure you, upon hearing about this the next day our pest control company was in the guest room, as well as adjoining room and corridor to contain and prevent any further issues.

I will discuss with the employee you dealt with about her demeanor, she is an intern, which does not excuse the service, we will train her further.

We push to provide a positive memorable stay and failed in doing this for you. Once again I apologize.

Estero, Florida
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 13, 2013

Nice stay, would recommend if you need to be close to airport or Manhattan instead of paying Manhattan prices. Short drive to Manhattan. Checked in late and left early so didn't use any amenities but stay was pleasant.

Room Tip: Stay here if you need to be close to Newark Airport or Manhattan.
  • Stayed July 2013, traveled with family
Thank you for your very nice review of The Ramada Plaza Hotel.

I am very happy we were able to meet your lodging needs. We do hope to serve you again in the near future.

Newark, New Jersey
3 of 5 stars Reviewed July 10, 2013

My friends and I checked-in Thursday, July 4, for the holiday weekend. The hotel was very clean, with friendly staff and curbside assistance for the local airport. Upon arriving at our room I noticed an odd sight looking out our window. There were two white buses with blacked out windows. Thinking nothing of it, we then saw the larger picture and noticed barbed-wire fences with high towers. Just then it hit us, there's a prison next door, the New Jersey State Penitentiary! Nothing about it being there was mentioned on priceline or from the front desk. It's not even shown on google maps, just as an empty space; I'm telling you that it's there and the picture below proves it! Every morning we awoke to a view of inmates exercising in the yard.

Otherwise our stay was fine. The beds are a bit short for people 6 ft. and above, but our room had a refrigerator and was cleaned daily by the maid service.

Room Tip: Ask for a view that doesn't include the New Jersey State Penitentiary.
  • Stayed July 2013, traveled with friends
Bret E, General Manager at Ramada Plaza Newark Liberty International Airport, responded to this review, July 11, 2013
Thank you for your feedback regarding your stay at The Ramada Plaza Hotel.

I am happy our team, services, amenities and guestrooms met your lodging needs. Regarding the prison, Ramada Plaza was here way before the prison was built. I can assure several things you are in the safest location of all the hotels in Newark. Not only due to the visual deterrent, but I take the safety and security of my guests and my team so seriously that I only hire police officers as our security, our Director of Security is former Newark PD. As for advertising we are near a prison, I am not certain if that is marketing dollars well spent. Most of the more than 10,000 guests we serve monthly do not even comment on the view.

Please know my team and I are here to make you comfortable, if for any reason you are not satisfied with your room, view, service etc.. we will always do our best to make it right. Hopefully you will visit us again, if you do please contact me directly and I will ensure your view is more appealing. I apologize for the inconvenience this may have caused, but thank you for staying with us.

Bret Esbrandt

Been to Ramada Plaza Newark Liberty International Airport? Share your experiences!